how "repairable" is T901?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by urran, Mar 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. urran

urran Pen Pal - Newbie

"repairable" is not the right word but I can't seem to change the title. I apologize

Hi, I know this is not really the right place to ask this question but it is hard to find user's feedbacks on the fujitsu brand so I figure that this is my best bet. I am currently looking for a tablet or a convertible that have several characteristics and so far fujitsu T901 is the only one I can find. I am asking this question here because there seems to be several variations within any model of fujitsu and few people are familiar with them. I am looking for:

10in to 12 in screen (mainly because of the weight and portability)
    i5 processor or more
    8gb of ram
    ssd drive
    capable of handling windows 8.1 or above
    replaceable battery (i.e. you can just remove a few screws to do it)
    a usb 3.0 port
    touch screen in tablet mode (no stylus required)

is there a comparable fujitsu with the above specs that are smaller than the T901 (i don't need the optical drive or smart card slots or things like that)? Also, it seems like there are T901 that has touch screen and some not?

Any further information would be greatly appreciated. I see used T901 on ebay for under $300 or so with the above specs (I don't know how much a brand new one is) so if it works out that seems to be a great investment. Many thanks!

2. IloveNY

IloveNY Pen Pal - Newbie

T902 is a very popular laptop. why don't you consider it?

3. urran

urran Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks for your reply. Honestly because most of the completed fujitsu with decent specs I found on ebay is either T901 or T900. I figure it may be a safer bet.

Also, in case I do go with a used fujitsu T901 or similar model and need to upgrade it, which components can be upgraded by an average user like me (as in, only require removing a few screws and not disassembling the whole laptop):

battery? (I think it is the easiest one to replace)
    ram? (i heard it is fairly easy and cheap to upgrade too)
    ssd? (I think this actually requires bursting open the laptop-probably the hardest to do because i read here that the screws can be stripped off)

Many thanks again!

4. IloveNY

IloveNY Pen Pal - Newbie

T901 is plastic, T902 is aluminum. And you can upgrade T902 as well, only 3 screws to upgrade RAM and SSD.

5. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

The T901 has a 13" screen, and you appear to want a 12" screen max. The T7xx series might be a better fit. The T731 is the 12" version of the T901, and every version after that should offer what you want. If your only concerns are ram, ssd, and battery, then all Fujitsu convertibles should have easy access to those. If you want to upgrade the CPU, that's a whole other story.

If you want Windows 10, I'd recommend the T732/T902 versions or newer. The T901 works with Windows 10, but getting it to work is rather fiddly, and I don't know if the T731 is similarly fiddly.

6. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

@urran repairing any Fujitsu is major PIA because parts are hard to source, and overall Fujitsu discourages repair by end users. I had a T901, and still have a T734 which I thoroughly upgraded and even repaired once. These two machines are the only convertible tablets that allow you to replace the CPU with quad-core i7; however, T902 offers an overall better package. Upgrading them, as well as later T7XX/T9XX machines, is easy - except for WWAN upgrades, those are pretty tough.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  7. urran

urran Pen Pal - Newbie

thank you so much for all of your replies. These are the kind of pointers that I have been looking for.

I know this will be completely off topic but I figure since you and other members here have experience with fixing these kinds of laptops and probably not just with the Fujitsu brand, I may have the best chance of getting an answer: are there other small 2-in-1 laptops with touchscreen that are (comparatively) "easy" to repair or upgrade (in term of acquiring the parts and putting them together)? I know these kinds of devices are not meant to be tampered with by consumers. Maybe at least a 2-in-1 that are well known hardware-wise so there is more help available?

I suck at repairing things but I figure I can learn a few things even when I fail. Many thanks again for answering my question!

8. Starlight5

@urran Lenovo Thinkpads are the easiest and cheapest to acquire parts for. Business-class devices are usually meant to be tampered with.

9. urran

urran Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you so much for your very valuable answer. I hate to continue asking off-topic questions but I cannot follow up with you by any other way. is there a specific model of thinkpad you are alluring to? The one that I know of is x220 or x230 but I do not think that is what you meant.

10. Starlight5

@urran I am talking about thinkpads in general, including but not limited to x220 and x230 tablets.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017