How much RAM do you use/buy? What processor family?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr. Boosh, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hmm, this sounds like an OS-related and/or disk driver issue. This might be fixed via a clean install of the OS, but probly too much hassle given that you're in the middle of projects right now.

If you need help debugging, I'd be happy to provide assistance in your build thread. ;)

stoneseeker likes this.
  2. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I built it a few months back with the help of a bunch of people on the forums:

i7-7700k
    GTX1080 ROG STRIX edition
    32gigs RAM
    1TB M.2 SSD
    ASUS Z170I Pro motherboard

Its been amazing with the cintiq 22HDT and the ultrawide Dell 3417W, so much powerful real estate!

4. Mr. Boosh

I'm surprised with the work that you do that no one recommended a dedicated scratch disk. I suggest getting an 850EVO or another 2.5" SSD that serves as nothing but a scratch disk for your Adobe programs. You will absolutely notice a performance difference, I did.

stoneseeker and Azzart like this.
  5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I figured with a TB of SSD I wouldn't need it. Your saying it helps to have a dedicated disk set aside for scratch, even if you have plenty of room on the one?

6. Mr. Boosh

Yes. I know this is specifically for Premier: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/scratch-disks.html but this should explain the concept. You get better performance when you separate the project files and the cache, when they write to the same drive that is often your bottleneck in performance.

You can find scratch disk performance benchmarks and articles on the web. I'd go for a SATA SSD that your budget allows considering the types of files you work with, the extra cost of NVMe isn't justified in my opinion.

My setup before when I had my desktop was a 512GB 850EVO for the OS, 250GB 850EVO scratch, and a 2TB 2.5" storage HDD that was accelerated by an m.2 SSD which basically turns it into a hybrid since the cache of the spinning hard disk is taken care of by the SSD.

I miss my build, all of that stuff including water cooling was in a shoebox sized mITX case.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    stoneseeker likes this.
  7. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It has to do with latency and queue depth, which this table handily summarizes:

(Anandtech)
    [​IMG]

SATA drives use ACHI, which hits it limit in heavy read/write scenarios like scrubbing/previewing in AE and Premiere:

(Anantech)
    [​IMG]That is why I recommend you upgrade to an NVMe drive, since having a separate SATA scratch disk would at most, only double your read/write performance.

(It would also be a good way of testing if that slowdown error is related to the disk/OS not playing nice eath each other. ;))

stoneseeker likes this.