How long does your battery last?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Righi, Feb 7, 2008.

1. gmaniax

gmaniax Pen Pal - Newbie

Well...somebody with a line into Asus tech support should forward them the link to this thread to read or copy and send to them so they can see what we feel on the front lines......really read that thread. Someone...perhaps Matt, or someone with recent tech support issues has a contact that will listen to the complaints

For the $ we spent on the R1F, we ALL really should be getting 3.5-4 hours with one battery (stable after 3-6 months) and 6.5-7 hours with two batteries

my suspicion is that there is nothing they can do about the poor battery life...but I am trying to think positively and hope that is is just a battery issue and not a poorly designed engineering power drain issue..... I sympathize with the students who have invested in this machine and are dealing with this issue during and in between classes.

ASUS needs to at least address this and offer some solutions or explanations!!!!!!

GM

2. Kib

Kib Pen Pal - Newbie

In hopes that Asus does read this thread I decided to post my own experience, I have experienced almost 15% battery loss, since taking the battery out of the box. I got a spare main battery as well, and haven't been using it anywhere near as often as my primary main, so it has received very little, 5% tops, wear. I haven't been doing anything particularily undue to my batteries, nothing that you shouldn't be able to do to a typical Li-Ion battery, so I agree that this should be a battery issue, and will hopefully be resolved, maybe with a recall?...

PS. Maybe someone should forward this to the oft-mentioned and highly-regarded Andrew from Asus Tech support, hopefully he'll see our point and do what he can... :)

3. dantheman

dantheman Pen Pal - Newbie

i am using NHC to see what the wear level is my battery. and it hasn't changed in the last month. it is still holding at 2%. but it seems to me that the battery is draining much faster as time has gone by. i might be paranoid though.:eek:
    is there another way to check and see the actual battery wear?

4. mattj

mattj Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok I already forwarded this thread and the thread with the poll on it onto Andrew as part of a large comprehensive email i sent out 2 weeks ago to Andrew, and a few hours later he emailed me back to say that he's forwarded that info onto the relevant parties.

But i haven't heard back from him for nearly a week. I've been quite busy at uni this week organising a bunch of crap, n emailing like a madman till 5 in the morning.

But right now i'm free for a bit, so i'll send andrew another email n find out what, if anything, is happening to the battery n static problems.

Also a week ago i sent a comprehensive report on my experiences with and what i think is causing the static, but haven't heard back on that either.

I'll keep u informed as best as i can.

Matt

5. The Niles

The Niles Scribbler - Standard Member

Having used my R1F for a few days now I'm getting 3 hours of battery life with the standard quiet office setting. Lowering the back light to 50% in quiet office gives me 3 hours and twenty minutes. Enough for a two class day and working on the train trip to and from University.

So far so good.

6. DustinGreen

DustinGreen Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I have had my my new battery for exactly 1 month now and my wear level is down to 9% already. Looks like I will be placing another call to Asus to get another replacement. I have tried to be extremely careful with this battery. I have only taken it down to really low battery levels twice. The rest of the time I haven't let it go down passed about 50% generally.

7. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

I have had my replacement for a month and it's gone down to 24% even though I have it autoshut off at 20%. Maybe I need to change that to 30% or higher.

8. DustinGreen

DustinGreen Pen Pal - Newbie

I am wondering if the auto shut off is also part of the problem. I would be curious to know if the shut off function is weakening the battery. If you had it shut down even at like 60% power, would that wear the battery?

9. The Niles

The Niles Scribbler - Standard Member

Have any of you guys checked to see if the battery keeps discharging even when it is shot off? I have this problem and it could explain the excessive battery wear if the battery discharges past a certain point when you don't realize it. It is discharge of only a few percentages every couple of hours (roughly 15% for eight to ten hours). I have not contacted ASUS about this as I have not had the chance but I will as soon as I have the time.

10. job

job Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the R1F for about 2,5 months. The wear level reached 30% about 3 weeks ago but now stopped wearing down and stabilized. I decided to take the battery off when is on ac power and not letting it down 30% of battery power. But iI am not sure if these things were just the cause. Do you guys think there is something about that area of 30% of wear? Maybe damaged cells or else? I don't know anything about batteries but it's curious that most of the people have a wear level between 20 and 30 %.

11. alanpark

alanpark Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, it finally happened. I did one battery calibration and lost an entire hour. Now I only get 2.5 hours.

12. kudoskun

kudoskun Scribbler - Standard Member

You know, the ASUS W5FE (?) the new ultra low voltage laptop with sideshow has only gotten 25-50min MAX. Given it is a dev. model and not production....something could be said about Asus : No Battery life.

If this goes on for over a year (battery warranty) I would recommend Asus to change their slogan to "Rock Solid Wallet digging" with all the batteries we will be buying.

13. ElusiveA

ElusiveA Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had my Aussie R1F (t7200, 120gb hdd, 1gb ram) for a few days now, on quiet office I get about 3:30 which I'm pretty happy with. NHC reports 0% battery wear :)

14. cecirdr

cecirdr Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm now down to 1:45. I started with 3:15 to 3:30.

My R1F has other issues too, so I'm going to send the whole unit in to Asus to be repaired this summer. My big issues are the battery life, static and the wireless adapter turns itself off if I have the laptop plugged in (which is all of the time now since the battery life is so short). ...nope, the last one is not a configuration issue. It may be overheating since it happens after a few minutes to a half hour and it can occur right smack in the middle of retrieving a web page. Using the function key and cycling through the settings, you can't turn it back on. If you try, the laptop will often crash. It happened yesterday and I lost all of my firefox bookmarks. :( This problem appears unique to me. So far no one else on the board has reported this except me.

So it looks like Asus will have to check out the motherboard on my unit too.

Ceci

15. eva04

eva04 Scribbler - Standard Member

I got my R1F back from servicing (2nd time) last week which had its battery replaced. It came back with 17% ware. Now.. a week later it is at 38%... I get an hour and a half with wireless on, bt off, brightness max, cpu max and just chatting on msn... emailed asus and got a disappointing reply which i'll share with you all soon.

16. eva04

eva04 Scribbler - Standard Member

According to NHC my battery wear is now at 40%. I get around 1.5hrs use with wifi/bt off, pretty much @ idle using it to type some notes. This is with power4 gear set to "quiet office'.

17. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My heart goes out to you guys...
    All my 'current' Fujitsu Siemens machines still give excellent battery performances, some after quite a considerable time and usage:-

• Model..................Purchased..........Battery Life...Notes
    • P7010 Laptop.........Oct 2004.............8hrs..............With Modular Battery
    • T4210 Tablet.........July 2006.............7hrs..............With Modular Battery (all four T4210's have around the same duration).
    • P1610 Tablet..........Feb 2007............5hrs...............6 Cell Battery

18. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

but...but....it's a Fujitsu for crying out loud. I think I'd rather use pen and paper. :p

19. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well.... to try and see the error of my ways and as punishment, I put my T4210 in battery mode and left your post open and read it repeatedly for over seven hours. :D

20. Fido

Fido Scribbler - Standard Member

Ever since I turned off the battery alarm I haven't had any problem with how long it lasts. I don't know how long it lasts but it's more than enough to get through my classes.