How long does your battery last?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Righi, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weinilourson

weinilourson Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your answers! I was unable to re-check this forum for a while due to the earthquake in Taiwan, thus hindering our Internet access to International sites... still pretty slow access today, though.

Anyways, I meant 3 hours just doing some light office work and surfing (no gaming at all), with a half-lit screen. I have not drained my batteries for testing, but my meter shows just over 3 hours when the battery is fully charged (and actually lasts me just over 3 hours).

I do hope that the hot swapable battery will be available soon here, because 3 hours of battery use is not really enough to last me through the day.

Thanks for your answers though, and I will definitely check out my settings and monitoring.

weini

2. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

I checked my battery this morning with NHC, BatteryMon, and MobileMeter and they all report a wear level of 50%! At this rate, my battery will be completely gone in another two months.

For Loaf. how did your RMA process go? I want to do the same thing, but I would like to know if it actually works out, as to not waste my time, or should I just buy another battery.

3. mattj

mattj Scribbler - Standard Member

Mine says 3% wear, but i hardly ever use it in battery mode. Whenever I go anywhere i'm always looking for power sockets and have managed to be pretty lucky thus far.

I've only used it on 2 major occasions. Once on a plane and once on a road trip, where the battery was used until it ran flat. So my experience is very limited.

But has anyone whose getting excessive wear levels tried that battery tool in bios recently? and if so, has it improved the wear % ?

I'm concerned cause i'll be sending mine back to get a few things fixed n I can mention this to them n get them to check it out on my machine.

4. Loaf.

Loaf. Scribbler - Standard Member

I called Asus and within 10 minutes got my RMA #. I just sent it out yesterday b/c the post office has been closed but I'll check the status and keep you updated.

5. billba

billba Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got the modular battery. Together Vista tells me to expect 4-5 hours, which sounds night. that's Balanced mode. I have some airplane tips coming ups I'll be able to report more after them.

6. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

Loaf., does Asus want you to pay for shipping it out as well? I got a RMA, but I have classes and I can't be without the battery for however long it will take to ship and replace it.

7. MilestonePC.com

MilestonePC.com Scribbler - Standard Member

Battery wear % seems to be the reason why people are getting lower battery life so soon, as many know I got 3.5 hours of battery life when doing the review on the R1F.

Asus provides 1 year warranty on the battery, since it is considered as a consumable.

This is not the first time i've have seen some Asus batteries/laptops have absurd amount of Wear % in a short amount of time. It is really hard to find what could be at fualt here, many tried getting the motherboard/circutry for the battery replaced for other laptops. Other constantly replace batteries due the fact they could have been faulty.

For now I suggest everyone to watch your wear %, on average you should be putting 1% per month, however, some are putting on as much as 5% normally, absurd would be 25%+ in a month. If your wear percentage is high, obviously replace it.

8. Loaf.

well i didnt ask about the possibility of them paying for shipping, so I just 2-day fedex-ed it to them. they got it today, and my new battery is already in the mail and on its way back to me. so it's a pretty fast turn around. however, chances are they shipped it using just normal ground so it'll probably take about 4 days to get back to me. all in all, that's about one week without a battery which isnt too bad.

edit: actually i checked the tracking number and it says express saver, which according to fedex is 3 days. overall, less than a week of being without a battery which isnt too bad.

9. jdwilson

jdwilson Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for chipping in on this. However, I haven't seen anyone post that their wear % is anywhere near 1%. Seems like a waste of effort & shipping to swap out one badly designed battery for another. Have you talked to ASUS about this to find out what they think?

10. Loaf.

ok, so I got my new battery from asus today. but, i just recalibrated the new battery and it's already showing 5% battery wear. I'll be happy though if it's still at 5% in a couple months. but I cant say it's a great start to a new battery. =/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.