How long does your battery last?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Righi, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mig174

mig174 Scribbler - Standard Member

and i was just about to spend my savings on the r1f. phew.

this is obviously a faulty batch of batteries. On my Compaq Evo N800C (bought it used in May 06 - so battery is prolly 1yr old), I still get 3+ hours a charge today as I did when I bought it. NHC shows 0% wear.

2. alanpark

alanpark Pen Pal - Newbie

I get almost 4 hours on my tablet.

However, this is light note taking (one note, maybe reader or word on)
    No BT or WiFi
    Mid-Low brightness
    No Powergear
    Monitor off after 1 min
    Also, I have the T5500 version, with 1GB and 5400RPM HDD

3. Loaf.

Loaf. Scribbler - Standard Member

mine used to do that. wait a month and see how much wear your battery has. i'm gonna guess that within a month or so, you'll might be getting 3 hours or less...if your battery is like many of the others.

4. alanpark

alanpark Pen Pal - Newbie

:( that doesnt sound too encouraging...Guess nothing to do but wait and see

5. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

Loaf., is your new battery degrading just as fast as your old one, as in the % wear level per day or so? My replacement arrived at my house, but I haven't been back to pick up it up yet, and my old one is still accumulating anoter 1% every 3 days or so. It's at 52% wear level now.

In answer to someone else further up, I use my R1F on battery weeke days, when going to classe, I typically use it until 20% or so power, then recharge it back to full when I go back to my apartment. Once there, I use my workstation instead of the tablet and it just sits there for the rest of the day until the next morning being charged on the mains.

6. Loaf.

I haven't been using my tablet for awhile in the hopes that I will have an almost new battery once classes start so the battery wear is still at 5%. Hopefully it'll last. I am already planning on getting a modular battery though and I'm hoping that those aren't suffering from this wear problem as well.

7. Tsukiyomi

I finally got home to get my new battery, the first thing I noticed about it is that while it looks like the old one, the label with the part information says that it's made by Samsung instead. I pop it in and start up my computer from standby - NHC shows 51%, alarmed I restart it and it then shows a much more reassuring 0%.

Now to mail my old one back ... and here's hoping it lasts at 0%.

Btw, NHC reports that the total capacity is 55176 mWH. Can anyone else take their wear level and extrapolate a total capacity out of it to get a picture of what the total capacity should be like? i.e. making an graph of the wear levels and expected total capacities to get an average max capacity.

8. Fido

Fido Scribbler - Standard Member

Lithium batteries deteriorate over time regardless of whether you use them or not. To make them last longer, use smaller drains and frequent recharges rather than a few big ones. Keep it in a cold environment, and if keeping them in prolonged storage, keep it at 40% charge. Read more about it at battery university http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm
    Personally, I believe batteries are made to be used. What's the point of having a laptop if I'm afraid to use the battery?

9. Tsukiyomi

Well, one night later, after I run calibration, the *new* battery has now deteriorated to 5% wear level. Which concerns me - I had to pay to get a replacement shipped to me under warranty for a product that was somewhat defective to begin with. No other company I have ever dealt with has had me pay for warranty service for something defective. It looks like I may have to exchange this battery as well as this tablet is critical for my schoolwork and there is NO reason it should deteriorate this quickly.

10. Loaf.

I'm barely getting 3 hours with half brightness and wireless on and only doing some light irc chatting. bleh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.