How much of a discount on the phone?

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by nikecar, May 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danf.pa

danf.pa Gateway C-141x

Hi everyone!

I've noticed that many people have said they have gotten better deals with Gateway over the phone, and I was wondering how much of a better deal can be gotten. Can they give better deals on the base prices than the "discounts" on the website? Or do the deals only show up when you add extras?

Thanks,

Daniel

P.S. This forum has been a wealth of information for me! Thanks to everyone who has posted here!

2. soapgraphicgirl

soapgraphicgirl Pen Pal - Newbie

I was able to get my C-141XL today for $1100. That price included shipping and tax too! I had the configuration emailed to me and a rep emailed me from there and I started the process of haggling.

When all was said and done, the sales person used the online $200 discount, plus a $50 coupon code I found online and then the sales person did some magic to bring it down further for me since $1100 was all I had to spend.

HTH!
    Donna

3. danf.pa

danf.pa Gateway C-141x

Thanks,

I bought my C-141x during the Graduation weekend sale:

$999
    -300 instant savings

I also got Free Shipping, a Free Case, and a Free Cannon Pixma Multifunction printer, after rebates.

Total: $750

The unit alone, with tax and shipping, would have been $1100.
    Although I'm wondering if the regular price is $799, and the $200 discount that has been around is just a gimmic.

I probably could have gotten a better deal by haggaling a bit more, but I thought I managed pretty well.

The tablet is real nice, no problems to report so far.

Thanks to everyone who has posted in the forum!

Daniel

4. ClockworkDoc

ClockworkDoc Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Daniel,

Tried haggling on the phone one day, but the Gateway guy kicked my ass and I almost spent full sticker price. Damn he was slick. I decided to try my hand online. I clicked on the talk to a customer service rep button (on the right in the C-142 order page). Over several days, I logged in and spoke to different people.

The strategy that I finally used was to ask for a quote and to tell the person online that I wanted to compare their price to HP. I customized the HP to make it comparable to the Gateway model. I sent the price and asked the rep to match it, which they did!

Good luck getting a deal!

5. ThomasJ

ThomasJ Pen Pal - Newbie

I customized my 142XL online earlier today, and my bottom line price would have been a few cents shy of $1,410, before tax and shipping. Spoke to Emma over the phone. With my student discount and after some haggling, I paid about $200 less (before adding in tax and shipping). I'm expecting delivery about 5/29...

6. xantho

xantho Pen Pal - Newbie

If you don't like the discount you're getting, hang up and call back later!

I got my 142xl after 7% tax and shipping for $1300 even with a 3 year warranty and carrying case

7. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

exactly.. try someone else. Works for credit card companies or other companies. If you don't like the service, hang up and try again.