How much does the modular battery extend life?

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by nikecar, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vertrucio

Vertrucio Pen Pal - Newbie

I recently bought a C-140, it's being shipped to me. I wanted to order the modular battery, it's the one that you can slip into the drive bay to give the system more power when on the go. Since I wanted to try some outdoor painting with this system, I wanted to know if the modular battery is worth the $150 they're asking.

My system is configured with the 12 cell battery right now, and while most of the time it'll be plugged in, we often go cafe sketching where I can't plug in a laptop.

2. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Depends on your settings, but i think about 3 hrs max.

3. playersnoopy

playersnoopy Pen Pal - Newbie

I use the modular battery and love the 7 hours of battery life I get, plus I rarely use my DVD drive since I have everything I need installed for the most part.

4. nikecar

is that 7 hrs WITH your regular battery?

The 8 cell can get from 3-6 hours based on usage.

5. playersnoopy

Yes 7 hours total with my main 12 cell plus my modular 6 cell. You could get a lot longer if you don't have the ATI video card, they say you can get 10+ hours, and you probably could get that much w/o the graphics card and power saver mode.

6. Vertrucio

Vertrucio Pen Pal - Newbie

Which means about 3.5 hours with heavy digital painting, or maybe 5 if I'm working on low res concept thumbnails. Excellent!

I think my next paycheck goes to buying a modular battery from gateway. Oh, and some more RAM, I'd forgotten that I'd bought the 1 GB RAM option so I could buy some cheaper laptop RAM from newegg or similar.

7. bpjen

bpjen Pen Pal - Newbie

I had jury duty the other day, so I put both the 8 cell and the modular in. Turned off wifi, set it to power savings, and used the computer the whole day, nothing too intensive, took a break for lunch, and when I got home still had over 50% left. (I do have the ati card) I am real pleased with the battery life.

8. playersnoopy

If you want memory, Newegg just put out a promo code for memory including laptop memory. Transcend 2GB DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...mmc=EMC-IGNEFL102507-_-Memory-_-L0-_-20208323 use promo code EMC1025SYME04 for $67.99 or if you don't mind doing mail in rebates Patriot 2GB DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-IGNEFL102507-_-LaptopMemory-_-L1L-_-20220229 with promo code EMC1025SYME05 will get you $10 off instant to bring the price to $79.99 then you can get a mail in rebate for another $20 so total cost is $59.99 Both good deals and they are 2 gig chips not 2x1gb kits.

9. nikecar

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. dude

dude Pen Pal - Newbie

Is it possible to order a modular battery after the notebook purchase? I just went to GW web site and the only batteries available for sale separately were the main 8 and 12 cell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.