How scratch-resistant are tablet screens, anyway?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by SimsHsia, Jan 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidJlin

davidJlin Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Friends,

There have been many threads regarding screen protectors, and it does seem to make some sort of common-sense to use one for tablets and PDAs. But does anyone know how inherently resistant are tablet and PDA screens to scratches from using the stylus anyway?

For example, it is physically impossible for a softer object (stylus tip plastic) to mar a harder object (tablet screen glass). That's why a simple test that would-be brides do to check their 1-ct rocks is to see if it can leave a scratch in a piece of glass ... (hopefully not their tablet screens!)

So, has anyone had the experience of actually scratching up their tablet screen with normal use of their stylus?

I've seen showroom tablet screens badly marred, but I have a hunch they were caused by (very stupid) people using a ball point pen on the screen or maybe using the sharper edge of the harder stylus casing, not the softer, white tip. I can also image a scratch can occur if a piece of sand (silicon) alighted onto the screen and it gets dragged on the screen when the stylus tip runs over it, thus scratching the surface.

But barring such extraordinary events, can a tablet screen actually get scratched up by applying too much pressure with the stylus?

David

P.S. I can imagine one possible detriment of applying a screen-protector over a notebook screen ... it acts as a blanket over the screen, trapping in the heat that the screen is producing. I would imagine that amount of heat is very small, though.

2. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well I got a screen protector and it got scratched before my tablet did. I mean it got scratched imediatly by accident. AS for the heat thing I don't think that is a problem. God this dead pixel is driving me nuts!

3. Crashless

Crashless Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had my X41 for a couple of weeks now, and haven't noticed any noticeable marks on the screen.

That said, I'm still paranoid, and am researching possible options for screen protectors.

I inclined to agree with your logic about hard objects v soft objects, but the tip of the stylus isn't exactly felt - it's plastic. So I'd imagine the risk is still there - especially if you're forced to use the docked TIP a lot, causing repeated writing over the same part of the screen. You're bound to scratch it eventually.

Now what I don't know, is whether the actual surface you write on is replaceable, or if it's part of the LCD display itself. I'm very curious about this, and if I find anything out I'll post it.

4. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Believe it or not - just tracking a speck of dust with your pen tip can add a tiny scratch. Over time this "micro-marring" can cause the screen to appear less clear. That is in my opinion as to why you might choose to use a screen protector. On the other hand, you may not like the screen protector, so just use your Tablet to your content and when it wears out, it wears out. It was meant to be used anyway. ;)

5. davidJlin

Yes, nothing lasts forever. And, when the time comes, a well-worn tablet screen would be a great excuse to buy a brand new tabletl! :D

6. poetdante

true. But a protector can't hurt. Would you want a progressing worse and more damaged Scree. I say protect it as long as you can

7. davidJlin

Yeah, I guess that would be a prudent course of action, somewhat like insurance, but far cheaper.

8. poetdante

ah don't get me started on insurance! I knew I should have bought the extended warenty but I did not and it will cost me 400 to get this dead pixel off (which I will not do but argue with toshiba!)

9. davidJlin

Does extended warranty cover DPs? I thought extended warranties merely increased the number of years of the standard warranty, which does not cover DP's (unless they exceed a certain minimum threshold).

10. poetdante

DPs? What are those? I know that the entire screen is covered by extended warenties. No questions asked is what I read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.