How many horses under YOUR Desktop?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by thatcomicsguy, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ahh, ok I think I figured out why I'm using my desktop less for work... (looks at Steam icon sitting on the taskbar) :D

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...What are the rest of you gangsters running out there on your desks?..>>

...In my case, an eight year old Alienware Aurora R4 with an i7-3930K (6 cores, 3.2 GHz) CPU, 8 GB of RAM and an AMD Radeon HD 7950. Like @darkmagistric , I work more on my tablets because they allow me to roam around rather than be tethered to my desk, but I do use the desktop and my calibrated monitor and printer for photographic work. I set up my workflow years ago and there's no substitute for a large screen when proofing images. I'm comfortable with this set up so I just keep using it. The 7950 graphics card was higher end in its time, but now it's only about one-third as capable as the best current graphics cards; I may have to do something about that, eventually. The i7 is still quite capable and I can always log in to the super computer at Chalinka for antenna calibrations...

3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Oh forgot to mention, there's one important difference between the Zotac boxes and the NUCs (and similar mini PCs): CPU and GPU upgradeability.

Yes believe it or not, the EN1070 has an LGA socket CPU and MXM GPU interfaces allowing you to swap out and perform optimizations like delidding the IHS (yes it's popular in Japan where they're into tiny systems :)):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here a cool little video showing the process @1:20:30:

Maybe I'm old school, but calling a mini PC with soldered components a "desktop" is stretching things. To me you have draw the line at replaceable CPU and GPU, otherwise you can call anything, anything, so to me, NUCs are "portables" as opposed to SFF desktops.

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That IS pretty awesome.

I upgraded the CPU in my old Tecra M4 once, just to obsessively squeeze an extra couple hundred or so megahertz out of my system. It was immensely satisfying, even though practically it meant very little in my day-to-day. But I won't be doing that again any time soon, the way computers are these days.

5. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I am a bit weird but have two different desktop computers in my room. One is a SFF running intel NUC with a i3 5th gen as my media box(at the time it was like $100 for Roku or Apple TV, and Chromebox, but neither had 1tb options). My other desktop is a Ryzen 5 1500x with 2 nvidia 1070 ti and 1 1060 OC. This what I use to edit photos and fold protein.

6. thatcomicsguy

Ha ha!

(Meta Aside: Why is there no laughing, "Good One!" emoticon? The "Big Grin" guy is green, and it looks like he's going to puke. The Stick Out Tongue guy is the closest to a decent laugh, but could be mistaken for, STICKING OUT HIS TONGUE at somebody. We need better smileys.)

7. Shiratori

Shiratori Pen Pal - Newbie

If only there were some artists around here...

8. bloodycape

I'm sure you can draw a good one for the site.

9. thatcomicsguy

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I think the world has probably got an already sufficient supply of little yellow faces -most designed better than I'd have the patience to do well.

Question is.., how do we import our own selection into the forum software?

10. bloodycape

Who said it has to be a yellow face, it could be orange face to presumably match some of the forum member's neighbors(or people in the same exist area).