How To Choose the Best Tablet Screen Size

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by Administrator, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

One of the most important decisions that must be answered when choosing which tablet to buy is the question of screen size. Would you be happier with a full-size, mid-size, or small tablet?

[​IMG]A snap judgement would be a mistake. Smaller tablets aren't really more portable, nor is bigger always better.

In reality, there are quite a few factors that go into this decision, like what operating system you prefer, your budget, and what you intend to use your tablet for.

Read the full content of this Article: Which Is the Best Tablet Screen Size: 7, 8, or 10 Inches?

Related Articles:

Gestures Can Make Your Apple iPad Easier to Use

How To Find Wi-Fi When Traveling

How to Choose the Right Tablet Operating System

How To Use a Stylus with Your Tablet

How To Resell Your Used Tablet for Cash

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. pellegew

pellegew Pen Pal - Newbie

I am fond of 7" and 12". I love my 12.1" ASUS ep121 for so many tasks an it's 12.1" screen. It is greate for displaying to windows at a time. That makes it easy to web browse and have a video running.

Or read email and copy things from One note.

However, if I have a single task running I would opt for the 7" screen over 10."

3. Rhu

Rhu Pen Pal - Newbie

There is a glaring omission in the "portability" section when comparing the two form factors:

7" tablets fit into the pockets of cargo pants--this is a huge win, if, like me, you feel no shame when wearing such things.

4. Jamison Cush

Jamison Cush TechnologyGuide Editor Staff Member

Remember when Steve Jobs said this?

“7-inch tablets are tweeners: too big to compete with a smartphone and too small to compete with the iPad. These are among the reasons that the current crop of 7-inch tablets are going to be DOA — dead on arrival.”

Yes, the sales 7-inch tablets pale in comparison to the iPad and iPad 2, but do you think Apple would ever reverse course? I seem to remember Steve Jobs also saying that the iPod did not need a screen...

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

8.9" is ideal for my uses.

6. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

After playing with the Sony S tablet in store I really like 9.4in screen size, more so than the iPad on my Touchpad. I would think 8.9i would be just as nice.

7. jbenham

jbenham Pen Pal - Newbie

The correct answer is the size that is best for the person using it. My wife loves her Acer A100 for reasons stated here for 7" tablets. I love my Sony S Tablet. It is everything they say it is.

8. rangerb3

rangerb3 Scribbler - Standard Member

Matthew,
    Thanks for taking the time to write this comparison article and for sticking to the subject matter. It was very informative and concise but, yes, it does inevitably come down to personal preference....

I just recently bought my daughter the Lenovo K1 Ideapad and hope she will enjoy it but, it did take a lot of time and research to finally settle on the 10.1" size. She's still young and has not caught the internet bug, so, it will mostly be used for playing games or academic growth programs.

For the past few years we have invested an untold fortune on Nintendo DS consoles and games and it just doesn't make sense to continue down that road when these new tablets can offer her so much more at a relatively inexpensive price. The cost delta between DS & Android games will more than make up for the initial hardware investment and will give her more ways to grow than her previous path!

9. jbenham

jbenham Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, DS, the memories. :) Mine has been collecting dust for over a year.

10. richman

richman Scribbler - Standard Member

Ultimately its' a combination of factors and no device is perfect in every situation so netiher 7" or 10" is "best". If I could tear the 13.3" screen off my T901, pump up the resolution and make it a tablet I'd be pretty happy for most things but the 7" Galaxy Tab is still a better GPS replacement in my car. But if I got a phone like the HTC Titan the Gtab might be used less.