How long does your battery last?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Righi, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fido

Fido Scribbler - Standard Member

Did you test it out earlier and it was higher? Because as I said, lithium batteries will deteriorate regardless of use, and I'm sure the battery was in storage for a bit before they sent it to you, so I wouldn't expect it to be at 100% when you get it.

2. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

It started at 0% wear level, after one charge/discharge cycle, to calibrate it, the battery dropped to 5% wear level. After the second calibration cycle, the wear level as reported by NHC is now 9%. Originally the full capacity was 55176 mWH, now it is only 50567 mWH.

Any ideas on what I should do?

3. alanpark

alanpark Pen Pal - Newbie

I personally have never discharged this battery. With my previous laptop, I discharged it to calibrate, also had it discharge due to a faulty AC jack, and the battery was noticeably degraded. Went from about 2:45 to 2:15 immediately. I wish I had an exact metric to give...

Could it be possible that this is a design deficiency with ASUS batteries in general? Has anyone else had this wear problem with another ASUS notebook models?

4. Grinner

Grinner Pen Pal - Newbie

No idea about other Notebooks, but my R1F main battery has degraded by 20% in under two months. I'm gonna have to call Asus.

5. Tsukiyomi

I'm not sure if it an Asus problem per se, as in there is a problem with the tablet itself that's causing the dischare or is it a problem with the battery suppiler - in the case of my current battery, Samsung. I'm finding it VERY disconcerting to have my replacement main battery degrade 9% in less than 24 hours.

6. Fido

Fido Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't think you are supposed to discharge lithium batteries to calibrate it. That's with nickel or other batteries. Did you read the link I posted? Lithium batteries do better if you don't completely discharge it.

7. deepak

deepak Scribbler - Standard Member

after reading a couple of pages from this thread, i am beginning to doubt the credibility of NHC. i dunno how the hell is it coming up with such odd numbers. i tried a lot to look up on the web about how this thing works or about any software that gives a wear indication, no luck, couldn't find anything. and if i don't know how it works, i can't trust it. just for the sake of the matter, it gave my wear level to be 20% after 3 months. and also i push the battery to its max every working day. yesterday in the middle of my last lecture my battery gave up and i had to borrow pen/paper from someone.

also the battery isn't very expensive, if mine really starts giving me trouble i'll just buy a new one.

Summary: i don't think there is any need to place a lot of faith in NHC and be concerned about ur battery.

8. eva04

eva04 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hum yeah well I also read through the thread. I'm a vigorious battery user. I've totally drained and charged the battery at least 50 times since I got it. Also, I did however charge the battery to 100% on purchase. Anyway.... I installed NHC yesterday and it read 15% battery wear after a reboot. So i let the battery drain to 10% at which time i got a low power msg and plugged in the AC power. The battery wear meter changed to 25% and has stayed like that even on standalone power. Do note that from 100% -> 10% battery the laptop lasted approximately 2- 2.5hrs. This is on full brightness, wireless and music at half volume while surfing the net.

Conclusion, i'm with deepak on this. NHC should not be relied on.

Cheers,
    Will

9. Loaf.

Loaf. Scribbler - Standard Member

The calibrating tool in the bios will charge the battery to full and discharge it completely.

When I saw the figure NHC showed for battery wear I questioned it too so I downloaded batterymon and it showed the same number. Batterymon is a program made specifically to monitor the battery and if the figure it shows is the same as NHC I'm inclined to trust them.

10. Tsukiyomi

I did doubt NHC when I first started getting high battery wear levels, but I downloaded BatteryMon as well and it also gave the same numbers. Being somewhat disinclined to believe that it would happen so soon, I took the current maximum capacity and compared it to the capacity I had when I first had the machine - I indeed was having only 49% of my original capacity.

I also compared the capacity of the Asus 6-cell battery with the physically identical 6-cell Fujitsu battery of my brother, while his tablet was getting 3-4 hours with moderate LCD brightness and wireless off, my tablet was getting 1.5 hours with wireless off and half LCD brightness. My max capacity was about 25k mWH, while his was about 56k mWH.

All these put together led me to conclude that there is something seriously wrong with not only the original battery they gave me, but the replacement battery they sent me to fix the problem. I do think there is something to be worried about when battery life starts at 3.5 hours and all too soon drops to 1.5 hours, that's barely enough to get through one class - all while barely seeing the screen due to the low brightness and the glare caused by overhead lights.

As for complete discharge of lithium-ion batteries, it is recommended to fully charge and discharge the battery 2-3 times when first getting it to ensure that windows and other power meters are getting the proper 100% as well as to "exercise" all the crystals in the battery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.