How to configure stylus for left/right click?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by metalsiren, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

figured I would put a new thread so things don't get lost in the other stylus thread..

from the dell manual 5130...
    "The two buttons are software configurable for using features such as erasing, highlighting, or performing mouse clicks. You can use
    the tip of the stylus to draw shapes, select text, turn a page and write or sign the documents on your tablet.
    You can also press the button on the side of the stylus to perform the left-click and right-click functions
    on your tablet."

so how do you configure this? I want to be able to hover and click the pen button to act like a mouse... WITHOUT the tip hitting the screen....
    the configurations in the device are limited and I dont see this.... if I press the button, it does a circle thing but it doesnt do anything unless I hit the screen...

sorry new with the stylus thing...

2. sitongia

sitongia Scribbler - Standard Member

Good question. When I first got my V8P, the stylus buttons did behave that way, that you want, as mouse buttons. When the update came out that improved the handwriting, that button behavior changed. Some said that it was to support the documented erase function, but I haven't seen that in many apps. It does look like there is app-specific programming of the button functions. It would be great if there was an overall configuration option, or a desktop option to configure the buttons.

3. xrayzebra

xrayzebra Scribbler - Standard Member

As much as I love the V8P and sorta want to be a fanboy for Dell tablets, I have to say, honestly, that it looks to me like Dell simply cut and pasted something from a generic Synaptics' press release with no regard for reality. I would have hoped that the marketing materials and manuals would be accurate and truthful - however, I think there was a rush to market and little in the way of quality control in either stylus manufacture or "fact checking" on Dell's part in documentation and advertising. Perhaps a truth in advertising class action lawsuit would put us first in line for receipt of the next generation? :) Just joking... but seriously... I have scoured the control panel and other obvious places where one should be able to "configure" the stylus settings. Maybe by "software configurable" Dell perhaps meant that future ~firmware~ updates would "configure" it to work as advertised?

4. norvillerogers

norvillerogers Scribbler - Standard Member

With my old Wacom-based machine, this was under "Pen and Touch," but the venue 8 pro has far fewer options: just two check boxes for Pen buttons.

Has anyone figured out another way to do this? This is also pretty important for me: I'd like to map the "eraser" button (in quotes since it doesn't erase in any apps I care about) to middle click for gesture software support.

5. xrayzebra

Yeah, I have no use for "erase." I like the buttons configured for right click and double click. Unfortunately, mine seem to be configured for right click and "nothing."

6. norvillerogers

norvillerogers Scribbler - Standard Member

7. jkenny23

jkenny23 Scribbler - Standard Member

Did anyone figure this out? Or what version of the driver were you able to remap the stylus buttons? I would like to have the option to map the buttons to right click and middle click.

8. xrayzebra

So far, it looks to me as if this was simply FALSE advertising claim intended to make the product seem competitive. I have not heard that it actually works at all.

9. St. Lamar

St. Lamar Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a V8P, but when the circle is showing, the bottom of the button is being held down. The touch will be regarded as the same as a mouse right-click. I think that part is working correctly for the OP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.