How to check/use gps?

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by khos, May 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. khos

khos Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I just purchased the sony vaio duo11, what a nice machine but cannot figure out if my model has a gps unit, if yes how to use it?
    Anyone has some pointers, wich software to use with it to check?
    Can I use it as sat nav?

Kim

2. khos

khos Pen Pal - Newbie

In my device manager I see that I have "SONY GPS Module CXD5400" installed/listed, seems I have a gps... but how to use it?

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...how to use it?..>>

khos: Try running an application that can use GPS, such as Maps or Streets and Trips (if you have it). Also, check in Device Manager that the GPS module is enabled and working...

4. khos

khos Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your advice. I tried searching the windows store but find nothing, If you have any links to these apps I would appreciate it very much if you could post.. I am lost as to where to find any Windows Maps / Navigation software... quite weird.

5. Steve S

<<...If you have any links to these apps...>>

Kim: Aren't you running Windows 8? If so, "Maps" is one of your installed applications...

6. khos

khos Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh ok, I tried that, seems to work but you'll need wireless /internet connection... soooo that mean buying a 3g usb stick? unless I can find an offline maps app, doubtful unless anyone knows of one for win8 :)

7. Steve S

<<...I tried that, seems to work but you'll need wireless /internet connection...>>

Kim: One of the fundamental underpinnings of Windows 8 is that you have connectivity. The availability of wired or wireless WiFi is usually taken for granted in today's world. 3G / 4G will also work, of course, but WiFi is the fundamental mode of connectivity.

If, for some reason, you do not have available WiFi, then 3G / 4G may be your only option. However, many of the Windows 8 apps will not work without some form of connectivity...

8. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Here is a free application that you could use to test the gps function TurboGPS which has config options that allow you to access the hardware via the sensor driver or virtual com ports.

The package has a number of display modes so you can check if the hardware is working with out rendering a map by using the GPS output mode which displays satellite data, grid reference and time etc.

If you need a com port emulator you could take a look at this Centrafuse they offer a 30day free trial for their tool which you could use for testing.

This may or may not be useful in your case but here it is anyway OpenCPN which is a free gps map system focused on nautical mapping/charts.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. khos

khos Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the info.
    Something like google navigation on android would be ideal for me... maybe it is an opportunity to develop such an app for the wndows store , google nav is free and very good!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.