How to achieve ~10 hours of battery life on vaio duo 13

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Kasad, Oct 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

I was mainly referring to this site: http://www.mobiletechreview.com/notebooks/Sony-Vaio-Duo-13.htm

But also I think they even talked about it in the review here at tabletpcreview or laptoppcreview. Of course, these reviews were published a year ago, or longer, when the device debuted, and they had brand new units. I'm not an expert on battery life by any means, but it does seem to me as though your device's history as a display unit could, unfortunately, be causing the problem.

I just did a little more research on Win8.1 and my fears are slightly assuaged after reading this thread: http://community.sony.com/t5/VAIO-Hardware-Networking/Duo-13-After-Windows-8-1-Upgrade/td-p/206835

It looks like if you follow the right procedure - i.e. mess around with the driver upgrades, doing them one-by-one or something - you can avoid a lot of insanely weird issues people were having. We're talking stuff like the auto-rotate not working, blurred text, wi-fi not working... it was crazy across the board, but it couldn't persist. If it did, the product would be labelled as utterly dysfunctional.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
    stoneseeker likes this.
  2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Ours was getting 10+ pretty easily for the first while. After the upgrade the system gained so many issues. Sad since you can't revert. Our battery life is now nothing to write home about, but it used to be great. I wish we never upgraded windows, but that's the power of hindsight.

3. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Kasad, by the way, what does it say about your battery's health in the Vaio Control Center at the "Power and Battery" tab? Click the "Details" button.

I just got my Duo 13 in the mail yesterday. I caved in and opened it in spite of all my anxiety-filled posts the past week. I'm mostly satisfied but I actually currently having camera problems (lol stoneseeker) which I'll work on resolving later. I know for a fact that it works, because it recorded briefly under the facial recognition app and the general Windows camera app, but I get nothing but black in Arcsoft.

But back on topic, I think my battery is only getting around 8 hours at best, too. I'll have to use it more today and post back in. My battery health is listed as excellent. It could be Windows 8.1, or it could be that it truly matters that much that you strictly keep the display at 50% or less. I try to get away with putting it up around 60% at times.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  4. Kasad

Kasad Pen Pal - Newbie

Battery wear level is at 1,6%.

I reinstalled windows 8 after some hacks,but now Sony says my OS warranty has been broken since their OS OEM version should remain intact (I reinstalled from one of my own windows programs).
    After many phonecalls,I (hopefully) found a solution.I bought the recovery images.I'm going to reinstall everything .The sony reps also mentioned that there is a secret partition in vaio duo 13 which holds drivers necessary to format the tablet.That might explain why I lost 20 something GB of storage when I upgraded to windws 8.1 ?!

Neongolden ,for the love of god,make a backup using the vaio care programm BEFORE upgrading to windows 8.1 !That's what one of the Sony representatives told me I should have done! Once you install windows 8.1 (which I don't think you should) there is probably no turning back.

I think my vaio duo 13 was working fine on windows 8.1 ( I got around 6:30 hours of constant usage) if I see a huge improvement on windows 8 I'm not going to upgrade to windows 8.1 and this makes me sad as I will not be able to get all those cool updates of windows 8.1 !

I'm never ,ever going to buy a sony computer again after this horrible experience with their incompatible drivers (Ihave installed 30~40 driver updates manually because I some of them were not properly installed! The cursed vaio care program does not install all drivers correctly!

And now to address another problem,what will happen with windows 10?Will we get an upgrade?Or should we stay forever on windows 8?What if we want a format?Do we have to reinstall from windows 8?Because following their correct way of reinstalling drivers,we might as well do!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  5. stoneseeker

Kasad, when you upgraded did you flash the BIOS?
    If you did, how are you going to get the old BIOS on there again? Or can you run windows 8 with the new BIOS?

6. Kasad

Kasad Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't know how if the BIOS was flashed.They told me by installing the OS from the dvds I'll get exactly the same software as I had when I got the tablet.
    Also yes,I run windows 8 on the Ultrabook,yet the drivers are still malfunctional.
    I think the only explanation is that the vaio care program as well as the drivers they have in their site are not the ones that come with the ultrabook!

7. Kasad

Kasad Pen Pal - Newbie

Good news people!The tablet was successfully formated using an external dvd writer (one of samsung's dvd writers which cost me around 24,90 euros).The tablet came with all the bloatware and so did the recovery ,wasting precious format time and space,as well as extra time while I had to uninstall the updates.Total cost ~64,90 euros.
    Vaio control works perfectly fine.

Now should I install windows 8.1 after I do all vaio updates and windows updates?I don't recall losing functionality when I upgraded (plus I read somewhere microsoft is ditching windows 8 support and I don't want any virus in the pc).

I'll check the battery and if it lasts more than 6:30 in ~30% I'll think about updating or not.

8. stoneseeker

If you update to 8.1, do some CAREFUL research on the Sony site first. They have a section highlighting exactly step by step how to upgrade to 8.1 with very specific drivers and order of drivers that will make or break the update.
    If you just try and update through the normal means (following windows prompts and using Vaio Driver Utility) something will break.

Let us know how it goes, I am curious as I'd like to try uninstalling windows and starting from scratch on our when I get time too. So did you use a OEM copy of Windows? or a generic copy legal download that you simply typed your code into?

9. Kasad

Kasad Pen Pal - Newbie

I installed from the recovery disks (11 dvds) I bought from sony.It never asked me for a key.

When I updated to win 8.1 ,everything was working fine.In order to upgrade to win 8.1 I followed the instructions I read from some sony site.Install all vaio care updates,then install all windows 8 updates ,then upgrade to windows 8.1 .

stoneseeker likes this.
  10. stoneseeker

Ah, so you had to go buy the recovery disks. ok, I may try that in the near future. Unless you wouldn't mind sharing the .iso? Or is it specific to one user?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.