How long does your battery last?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Righi, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdwilson

jdwilson Scribbler - Standard Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. weinilourson

weinilourson Pen Pal - Newbie

When I posted my first post, I was getting just over 3 hours from my battery. I have to use my tablet everyday, and I discharge it nearly all the way, and now I have only 1 1/2 hours! I'm really worried. BTW - I need to keep the screen so dim that it's starting to get uncomfortable. Is there solution? Or do I need a new battery every 3 months?

3. DustinGreen

DustinGreen Pen Pal - Newbie

I got my battery replaced under the warranty and have been using the new one for the last few days. With my old battery I was lucky to get 1 hour out of it with minor use. I have not dared to take this new battery down too far in fact I really haven't had the need to yet so my wear level is still at 0%. In addition I never calibrated this battery. I am very afraid that when the time comes that I need to use the battery to its fullest, it is going to start to go bad on me. My suggestion to all out there that are having problems is to utilize the warranty and get your batteries replaced. If enough of us continue to do this, Asus might get the hint that they need to fix this problem.

4. kudoskun

kudoskun Scribbler - Standard Member

Maybe a EE student or a DIY'er can answer this.....A laptop battery is just AA's correct? (If that is the case that they are simply AA's or a similar size) why not just replace the shoddy quality batteries they have in there with some hi-capacity rechargeable AA's?

5. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

While it may look like a bunch of AAs, it is not, they are composed of lithium-ion battery cells. The cells have different specs than AAs do and while we wish they can be replaced, they can't - at least not with AAs.

Howeverm, speaking of DIY, you can make your own battery:
    http://www.engadget.com/2005/06/28/how-to-rebuild-your-laptop-battery/

6. kudoskun

Cant you buy Li-Ion AA's? I guess I may have to do some research on the topic, but if anyone knows more about the matter please post. Maybe we can all have DIY-made super cells that last for the day.

7. kudoskun

Using batteryMon I watched my laptop working and how various things affected it. On battery saving mode @ 70-80% my Full charge capacity was at 4413mAh.

After sending emails and switching to High Performance around 60% of battery life I noticed something strange occur once battery life reached 35%, my Full charge cap has gone up to 4854mAh. About ~ 400mAh difference!

Once the battery bottoms out im going to give it a full charge and record the numbers to see if it fluctuates at all on different settings....or whatever.

I thought full charge cap. is supposed to fall, not rise. Maybe someone can explain that.

8. alanpark

alanpark Pen Pal - Newbie

Weinilourson, that may be your problem. You should avoid discharging you Lith-Ion battery if at all possible. By discharging too often you are dooming your batter y to an early grave.

That being said, it appears that alot of ppl are still experiencing battery life problems with the R1F.

9. DustinGreen

DustinGreen Pen Pal - Newbie

The thing is that that battery is meant to be used. When you say you shouldn't discharge the battery, it is complety against the point of having a battery. Any other computer works fine when you discharge it and then recharge it. Many people have to do this daily for work, school, etc. Part of the reason for having a laptop is so you can use it without external power.

10. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

To quote from BatteryUniversity.com:-
    " A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges."

Please see here for full details.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.