How to achieve ~10 hours of battery life on vaio duo 13

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Kasad, Oct 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kasad

Kasad Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,
    I've recently purchased a vaio duo 13.
    I used powercfg in cmd to estimate battery wear and it found it was 0%.
    I closed sim detection,I turned off bluetooth,I set the sound at 20% and the brightness at ~20%.
    I also set the tablet to silent mode ( no fan) in order to increase battery life.

I have opened the following programs: firefox (or chrome),skype and onenote (or matlab instead of one note). I get around 7 hours of constant battery life.

Is there any way to escape the 7 hours limit and achieve 10 hours of constant use?I think I have to do something really simple ( or perhaps I don't).Do I have to turn off wifi and not use internet to achieve close to 10 hours?

Thanks for a lot your time.

Edit: I am mostly using the tablet in laptop mode with the keyboard exposed.I also deactivated the backlight option because I thought the light was draining the battery fast.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Did you purchase it new? Ours was getting around 10 hours or more when we first had it.
    Does it have 8.1 installed? Are you putting it in standby often? Connected standby drains battery quicker and I wonder how optimized the device is for the new features that came out after its release. If you haven't updated to 8.1 yet, DONT. We lost front webcam function and introduced a host of otehr issues and there no going back after the BIOS flash required for the update.

Other than that I'm not sure, as there is only 1 power profile available.

Check your processes and see what the average CPU uses is when you are doing your thing to see if there are any unusual power draws.

3. Kasad

Kasad Pen Pal - Newbie

The tablet is new,but was a display unit for around 8 months.
    I have it open almost all the time (never sleeps).
    I don't know about connected standby,I will check it now.
    How do I check about the average cpu usage?
    Yes,I did update to windows 8.1 (update 2 as well) and I think I lost some functionality with the reader (when I try to use the pen on the apps for anotating handwritting the app crashes).

In this thread http://community.sony.com/t5/VAIO-H...r-upgrading-to-windows-8-1/td-p/223897/page/5 the tech guy mentions mc afee program needs to be removed.I've removed it and I'm waiting for a better battery life.
    They also mention a 7~8 hour of constant use having only one or two programs active at a time (streaming videos and netflix).

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  4. Kasad

Kasad Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd like to ask ,does the battery life has significant difference on windows 8.1 than in windows 8?
    If so,should I downgrade from 8.1 to 8?I don't care about wasting time downgrading/installing apps and programs,I want the battery life to be at least 9+ hours :)

Thanks.

5. Kasad

Kasad Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried installing windows 8.0 from usb and now it doesn't recognize them,since it only recognizes win7/win 8.1.

Now I have to reinstall windows 8.1.A reminder to people who do want to downgrade,do not attempt it at vaio duo 13 after you have update to windows 8.1 !

Now I need to find a recovery iso,will a win 8.1 pro work?

6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Just found these responses. Yikes, I never tried downgrading back to 8.0... there is a way to restore factory defaults and such, I think Sony highlights how to get the computer back to factory state on their site, although its also possible you would have to send it in to get your BIOS flashed back to the original?
    Isnt the recovery on a partition of the SSD itself?
    Getting 9+ hours battery life may not be possible if your machine was running for 8 months straight with the battery inside on a shelf. It sounds like your battery is running about what it should be for being under constant heat like that without ceasing for such a period. Hopefully you got a deal on it as consolation..
    Have you tried checking the health of your battery with a free battery monitor?

7. Kasad

Kasad Pen Pal - Newbie

The recovery image was mising and when I tried to reset it was showing a certificate error!
    I've run both battery bar and powercfg ,the battery wear level is at 0%!
    I think I'll try to deactivate the microsoft search indexer as it seems on other people it uses a huge ammount of battery (on two people it reduced their battery by 50%,which is ideally close to the one I'm getting).
    I'll keep you informed.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  8. Kasad

Kasad Pen Pal - Newbie

I d like to as ,was your duo 13 achieving 9+ hours of constant battery use?Never sleep,but with optimized settings I get around 6~7 hours of constant battery life having/using:
    -open browser with 3 tabs
    -One note (desktop)
    The max battery life calulated by battery programs is around 7 hours and 30ish minutes

9. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Pretty scary stuff to read, as I have a factory refurb Duo 13 on the way in the mail that I spent almost $1000 on. It has a 90 day manufacturer's warranty so I hope the battery was inspected or replaced. Can the battery on these things be replaced at home, or is it soldered onto the device like everything else?

The reviews over the past year on battery life from sites like mobiletechreview were glowing, especially as it pertained to battery life. It's supposedly easy to get 10 hours at 50% brightness from standard use. Frightening to hear about the 8.1 update causing problems as severe as disabling the camera functions entirely.

Anyway 7:30 is not what I signed up for... if that's how it's going to be, I'll definitely end up wishing I had gotten a Flip 15A instead. That has a dedicated GPU, costs at least $100 less, and averages just an hour less than what you mentioned above. The battery life is seriously the reason I went with a Duo 13 instead. :(

Now I wonder if I should even open it. It comes with a 15-day return policy...

10. Kasad

Kasad Pen Pal - Newbie

Can you link to the site claiming the insanely high battery life?
    I've recently installed a program called power plan assistant which balances battery life to at least 8 hours.I don't know what settings it does,but it reduces screen bightness to less than 17%.

Testing in windows 8.1:
    I've been using one note and chrome firefox as well as downloading a steam game (dota 2 ) for at least 2 hours (with 20 minute breaks in between) and it used ~20 % battery life,which means it drains around 10% per hour.With the SAME brightness and a custom power plan I made,I could reach 6:30 hours of battery life (according to 2 programs I use for battery life).
    Battery wear level is at 1,6%.
    I don't know what this amazing program does ,but it deffinitely improved my horrible battery life from 6:30 hours to ~10.
    But 50% brightness reaching 10 hours?That seems like what I should have,but I don't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.