How to charging a new battery

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by area52, Jul 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. area52

area52 Scribbler - Standard Member

Just got mine and noticed the setup poster says you can insert the battery, plug it in, and turn it on right away. But I just want to point out the following from the Power Management pdf on HP's website:

To prolong battery life and optimize the accuracy of battery charge displays, follow these recommendations:

- If you are charging a new battery, charge it fully before turning on the computer.

- Charge the battery until the battery light turns off.
    NOTE: If the computer is on while the battery is charging, the battery meter in the notification area may show 100 percent charge before the battery is fully charged.

- Allow the battery to discharge below 5 percent of a full charge through normal use before charging
    it.

Also I notice the power plug seems to need an additional push, beyond the "click" I seemed to notice, or else it can easily become unplugged.

Sorry, the title should read: "How to charge a new battery". Moderator, please correct.

2. ziger

ziger Pen Pal - Newbie

this is probably a really silly question (sorry, I am a new user!).. but how can you tell when the battery is fully charged? thanks so much in advance!

3. R1C47

R1C47 Scribbler - Standard Member

when the blue lightning light at the lower-left of your screen turns off.

4. ziger

ziger Pen Pal - Newbie

^ thank you so much! I had the tablet off and closed... so I was not looking in the right place. It is off, so I guess it is charged - thanks again!

5. dannyboy22

dannyboy22 Pen Pal - Newbie

Is there a stand alone charger available?

6. dmlerner

dmlerner Scribbler - Standard Member

My T2010 came with instructions saying in no uncertain terms that the battery has no "memory effect" and that it did not need to be charged fully before turning on the computer the first time.

7. Se7enLawliet

Se7enLawliet Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been under the impression that lithium ion battery can't develop "memories".

Odds are HP just threw those instructions in there to cover their asses.

8. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's true. Li-Ion batteries have no memory effect.

Why? They just said things the user can do to prolong battery life.

No one really knows how to handle LI-ion batteries properly. Some say this, some say that.

And I say: Avoid deep discharges and avoid heat. Everything else are speculations.
    And because most of the notebooks, especially older ones, were poorly designed and heated up their LI-batteries the batteries died so fast.

To fully discharge and fully recharge a Li-Ion battery is only meant to calibrate the charge controller, not to avoid a non-existent "memory-effect"

9. tC_Crazy

tC_Crazy Pen Pal - Newbie

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.