how much power consumed under standby/hibernation?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by hydrocyanic, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hydrocyanic

hydrocyanic Pen Pal - Newbie

currently have a macbook pro that is soon go away and i would like to praise it on the speedy recovery from closing the lid of it, my vague memory of windows was that when it was under standy, recovering from it was ok, but consume a little more power over hibernation. on the other hand, hibernation is a little slow and often cripple one or two application in the process.

what is the best solution when i have to standby often, yet when i need it everything will run fine?

or am i over worrying myself or out of touch with windows?

tablet arriving is t2010, fyi.

thank you

2. gordoncahill

gordoncahill Scribbler - Standard Member

Hibernation should use no power as it writes the RAM contents to hdd and then shuts down. Sleep uses a little power as it keeps the RAM alive.

Hibernate takes about 20 seconds per gig of ram on my machine. Sleep takes about 5 seconds in and 3 coming out. I loose about 1-2% of battery life per hour in sleep mode. These results are consistant on all the computers I own.

Gordon

3. hydrocyanic

sounds good enough, thanks

4. mistah_g

mistah_g Pen Pal - Newbie

On a semi-related note, I was wondering if someone could help me with this question that I've been struggling with for a while:

Is it okay to constantly change power source? i.e. have the laptop plugged in and then remove the power without turning off the laptop? Does this damage the battery in any way? I have a habit of turning off the laptop before disconnecting the power supply, but I don't think this is necessary in 2009...

Does this change at all if the laptop is in sleep mode? i.e. put to sleep while plugged in, goes to sleep, unplug while sleeping?

I only ask because this SEEMED like it was an issue with an older laptop of mine but I'm not 100% certain.

Thanks so much!

5. hydrocyanic

to at least maintain a battery's health without killing it you should at least drain and recharge the battery every month or 2

unless you babysit your battery, but that might kill the purpose of portable...