How many predictions did they get right?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by doobiedoobiedum, Jul 26, 2020.

1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Some funny ones in there - some later than predicted such as 1TB SD cards being widely available by 2014 and the "paperless office" by 2013 and then the "just plain wrong" such as Nuclear Fusion by 2018

Kind of got me thinking what do YOU think might be the shape of technology will be in another 10 years time and what do you want to see?

I think I have 4 mostly fanciful

1. Moratorium or ban on weapons in space.
    2. True 3D or immersive "television" - possibly haptic holography rather than something that relies on devices strapped to your head to make it work. This could also help with creation of content where a sculptor for example can shape and modify 2D / 3D form and then output to cheap production / prototyping tools.
    3. A bacterium or technology that "eats" a wide range of plastics - this could be the beginning of terraforming technology that one day could be used on a planetary scale to create new habitable systems on suitable planets.
    4. Nuclear fusion lite - no need to say more.
    2 more realistic than fanciful
    1. Governments not holding solar generation back any more. Where governments have promoted solar panels, they realised they couldn't tax the energy companies as much as so hiked taxes on solar panels which meant they became prohibitively expensive. Also like to see nations in Africa develop solar and other similar technology cheaply.
    2. Widespread high quality internet access across the world.

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Doesn't number 3 already exist?

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

3. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes, there are two or three candidates but nothing in terms of actual "production" on a large scale to clean up the oceans or landfill where plastic litters everything. It's mostly lab experiments in terms of "plastic eating" bacteria and actual removal of bottles / bags and other items in the sea are still largely done by hand. The Ocean cleanup project started in 2018 with plans to physically remove 40,000 metric tons every 5 years however it broke this January.

Put that against 244,000 metric tons bobbing on the surface, and another 8.5 million metric tons dumped on the sea floor every year. What i'd like to see is something actually dealing with that plastic on a large scale within the next 10 years.

4. RT545

RT545 Scribbler - Standard Member

The building of the nuclear fusion reactor project Iter has started those days in the south of France

https://bfmbusiness.bfmtv.com/entre...qui-veut-revolutionner-l-energie-1954995.html

They hope to end the building around 2024, to obtain a first plasma around end 2025, start 2026, and hope to have it running at full power around 2035...

Marty and doobiedoobiedum like this.
  5. RT545

RT545 Scribbler - Standard Member