How to add WWAN

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by zeek, Jul 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeek

zeek Scribbler - Standard Member

If you want WWAN it is possible to add it by purchasing the WWAN antenna and EM7345 WWAN card via the IBM spare parts for Lenovo web site. They ship via overnight delivery and the parts are currently in stock. The antenna part number is 00HW289. The card is 04X6014. Here is the link to order.

IBM Maintenance parts

Click on the "Order from the retail store" link or call the 800 number.

You will need to get a MicroSIM card and service from AT&T, Verizon or T-Mobile.

The Lenovo Thinkpad Maintenance Manual explains how to install the parts. Here is the link.

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/thinkpad_10_hmm_en.pdf

You also need an M1.6 x 2mm screw to hold the WWAN card in place. It is mentioned in the manual. It comes in the screw kit which is part number 00HW307. Alternatively, you may be able to find the screw locally.

After installing it two EM7345 devices will appear in device manager, the modem and the GNSS. You need to download and install the driver for the GNSS device from this link.

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/gtwo11ww.exe

Hope this helps!

FRANK KEI likes this.
  2. zeek

Sorry, I meant to post this in the Thinkpad 10 thread. I will repost there. Could the moderator please delete this post or add "Thinkpad 10" to the title?

3. koz2050

koz2050 Scribbler - Standard Member

It appears the EM7345 is the Global LTE version

ThinkPad EM7345 4G LTE Mobile Broadband - Overview and Service Parts - Lenovo Support (US)

The EM7355 is the North American Version (AT&T, Sprint, Verizon)

This is a link to a PDF from Sierra Wireless that describes the bands, etc.

http://www.sierrawireless.com/~/med...heets/Sierra_Wireless_AirPrime_EM_Series.ashx.

Also, could you confirm that you do indeed need the antenna? I've installed a WWAN module in a couple of different Thinkpads I've had and they all had the antenna wires preinstalled and just taped down near where the WWAN module slots in.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  4. zeek

My post was referring to the Thinkpad 10. I meant to post this in that thread (which I did subsequently). The antennas are needed for that system. They are not preinstalled in a non-WWAN system. You are correct about the SW models.

5. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Is the information on the original post up-to-date?

6. zeek

I believe so.

7. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Good job, mate!

8. Randall Garrett

Randall Garrett Scribbler - Standard Member

zeek,

Since you've changed to the EM7355 (right?), can you let us know what that part number is? I find going through their site a nightmare if you don't have the part number ;-)

TIA,

-Randall Garrett-
    /end/

9. zeek

Not sure if Lenovo offers it. I actually had one from Panasonic that I repurposed and used the Panasonic provided drivers.

10. TT137

TT137 Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow - a non-Lenovo internal device that was not blocked by the BIOS? That is a first. Has Lenovo finally relented?

Jadd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.