How quiet is the HP TC2400 with 2 Ghz 533 Mhz FSB?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Daring, Feb 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi folks!

At first please forgive me my bad english, i'm german ;-)

Ok, i want to buy a new tablet notebook 12". I've read many reviews of the HP TC4200 and hardly all reviews were extremely positive. Important for me is the point of noise. A Notebook has to be quiet! The reviews approved this the HP TC2400. Unfortunately i have only found reviews from the HP TC4200 Models PV984AW with 1,7 Ghz Centrino and 400 Mhz FSB and PY433EA with 1,86 Ghz Centrino and 400 Mhz FSB. There is also a model EK743AW with 2 Ghz Centrino and 533!! Mhz FSB http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/de/d...9-282919-282919-282925-12225508-64936389.html . I often read that Notebooks with 400 Mhz FSB are louder than notebooks with 400 Mhz FSB. This is a important point for me. If this Theory is right i would buy the HP PY433EA model with 1,86 Ghz Centrino and 400 Mhz FSB http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/de/d...9-282919-282919-282925-12225508-52996807.html . If the theory is wrong i would buy the HP EK743AW with 2 Ghz Centrino and 533 Mhz FSB.

It would be very nice if anyone could answer my question, especially by anyone who has own experiences with the 2 Ghz Centrino model.

PS: The links above are from the german HP Website. On the US Site there are much things different. There aren't any models but rather own configurations. I hope you understand the technical details on the german HP Site.

Best Regards

Matthias

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

First off, I think you mean tc4200, unless it's called the tc2400 in Germany. Secondly, the FSB does not determine heat. I wouldn't get the 2.0 GHz though if heat is a concern. The extra CPU power isn't really going to help you anyway for most tasks.

3. Daring

Daring Moderator

I have the 1.86GHz and heat really isn't an issue. It does get warm when under load, but otherwise remains fairly cool. As far as noise goes, under normal use the machine nearly silent. When taking notes or surfing, I can't hear it at all. If stressing the processor for extended periods, the fan will kick in, but even then it is a quiet whir, not a windstorm.

4. Dragonlord

@ Brian

Sorry my mistake. It's also called TC4200 in Germany. My Question: Produces a 2 Ghz Centrino much more heat than a 1,86 Ghz Centrino? I want to buy the 2 Ghz model, because its only 80 € (~100 $) more expensive than the 1,86 Ghz model (in the shop i want to buy, the official additional charge ist 500 € (~600 $).

@ Daring

Exactly this review i read often in the www. Because of this i want to have the TC4200. If i knew that the 2 Ghz model ist also quit like the 1,86 Ghz model i want buy it immideatly.

Thx for your statements!

5. Person

Person Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the 2ghz model.

My desktop is louder than the laptop sitting right in front of me. Needless to say that this baby is quite.

Heat is not an issue. Even when the fan turns on, it ususally doesnt say on for long time. All day today I have been doing some burn in tests.. Hasnt been hot all day.

6. Dragonlord

Means that the fan doesn't turns on? What are burn in tests? Applications which needs full CPU Power? How loud is the fan when it turns on?

Thx for your statement!

7. Daring

Daring Moderator

There are several kinds of burn in tests. One is to just leave the laptop idle for extended periods and make sure it doesn't have any problems. A better test is to download programs like Prime95 which will stress the CPU. There are similar programs for HD & GPU. You run these for several hours (or overnight if possible) and see how things are in the morning.

I don't have a db comparison for noise level, but under normal use the fan is silent. When stressed, it can be heard, but would say it makes more of a whirring then a blast.

8. Dragonlord

I have the TC4200 since two days an unfortunately i can't say this machine is really quite. Even on running at 800 Mhz i can hear it. Under normal speed at 2 Ghz the fan turns on very loud in short intervalls. The Temperature goes under normal uses (only internet) up to 80 C° (176 Hahrenheit) Otherwise the TC4200 is really great.

9. Daring

Daring Moderator

I am really surprised. While I don't have the 2GHz version (I have the 1.83 GHz), mine is neither loud or hot. I would be concerned about the heat however. Using NHC I average around 40-50 C just wi-fi on @ 800 MHz. 80 C is way to hot to for idle temp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.