How long does your battery last?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Righi, Feb 7, 2008.

1. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

Milestone, the article offers a possible explanation, but we cannot be sure it is the real one. There would be however one way to make absolutely sure of it, and it would be to obtain from Asus the nominal voltage output level correponding to the main battery level.
    For example, I have a 12V battery (not Notebook) with its documentatin stating that
    >12.7V = 100% charge
    12.5V = 75%
    12.2V = 50%
    12.0V = 25%
    11.8V = 0%
    If you can obtain from ASUS or find in their HW documentation what the values are for the R1F battery, then we would have a definite way to know what is going on.
    By measuring the Voltage when battery is fully charge, we would know if we are above the Nominal 100% charged voltage.
    By taking this measure several hours after without any use, we can monitor if it holds its charge.
    By measuring the voltage at various indicated discharged levels we could know if the indicated values are right or way off.

Please let us know if you think you can obtain the Voltage output level corresponding the various charge levels for the R1F.

thanks for your help

2. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

90 mins to shutdown.

Since I use OneNote most of the time, I don't need to worry about saves. I've turned off the shutdown messages and action so when my R1 shuts itself off, the battery is dry.

3. deek

deek Scribbler - Standard Member

Won't that create real battery wear? The only reason I don't let mine run past zero is fear of possibly creating real battery wear.

4. Fido

Fido Scribbler - Standard Member

My advice is to not think about it. Run it past 0% if you are using it and don't if you don't need to. The main problem is that the readout is incorrect, so just use it as if the read out said you had more time.

5. Kayla

Kayla Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a silly newbie question...how does one check for battery wear. Im not sure how everyone says i have 2% battery wear? Is it special software? Thanks

6. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

There are several SW on the Net, one commonly use is NHC. Just Google it

7. MooseHat

MooseHat Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd like an owner's opinion: Is this issue serious enough to prevent someone interested in the R1F (me, for example) from buying one?

8. cecirdr

cecirdr Scribbler - Standard Member

It's very serious for me. I can hardly use my tablet at all now. The time in the task bar may say that the battery life is 1:35, but lately my tablet shuts down after only 20 minutes with the low battery warning.

Couple my battery problem with other issues (static on headphone port and a wireless that switches itself off if I'm charging the battery and using the computer) and the tablet is essentially a very expensive paperweight.

I've got to email Asus again and get another RMA. They dropped the ball and forgot to follow up with the RMA number the last time when I returned their email asking me for my address. Sigh....and with exams coming up, life is so busy I can hardly remember where my own head is, much less actually follow up on stuff myself.

So I'm hoping that my laptop will get fixed this summer (of all it's issues). FWIW, I bought it in Oct.

9. Loaf.

Loaf. Scribbler - Standard Member

The battery thing is an issue. From the replies on this forum, the chances of you getting a dud are probably like 50/50. So if you can handle having to RMA a battery then it shouldn't be much of an issue. Also, buying a modular battery will increase battery life and potentially reduce wear on the main battery as it will be discharged to low levels less often. And just in case you're worried about wear on the modular, so far my modular battery hasn't shown any wear and I've been completely discharging it at least 2-3 times a week.

The static is also an issue, though with the right drivers installed it should be a little softer. It's not a big problem for me because I rather listen to music using my mp3 player than drain battery using the tablet.

I dont think the wireless issue is very widespread, so the chances of you having wireless problems is probably not very significant.

10. Kib

Kib Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree with Loaf. the wireless is not as widespread a problem as it is made out to be, but you risk these kinds of problems no matter what you buy. The R1 is far from being nothing more than "an expensive paperweight" I can see the battery wear being extremely limiting, if you let it get that bad, but.... well, the point is if you're careful with the battery until the get the problem fixed, then it does what it was intended to do, and is a pretty good tablet to boot. I'd still recommend it.