How much RAM do you use/buy? What processor family?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr. Boosh, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

16GB for me. 12GB was more or less OK too, while 8GB is by all means not enough.

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Allow me to be the outlier and say that I regret restricting myself to only 32 gigs RAM in my desktop (max the motherboard supports).

I max out the 32 gigs RAM as soon as I've opened a big file in After Effects.

64 is my new minimum, but since that is impossible in a tabletPC, I would simply say that 16 gigs is my minimum on a portable machine, and I would find it to be painfully inadequate for many projects.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What do you do with After Effects? (Um.., to really display my ignorance.., what IS After Effects?)

I'd be super stoked to be able to be a fly on the wall to watch you work! Too bad you're in a different hemisphere these days.

stoneseeker likes this.
  4. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wow, those are some big files. I'm curious what I hit when I have Photoshop, Illustrator, and my vinyl cutter software open at the same time. My design work is often logo related so there's not really complexity in terms of color, and I'd say at most I'd be working with 15-20 layers in a relatively small Photoshop canvas.

With that said, I don't feel like ever bumped up against my 16GB limit, but I am guessing in the scenario I just explained I was probably well over 8GB since I also had Chrome open (likely 5-10 tabs) plus 3 other Chrome instances (Hangouts, Inbox, and Gmail), plus probably a few other things.

I think I'll stick to 16GB for my main machines. Not worth it in the long run to wish I had more with no way to upgrade.

5. stoneseeker

Wish we could have a work day together too, let me know if your ever in Vancouver and make sure to swing by!

After Effects is Adobe's very popular compositing and FX software, where you assemble your layers of video, fx, backgrounds and animations into your comp. It's such a beast on RAM its pretty ridiculous. The software also heavily relies on scratch disk so you can live scrub through 4k footage and its especially demanding when its 16 bit color and contains 3D assets, FX and 3D cameras. Since I work in 2D mostly, I'm usually compositing 2D Flash animation with massive 8k-ish painted backgrounds with hundreds of layers and groups in a 2.5D space -- 3D cameras and those 2D layers arranged in Z space away from the camera to give a impression of depth.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I don't know what's worst, the fact you need all that ram or the fact I understand your explanation of AE. :rolleyes:

7. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I can make do with 16GB since I stick to 2D. Trying to learn Z Brush atm and my instructor says 32GB will be necessary when I get proficient enough for ptoduction jobs.

8. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I understood it too and don't even work with that program!

9. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Shucks! I didn't realize you'd be compositing in 4K on your rig! Is your scratch disk performing alright? From the sounds of your AE projects, you might get some good mileage from an NVMe SSD upgrade (which your Z170I Pro m.2 slot can take).

Unfortunately flash prices are still crazy high at the moment... :(

But how's the rig holding up in general? (It still should be a beast of machine for pretty much everything else I'd expect ;))

10. stoneseeker

Its been great, and although that last AE project certainly put it through the paces, it handles all the large high res animation and design jobs I do now, plus any virtual reality (I bought an Oculus Rift cause why not?) tasks I throw at it with ease.
    My only gripe is occasionally it needs to be restarted as there is some sort of system interrupt glitch that accumulates over many sleep/wake cycles, at least thats the most sense I can make of it. My drawing will be glitchy and performance is choppy in basic stuff till I restart. Restarting fixes it fine though. Bluetooth is also annoyingly crap, but since I disabled the onboard bluetooth and used a dongle instead its far more stable.