How many horses under YOUR Desktop?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by thatcomicsguy, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I remember the Motorola to Intel transition very well. I remember it left some scar on many Mac users, some hoarding the G5 Mac Pros well after usefulness due to software.

I'm not sure if OSX marketshare is "drop in the bucket". I think it's quite significant. If you treat Apple's OSX computer sales as a PC ODM, they are the biggest one by far. It's nowhere the success that iOS is, but it is still pretty big. Big enough that Intel would concoct a special CPU SKU just for Apple when asked.

And I also don't know about X86/64 reaching any limits. The progress has reached limits of Moore's law, but that fate will also fall on ARM as well. Only Intel really has been on the bleeding edge of Moore's law train all this time if you think about it. ARM was late to ride the train and Apple is the only one to really push the limits of the ARM SoC in transistor count. Now that Apple as gone over 3 billion with A9, they also have stagnated in transistor count with A10 and A11, relying mostly on architectural and clock improvement for performance increases last two iterations. Intel will do the same going forward, but they have slightly more room for tacking on transistors without getting too big for decent yields and profitability.

And the fact remains that Intel's 2 billion transistor mobile processor outperforms Apple's 3 billion transistors convincingly due to being able to scale to 4GHz+/45W without melting down. I don't know how much you can push the thermal envelope in A series architecture when 2.4GHz/8~10W seems to be about what Apple is comfortable with even in battery-less applications like Apple TV. Granted, a big chunk of the 3 billion transistors are turned off for sake of battery life architecturally but that should allow for higher clock in Apple TV. Apple TV should be a lot more like nVidia Shield TV, where focus on games are big, but it's just another 4K HDR box with light gaming, like any other sub $100 Chinese quad core A53 boxes.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

So crypto mining was the main reason for the 3GPU's? I can't think of many games or applications that can even take any advantage of 3 GPU's simultaneously, its difficult enough with 2.
    What is BLOWING MY MIND is your using a regular HDD in a system with 3 GPUs. :eek: Feels a bit like putting 12 year old worn out tires on a Ferrari or something... I hope there is a lot of RAM in there at least! :D

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  3. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow-ow, been years since I really looked and you're right. Apple desktop sales are pretty big. I've just gotten used to being one of the few Apple users and traditionally the odd one out among friends. Ah well, hard to be a pariah when more people are getting into the same boat and using the same tech.

As for X86 - I think Apple dropping Intel is still a way away but there are moves with elements of the operating system being written to work on both architectures. I guess Intel might cut deals and keep Apple sales rather than lose a large customer.

Time will tell.

4. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Well that and the folding of the proteins to help out science. GPU market was a mess and paid a bit more than was needed so I went 2TB HDD and store all my media on there. Forgot how slow HDD would be. I have 16gb of ram as the price was right.

5. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Supposedly Apple's "Kalamata" initiative to replace Intel with A series SoC is slated for 2020 according to Bloomberg. 2020 ain't that far. It's been planned for ages (the sore reason why Apple started and ballooned A series beyond 3 billion transistors over the years in my mind), and there is no stopping this train since the leaks have actual dates attached.

6. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What's driving my desktop, you ask?
    • Intel Core i7-4770K (4.6 GHz overclock with the aid of a custom water-cooling loop)
    • 32 GB DDR3-2400 (seems like overkill now, but DDR3 hadn't spiked in price at the time and Oculus Medium wants all of the RAM with more elaborate sculpts)
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 (just a reference card that was cheaper than usual at a time when the Pascal/10x0 cards weren't out yet)
    • Eizo FG2421 (one of the few LCDs that doesn't look like complete crap when you're coming from a GDM-FW900 CRT)
    • Wacom Cintiq Companion Hybrid (makes a nice secondary monitor below the FG2421)
    • Oculus Rift CV1 + Touch + 4-sensor room-scale setup (which can be an artist's tool in and of itself when accounting for Medium, Quill, Tilt Brush and other such software)
    • Startech PEXHDCAP/Micomsoft SC-500N1 (handy for capturing video from old consoles and computers)
    • Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD
    • 4 TB RAID 0 HDD array (just for game installs, and it's almost completely full!)
    • bunch of other components and peripherals that would double the size of this list
    So yeah, small wonder why I got fed up with tablet PCs being weak sauce Intel IGP affairs that gimped the CPUs they were paired with. Anything remotely 3D would make them choke. Even the Fujitsu T902 that a lot of users love here feels like a slug compared to this build of mine.

The Cintiq was a tad expensive, but also a bit of a godsend at the same time. No kludgery with pen remoting or a useless screen with VirtualTablet or anything like that, just solid pen input that doubled as a decent secondary monitor for a system that doesn't feel weak (outside of VR, anyway).

As for all this talk about Apple wanting to switch to ARM, that'd risk shooting themselves in the foot big time when one of their selling points with the Intel switch was Boot Camp - the ability to run Windows natively as a dual-boot setup with little fuss or need for PC/DOS compatibility cards with x86 CPUs (remember those?) like the old days, or if you're not one for dual-booting, Parallels or VMware Fusion.

Sure, you could emulate x86 in software like the PowerPC days, but performance sucked doing that, for obvious reasons. They'd have to be real confident that macOS and its software base already offers what users want in order to make a switch away from x86 work. (Also speaking of PowerPC, I keep an old Power Mac 9600 and Mirrored Drive Doors G4 around for the explicit purpose of running Classic Mac OS software, because the emulators kinda suck for retrogaming.)

7. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

But can it run Crysis?

8. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Haha, actually PCGamers did an interesting piece on this. TL;DR after 10 years, the game is still tough to run! (but the GTX 1070 can do it at 1080p60 at least ;))