How much RAM do you USE?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by manhattan, Aug 8, 2007.

?

How much actual usage out of the RAM you have, do you see?

1. I got 4 gigs, and it's total OVERKILL!

19.7%
  2. I got 4 gigs, and my system is barely getting by.

12.7%
  3. I got 2 gigs, and my system is crawling in pain.

14.1%
  4. I got 2 gigs, and I got ridiculous room to spare.

8.5%
  5. I got 2 gigs, and that hit the sweet spot

47.9%
  6. 4 gigs? 2 gigs? Are you crazy?!? 1gig is more than I will ever need!

4.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manhattan

manhattan Scribbler - Standard Member

How much RAM do you have installed?

How much RAM do you see your system actually making use of?

On my TC1100 (w/Vista Ultimate) 2GB seems overkill. I've not seem my system use 1.5GB yet (but then again, it does have a dedicated Video Card with its own 32mb RAM)

2. jenarelJAM

jenarelJAM Scribbler - Standard Member

You left out 3gig options. I have 3 gigs and like it. Saves money over 4 gigs, and doesn't have really any performance decrease (on 32bit systems). Right now, with a few different applications open, I'm using 43% of my 3gb, which is ~1.3gigs? I'd say 2gb would do you for vista, but I want(ed) the extra for when I do more memory intensive tasks. I've heard that cad takes a lot of memory, and plan to use this computer for cad when I start school in the fall. Also, as my x61 has integrated graphics, it shares memory from my ram, and so having more doesn't hurt. Means I can basically run as many programs as I want at once without slowdown (assuming they're just idling in the background).

Also, if you really have 32gb of dedicated video memory, I think the US gov't wants your computer for area 61. "Good" dedicated video memory is 256 MB, and "excellent" video memory is 512 MB.

3. manhattan

manhattan Scribbler - Standard Member

Have you looked into how much of a performance hit you take; if any, by not running dual channel?

4. abbot

abbot Pen Pal - Newbie

According to several posts to this board, running 3GB still utilizes Dual-Ch. The new Intel Chipset, or maybe it was Vista, or a combination of both, uses 1GB from your 2GB stick and treats it as Dual-Ch with the other 1GB stick, and then uses the remaining 1GB from the 2GB stick when it needs it. Or something like that...

I had my X61 shipped with a single 1GB stick and the 2GB stick arrived from newegg today. The difference was phenomenal! Boot time went from a slow-finger-tapping grind to what felt like instant boot. The difference was so astonishing, I immediately felt like it was the best $120 I have ever spent. And this is coming from a guy who went from 512mb to 2gb on his desktop on an XP machine, and that was night and day too. But nothing like this. Press power button, BAM, finger swipe, and hello windows.

If anyone out there has 1GB in their X61 running Vista, I cannot more highly recommend the extra memory purchase. Seriously people! On Day 1 with the new tablet, I still defaulted to my faster WinXP 2.4Ghz P4 desktop. Now, I FINALLY have the complete screamer I envisioned my new tablet being and cannot put the damn thing down.

5. NotABigTruck

NotABigTruck Pen Pal - Newbie

I believe that is known as asynchronous dual-channel. It does not perform quite as well as synchronous dual-channel, but it is still a performance increase over single-channel. I seriously doubt the performance difference between asynchronous and synchronous dual-channel would be noticable, but I'm just pointing it out. In any case, dual-channel should generally not be a large factor when deciding whether to add more memory. Dual-channel, whether asynchronous or synchronous, only provides a slight performance increase, and the benefit of more memory far outweighs that.

6. tabletdiehard

tabletdiehard Scribbler - Standard Member

I haven't heard anything called "synchronous dual-channel". In dual-channel interleaved mode, page requests on two channels are asynchronous.

In PM965, if we put two memory modules then it will work in the interleaved mode. How much interleaving can be achieved depends on how balanced the layout is. Even with an unequal memory population (e.g. 2GB+1GB), the memory runs much faster than the non-interleaved mode (e.g. 2GBx1), because (on average) 66% of the memory accesses can be interleaved. In reality, a 2GB+1GB setup would provide at least 95% performance of a 2GB+2GB setup, assuming only 3GB of RAM is used.

7. g2tl

g2tl Scribbler - Standard Member

3GB
    Just right (Vista uses around 1.5 to 2 at home)

8. MikeRoz

MikeRoz Pen Pal - Newbie

In my experience, Vista will use fifty to seventy-five percent of available memory when doing general computing tasks, regardless of the installed amount of memory. As much memory as you give it, Vista is willing to use. The memory is used to cache frequently-used programs and data, in order to reduce loading times.

9. gil-galad

gil-galad Pen Pal - Newbie

My desktop, which runs Vista 64bit, has 2GB. That's OK for many things, but Adobe CS2 can take a bit more, especially running multiple Creative Suite applications at the same time. I'll probably upgrade to 6GB some time soon.

10. sox

sox Pen Pal - Newbie

I've got 4GB and Vista. I'm running quite a lot of stuff like a virtual PC and have a couple of different browsers open as well as Outlook 2007 and Excel 2007 and it seems to run like pretty slow, Outlook especially! I've taken Norton off and replaced it with NOD, which did speed up boot time, but it's still over a minute.

I must admit, that I am disappointed and am thinking that I might put XP Tablet edition on instead, but I know that is going to be a real hassle to get hold of and down load all the drivers for and hate to think what I'll lose if I do. :-(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.