how loud is your fan? can you hear it?

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by sbm888, May 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sbm888

sbm888 Pen Pal - Newbie

hi all, i've read through pretty much the entire forum, but that other thread about fan noise 'silencing the fan, etc' was a bit misleading as it didnt actually show us how to silence it.

anyway, my dilemna, new ep121, a week old. and i've noticed it boots up quietly, however after 30 seconds the fan kicks in and doesnt stop.

my question - do ANY of you hear your fans? do you HAVE to put your ear next to the vent to hear it? or are your ep121 all slient like an ipad?!

mine is definately not quiet, i can hear the fan when i am next to it... and its loudish when i put my ear next to the vent....

everything else about my ep121 is fine, except for this fan noise which i'm not sure whether it is normal?

thanks

2. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I had an issue with my fan doing this, bad thermal sensor, had to RMA it almost two months ago. I've had it back for a week now and the problem was fixed. I think this is a common problem and maybe a design flaw as this is a commonly reported problem, had my unit for two months before this started happening.

I'd call Asus, setup and RMA. Also does your's always do it? You might want to tell them specifically to replace the fan and the thermal sensor as mine could run up to twelve hours before the problem occurred.

3. sbm888

sbm888 Pen Pal - Newbie

mine does it every time on boot up, from wakeup from sleep, etc.. every time.
    i dont need to go via Asus, the distributor here will give me a new replacement, but they dont have stock now.. they said its fine for me to continue using until the new stock comes in, then just a swap over......

but i wasnt sure whether it was just me picky at the noise or its a known problem.... i played around with thier demo unit and didnt make any noise....

4. heatlesssun

Of course, you only had it for a week, duh! Yeah, fairly common problem, the biggest issue that I've seen people mention around here. The fan should normally be almost dead silent under all circumstances. The problem doesn't seem to effect anything else but the noise is VERY annoying.

My guess is that Asus got a hold of some bad sensors. I still love this this thing though, its really a great device. Hope you get your new unit soon!

5. daveyd007

daveyd007 Pen Pal - Newbie

The fan on mine has been 'near silent' since day one. You can hear it, but it's very quiet. For me to notice that it's spinning, my hand has to be on the top vents, or my ear up against the slate.

32-34c normal operating temperature with a small load averaging 2-8% CPU usage while web surfing.

6. RWalrond

RWalrond Pen Pal - Newbie

Here is what I need to know. Does your fan run all the time?
    I'm not talking about how loud or silent it is, I just want to know if it blows all the time.

I've had 2 units and my fan starts up right after Windows starts and it never shuts off. How many of you DON'T have this issue?

7. jinnijinn

jinnijinn Pen Pal - Newbie

If my fan runs all the time, I haven't noticed it. It's very quiet and I only notice it in an absolutely silent room.

8. Meatlocker

Meatlocker Software Development Pro

As I've mentioned before, I've got it. But then again, this is a full-blown notebook...with parts that get hot...and need to be kept cool-ish. If anyone does NOT have their fans blowing at least a little, THAT is a problem. Even though it is a UV i5, it still gets way hotter than, say, an Arm A5 or Tegra 2 dual core.

My point of contention remains that the thermal policy is off...when and how hard the fans blow at a given temperature needs to be fixed.

9. heatlesssun

Fortunately it never gets hot to the touch, at least not in my experience.

10. RWalrond

RWalrond Pen Pal - Newbie

I get that, and I also get what some people think is loud may be wisper quiet for others. All I want to know is if everyone's fan runs all the time. The fan noise is not a big deal, but if the fan is not suppose to be on all the time I think that's an issue I would want to investigate more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.