How long does your battery last?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Righi, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi FantasiaWHT,

Sorry, I didn't explain it fully. No, it doesn't have to do with a rough estimate of the market share here, it's just users or bots that find the Asus R1F product site that we have here. There was a similar discussion quite a while back about this as well, in that case it was about owners of certain Tablet PCs, let's say the Fujitsu T4210. Owners who own the T4210 don't necessarily click the Fujitsu T4210 link everytime they visit TPCR, but instead click other Tablet PC links we have here at the TPCR Tablet Database just to find out more information. Sometimes even I click a couple of links to read some reviews - be it expert or user opinions; that doesn't necessarily mean that I own all of those Tablet PCs. It's just a counter for how many visitors click the links for those particular Tablet PCs every month. Thus the statistics are reset every month; it would be nice to see that there are two million or more Tablet PC users, but this does not measure nor record the current market share.

Sorry all for going way off topic for this thread which is supposed to be discussing the Asus R1F's battery life; just wanted to make this clear. :)

---
    And now back to your regularly scheduled subject...

2. jdwilson

jdwilson Scribbler - Standard Member

Interesting trick my battery is pulling now. Don't know if it means anything, but maybe one of the amateur battery technicians can make something of it.

Frequently the battery meter is "stuck" at some value for a long period of time. It can even be reading nonsensical values for the current capacity, fully charged capacity, or designed capacity. (I'm using lingo from the NHC "computer hardware infos" page here.) As a result, the battery can appear to have, for example, 0% charge, 71% charge, 1253% charge, etc., and even force a shutdown due to the nonsense. And this can occur with actual charge at any value.

Restarting, etc. does nothing to cure it. Instead, the battery has to be removed for more than 5 seconds and replaced. This resets everything to normal values.

No idea what is the "trigger." I'm at 17% wear level, haven't taken the actual charge down below 30% in a while so it hasn't budged. But the apparent charge (i.e., nonsense) has been below 30% several times.

There you have it.

3. The Niles

The Niles Scribbler - Standard Member

ASUS's explanation of a faulty chip inside the battery would make sense when looking at your problems. My wear is now on a healthy 40%. Time for a trip to the service centre.

4. ThreeToedSloth

ThreeToedSloth Pen Pal - Newbie

I didnt want to make a new thread for this question, but I figured someone here might know the answer:

Is the warranty for the R1F linked to the serial of the machine, or to the owner? I'm looking to pick up a R1F on eBay... but I fear I will be SOL for RMA'ing the battery if/when it fails.

5. cecirdr

cecirdr Scribbler - Standard Member

I thought I'd sold my tablet (thought the battery issue was fixed), but the new owner ran into battery problems straight away. He called the support numbers on the warranty card and would have had no trouble getting support.

But he (rightly so) doesn't want a computer with zippo battery life and that has to perpetually get a new battery. I can't blame him. So he's sending the tablet back.

Anyway, long story short... the warranty appears to be associated with the tablet/serial number, not the owner.

6. Edo

Edo Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow... are there that many people that have battery issues with the R1F? I was thinking of purchasing an R1F, resigned to the fact that I could have an issue with the battery, but users RMAing the battery for the 3rd time causes worry! Hm... I actually called Asus but no response yet. Hm...

Has anyone received any update on the ongoing battery issue? Is it a problem with the batteries themselves then?

Has anyone confirmed this?

Thanks.
    Edo

7. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

How long is a piece of string Edo?

8. Edo

Edo Pen Pal - Newbie

Heh... and Ooof...

Well, maybe Fujitsu's T4220 will bring me closer to the end of that string (but man is it ever pricey)...

Edo
    PS Wow... how long have I been sitting here...

9. NicH

NicH Pen Pal - Newbie

Just posting to say that after about two months, my battery still doesn't have any wear and I get about 3.5 hours of battery life on battery saving mode.

10. eva04

eva04 Scribbler - Standard Member

Correction, my battery is now at 19% wear... I just got another RMA.. 4th one now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.