How much is “feel” worth?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by saetia, Feb 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SquireM

SquireM Pen Pal - Newbie

I’m doing most of my Tablet PC shopping (or any shopping for that matter) online. Mostly because the local electronics warehouse stores don’t carry the tablets I’m interested in, but also because who wants to go through the hassle of the crowds and less than knowledgeable sales people. That said, I found an older Toshiba R15 and Gateway (not sure which one) at Best Buy. The sales “boys” didn’t know specifics about them but assured me that they were “very cool”.
    Now to the point.
    For whatever reason they were in different sections of the computer department, so it wasn’t side by side comparison, but the Gateway just felt better, more solid. I noticed when I opened or adjusted the screens, the Toshiba wiggled and rocked a bit before stopping, where the Gateway just stayed. Also, the screen lock on the Toshiba seemed loose to me. The Gateway just felt better built. My question for you is: how much should that matter? On top of that, given the nature of the tablet pc, should I even consider a model I can’t handle first?
    Thoughts?

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I can confirm that a number of users have been very happy with the Toshiba R15. As a matter of fact, the R15's big brother (Portege M4) uses the identical case, hinge and lid lock - and the M4 is a business class tablet. On the other hand, the Gateway CX2618 that you saw is a newer model with a faster CPU and better graphics. You should be aware however that the Gateway touchscreen is passive so you won't have the same quality writing experience that is offered by the Toshiba Wacom "Penabled" models.

Sorry if I confused you with all these details, but I hate to see you misled by the "boys" at Best Buy who just want to sell you a tablet because it is "cool".

3. BenHur41

BenHur41 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm in the same boat. There are two retailers locally that stock tablets. Best Buy (Gateway) and Office Depot (Toshiba R15). The display model at BB is bad -the digitizer doesn't work- and somebody stole the power cord for the R15 (that's what the sales guy said!) so it doesn't work either. I'm left with doing all my comparisons online using other's opinions and experience as my only guide. I might try finding a retailer in Pittsburgh and making the hour and half long drive to check out something in person. Likely as not, I'll end up buying one "hands-off". That's for sure if I opt for a Motion since I hear they don't use resellers.

4. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I got the r15. I did not know about "feel" but once I got it I felt what some call an aura. It felt very comfortable. as for the wiggly part, it worried me, but never gave me a single problem. The quality is very good. Now as for the gateway I was pained to touch it. When I turned it it was hard and slow. it took forever to convert. They did not have a pen for it because people kept on stealing them (you couldn't put it on a piece of plastic string?). Believe me, gateway is cheap because they use cheap parts. Every toshiba I have owned has been solid and problem free.

And BenHur41, motion is the best in slates. you won't get better quality. but they are expensive.

5. Havraha

Havraha Pen Pal - Newbie

Mmm... Gateway's kind of renowned for being cheap in build quality.

Toshiba seems to rocket out models of tablet pc's like they're spawning out of some she-demon. So they may not only know what they're doing, but perfecting things with every model. Who knows.

Tablets don't usually dissappoint I don't think. Your more pressing concern is to see which kind of tablet fits your needs and desires as a user, since different tablets are geared for different kinds of users. The R15 is known for being a good tablet for students, the M4 is known for being the closest thing to a desktop replacement you'll find ... slates are more geared towards the business guru on the go, that sort of thing.

Lurk the forums and read some of the great reviews on this site and get a feel for what you want. Then, get down to the nitty gritty in picking em. I'm looking at the M400 for it's core duo processor and extended battery life ... hoping it'll make a good artist's tablet.

6. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

nice summary. and mt r15`us my desktop replacement

7. saetia

saetia Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, all! This is my first post to this board. I stumbled upon it while looking for reviews on the Gateway CX2618.

I'm going to take the plunge and buy this unit later today. The price point and features are a good match. I'm a rather tactile person, so I had to hold and play with the units before buying them. I was able to test this, a Compaq TC1100 and a couple of the Toshiba Satellite models. I'm a big guy, so the Gateway wasn't an issue at all to carry around, and it was a joy to use to take notes.

SquireM, I wanted you to know that you're not alone :) . I had reservations about Gateway's quality. However, I've always had positive experiences with Gateway support. If something breaks, I can get it replaced and keep on movin'!

I'll report back with impressions, etc. during the week.