How long does your battery last?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Righi, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HackMaster

HackMaster Pen Pal - Newbie

Asus R1F.
    Battery One:
    Manufacturer: ASUSTEK
    Device Name: R1-3226
    Unique ID: ASUSTEKR1-3226
    Designed Capacity: 55660 mWh (4638 mAh)
    Full Charge Capacity: 31141 mWh (2959 mAh)
    Current Capacity: 31141 mWh (2959 mAh)
    Wear: 44% (24519 mWh)

Battery 2 (in hot-swap bay)
    Manufacturer: ASUSTEK
    Device Name: R1-3226
    Unique ID: ASUSTEKR1-3226
    Designed Capacity: 37400 mWh (3116mAh)
    Full Charge Capacity: 37719 mWh (3143 mAh)
    Current Capacity: 37719 mWh (3143 mAh)
    Wear: 117% (-319 mWh)

First battery got discharged a good amount until i purchased the secondary one. The secondary gets discharged completely every day. I usually go Batt 2: 0%, Batt 1: 50% before I plug in. Usually thats close to 2 hours. I guess thats an RMA for me. I am thinking, though, that I will be removing my secondary for a while. I will wear my primary until it (almost) dies as to preserve life on the secondary.

2. kabluiii

kabluiii Pen Pal - Newbie

My experience with the R1f:

I've received the R1f on January 21, and have used it almost always connected to the mains. I've only become aware of the battery problem at the beginning of August. I checked then, and my battery was at 24% wear. Since then I've made two full discharges, and the wear is now at 34%.

In the last discharge I took more attention to what was happening. The battery wear was at 29% before the test. At the start the battery was at 100%, and Windows indicated about 2 hours of battery life. I was just reading a long pdf file, and so I had very little cpu and disk activity. The display was at about 50% intensity. When the battery reached 49% charge, it suddenly jumped to 7%. After that it kept discharging at about the same rate until 3%. It stayed at that level for a little while, and then the computer shut off. I had disabled the battery alarms and actions. The whole process, from when I started to use the computer until it shut off, took about 55 minutes.

To my surprise, when I next switched the computer on, now connected to the mains, I found that it had hibernated, and not simply shut off, despite the fact that I had disabled all battery actions.

I then charged the battery, and noticed that it wouldn't charge past 94%. I tried discharging a bit and then recharging, and it always stopped at 94%. NHC still indicated that the wear level was 29%. I then removed the battery and re-inserted it, and now the charge level indicated 100% and, sure enough, the wear level had jumped to 34%.

So, we have at least three issues here: (1) battery wear; (2) the jump from 49% to 7% in the discharge process; (3) wrong indications until I removed and re-inserted the battery. And, in my case, disabling the battery alarms and actions didn't seem to help much.

I've contacted Asus, and they told me that I have to send the computer for a check, because they can't be sure whether it's a battery or a computer issue. They estimated the repair time at 15 days. I have not sent the computer yet because, due to this battery problem and to other ones (the display not lighting up when waking up from standby, static in the earphones - I professionally work on audio processing, among other things), I've decided to buy a new computer, from another brand, despite the fact that this one is less than a year old. I'll only send this one for repair when I have the new one, because the computer is my main work tool.

And you've probably guessed it: Asus, for me, never again.

3. jdwilson

jdwilson Scribbler - Standard Member

All of these are similar to problems that I had with my Asus R1F. (Maybe even identical.) Since I got a new battery (the 2nd one), I have not had any of these problems recur. Wear level remains at 100%, battery life well over 2 hours, steady discharge.

I'd insist on a cross-ship battery replacement with shipping at their expense. Tell them you'll cover the shipping if you need to send the computer in for a check later. If you get one of the newer batteries (don't know how to tell them apart), I'll bet my wear level that your problems will disappear. You probably just need to speak to someone different to get it set up right, in fact act as if you've never called.

4. Bogie

Bogie Pen Pal - Newbie

I happened to be in Thailand right now. I saw a lot of their service centers. First, went to a center in a mall and they let me wait for one month! Holy! I went to another center, they got mine replaced right away after checking the wear.

I deep discharged once, it still shows no wear. But I notice that this new battery has somewhat a little lesser capacity (10-15 minutes) than the original one.

5. jerelyn

jerelyn Scribbler - Standard Member

Just as a follow-up, I finally checked the battery life of my ASUS R1E after several months of wearing the battery down to 10% or so, and so far I'm still at 1% for both batteries. My husband is at 4% for his main battery (his was the one that was subject to the battery life tests for the review, so it saw heavy use right at the start, prior to doing the battery calibration that is supposed to help with battery life).

I'm not sure if that helps conclude anything, but it is more data at least.

6. The Niles

The Niles Scribbler - Standard Member

I'll do a follow up as well. I have used a two battery set-up for several months now. I had my main board changed a little under six months ago and received a new main battery at that time. I have since discharged my battery to under 10% on numerous occasions. I have never had the same problem of a sudden crash in remaining battery life (suddenly and instantly from, for instance, 22% to under 10%) that I had before the main-board swap. Nor have I ever noticed a discharge of the battery while shut down any more.

I have switched to Vista64 and have steadily been getting just under six hours battery life WiFi off back light at 50%. This means my battery wear in that period has been negligible. If you still have battery problem let them swap your main-board and give you a new battery. It's a genuine fix.

7. BornLoser

BornLoser Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm currently experiencing terrible wear problems on my battery. It is the original battery that shipped with the machine. I've had the R1F about 13 months. I haven't checked my actual battery wear percentage lately, but I'm lucky to get 1 hr out of my battery while working in Word with wireless/BT off and screen at 50%.

A frustrating story... I called Asus at the beginning of January because I couldn't handle the battery wear issue anymore. I asked for a cross ship on a replacement battery. After giving them my serial number, they informed me that my battery was one week past the 1 year warranty period on consumables and the cross ship and battery replacement would not be covered on my warranty.

I was a bit perplexed here because I thought I had a two year warranty on this machine, including all the consumables associated with it. In discussing it with Asus over the phone, I was told that all notebooks have a 2 yr warranty on consumables except the R1F. I'm not sure if this issue has been mentioned on the boards before, but if it has, I wish I would have noticed it back in December before this mysterious one year consumable warranty expired on me.

Has anyone had similar troubles? Is there anyway to get Asus to cover the replacement of this obviously faulty battery without me having to pay for a new one?

8. The Niles

The Niles Scribbler - Standard Member

For me the battery exception was clearly stated. In fact all ASUS notebooks in the Netherlands have two year pick up and return warranty with the exception of the battery which is only covered for one year.

I would have expect ASUS to be a little more lenient with a one week overtime claim, though.

9. Righi

Righi Pen Pal - Newbie

I think they've spent way more money in replacing peoples battery than they would spend by SOLVING the issue...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.