How pressure sensitive is the Asus Vivotab 8?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by sunnydayz, Jun 28, 2017.

1. sunnydayz

sunnydayz Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm looking around for portable tablet pcs to buy so I can work on my art commissions anywhere. Is this a good tablet to draw on? I will be using paint tool sai. I'm worried about the size, but I also like it since it is small.

2. Yoyo

Yoyo Pen Pal - Newbie

I was hoping someone else would answer- I'm no artist. More like a scribbler.

Pressure sensitivity and accuracy are decent, as they are on the Surface Pro 1, except within 1/2 inch of the edges of the screen. There both are inconsintent. The little bit of drawing I do, as well as note taking, I avoid the edges by scrolling.

The biggest factor other than edge error is actually dependent on the stylus. I've used the factory 'twig', the Surface Pro 1's stylus, the EMR type Bamboo Feel stylus, and Fujitsu's compact, 2 button model.

Pressure sensitivity is best with the Bamboo model and the factory twig; the Fujitsu and Surface styli have higher minimum pressures and feel less natural to use.

I actually use the Fujitsu one because it has 2 buttons and an eraser. A more art oriented person would certainly prefer the Bamboo stylus.

Use the search function to find comparisons for various styli. I remember several threads covering this rather extensively.

Hope this is useful.

sunnydayz and WillAdams like this.
  3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Not enough horse power under the hood to do more than just some quick sketching. ;)

P.s.
    With your budget I would look for a used Surface Pro 2.

sunnydayz likes this.
  4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Despite its aging Bay Trail Atom Core.....I always found the Asus Note 8 was quite capable from a performance perspective. It actually would run Photoshop CC 2014 pretty damn well, and both Manga Studio/ClipStudio Paint and Sketchbook ran perfect on it.

The clincher though.....that 8-inch screen size.......while fantastic for portability......for me proved just too small to really do work on. I lied to myself for a while and took that thing everywhere with me telling myself I would draw and sketch on that thing everywhere because I could take it everywhere.....but I really never did that much art because of the tiny screen. I had the same issue with my Note 5 phone.....9.7/10.6 inch range is the smallest I can comfortably work on.....anything smaller is more novelty then functional. I have to agree with Azzart though....the larger 10.6 inch screen of the Surface Pro 2 makes it a more useful art machine.

sunnydayz likes this.
  5. sunnydayz

sunnydayz Pen Pal - Newbie

Is the surface pro 2 fast enough to keep up with me working on full artwork on paint tool sai and photoshop and not just sketching?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

It's an i5 faster than what I had with the i5 surface Pro 3: it won't do miracles but it would be a pretty solid machine where one could easily work on colouring a comic book page with no issues. (Aside from the obvious small screen size)

sunnydayz likes this.
  7. Broacher

Broacher Pen Pal - Newbie

I love sketching on my Asus Vivo 8. It's so light and small. It's just about the perfect size and weight for a true digital sketchbook.

And by far, the most 'responsive' feeling app I've found for sketching is Leonardo, an independently developed drawing app created by Swedish artist/programmer Henning Tegen. I believe he rewrote the pen driver exclusively for his app to give the sketching user the maximum 'feel' and low latency you would expect from real media.

The interface too is all geared towards 'getting out of the way' and yet still has a lot of clever innovations to keep access to tools and settings quite high. It uses an 'infinite page size' which makes it incredibly easy to sketch, move a drawing out of the way, and start sketching again. And especially for this, the touch pinch/zoom is incredibly responsive and smooth.

It was designed originally for the SurfacePro but it works great with the Asus tablet and stylus, which comparatively -- is capable of a very sensitive touch response. Part of the speed is also the way the program calculates brush strokes AFTER the major stroke is done. That sounds crazy or unworkable but the speed gain is more than worth it. It also launches very quickly with a low system resource overhead.

Now it's not inexpensive, relatively speaking, nor does it have all the tools of some of the major drawing apps. But once you try the demo, and experience its liveliness, you just might be convinced it's worth adding.

A demo is downloadable here as well as a good video that shows you it in action: https://www.getleonardo.com/

Henning is also very receptive to feedback and quick to implement improvements.

The app is now somewhat struggling about how many more features to add before losing touch of that sprightly, uncluttered experience, but I think as a solo developer, he has a lot more passion for maintaining the best overall digital sketching experience.