How long does your battery last?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by weinilourson, Dec 26, 2006.

1. weinilourson

weinilourson Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello!
    Just a quick question on the R1F...

My battery only lasts 3 hours, with the settings of the battery set to the lowest consumption... the screen is actually too dim, but still, I can only get 3 hours out of it.

How long does you battery last? I just want to know if it is a problem with my battery (so I can get a new one), or whether it's only meant to last that long. I still cannot purchase the battery for the hot swap bay from my local shop (I live in China).

Furthermore, any tricks for how I can make my battery last longer? I now tug my power cord with me during the day (which is quite heavy).

Thank you very much!
    Hope you've had a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Happy holidays! :)

weini

2. dustinin

dustinin Pen Pal - Newbie

3 hours of doing what?

3. mattj

mattj Scribbler - Standard Member

3 hours to watch movies n play games is pretty good. but 3 hours idle, doing nothing, with wifi turned off means ur battery is a lil weak, but not much.

i'd expect a max of 3 1/2 hours on battery whilst running idle or doing small stuff like office programs n surfing the net.

what were u doing when it lasted for 3 hours?

4. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have you checked the Windows Task Manager to see:-
    a) How many processes are running and
    b) What is the percentage of the CPU Usage.

An over used system will eat battery life immediately.
    The CPU Usage especially if running high is a big killer and an indication something is running your system too much.

As an example, you could be surfing the web and suddenly hit on a web page and think nothing more of it... then all of a sudden you hear your fan cut in and notice the battery meter has dropped significantly.
    On checking WTM you see your CPU Usage is running constant at 100%.
    A quick check soon reveals it's down to that web page and your system is being taken over.
    Closing the web page and doing a spyware run immediately stops the heavy CPU Usage and eradicates the web pages intrusion on your system.

I ALWAYS leave my WTM running permanently. :)

5. Grinner

Grinner Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I get about 3 - 3.5 hours with Wireless on and surfing, with a pretty dim screen.

6. Loaf.

Loaf. Scribbler - Standard Member

well, my battery started out great. at half brightness, wifi on, and me doing some school work related stuff I WAS getting a solid 3 hours.

now at half brightness, wifi on, me doing next to nothing AND with the cpu now undervolted I'm only getting 2-2.5 hours. also, my battery wear level is already at an astounding 20% after only 2 months. this is incredibly bad, especially when compared to my asus z70va where after almost a year it has showed less than 5% battery wear.

I'm not sure if everyone's battery is like this, or if mine is just a dud but I'm probably gonna have to talk to asus or my reseller about this because this is pretty unacceptable.

7. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In battery mode, my display is at full brightness ( I don't like a dim screen ) but only 25% CPU. I'm getting about 2 hours on a charge. That why I need a second battery.

8. dustinin

dustinin Pen Pal - Newbie

does it say 2 hours on the battery bar in the taskbar, or are you actually timiming it? Cause mine will usually say about 3 hours and i'll manage to pull out 3.5 or so

9. Pyxus

Pyxus Pen Pal - Newbie

Same problem here ! After only 2 months of use, battery wear is at 50% and wont run Vista in battery Saving mode for more than 1-1.5h!

10. jdwilson

jdwilson Scribbler - Standard Member

I have to agree about the battery problem. I haven't timed a full drain, but I have just performed a partial experiment.

1) I have uninstalled the security / fingerprint related software, and disabled the fingerprint reader to reduce USB power drain. Hopefully I got this right.

2) I booted up with the power cord plugged in.

3) I unplugged and set the mode to "Quiet Office". For me, that means brightness at 73% but I suppose CPU is at 100%. I checked the task manager and my CPU usage is running in the 10-40% range (peaks above 20% are only occasional, generally when switching windows.

4) I've used the computer pretty much continuously for one hour. I have been using Firefox and MS Outlook. Text and pictures, hardly any video and no audio. WiFi is on, bluetooth is off. Deleted about 85 spams. Yes, I know that's not relevant but man spam is getting worse.

- When I started, the power meter showed 100% and claimed I'd have 2:40 minutes.
    - After one hour, the power meter shows 60% and 1:23 minutes.

While I have not verified this with multiple runs, my sense is that this is pretty typical behavior. I also do not know how to check the battery wear level, but if it is going down, this will be a big problem. EDIT: I have installed NHC and it shows my battery wear level at 26% after 2 months of use!

I hope that Milestone or Proportable will check this out and discuss with Asus. It would be great to get some sort of semi-official feedback on this.

11. Loaf.

well i've called asus and told them about my problem and they quickly issued me an rma for the battery. i'll probably ship it out within a week and we'll see within a couple weeks hopefully whether everything works out.

12. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

On this system that I'm on, for four years, the battery has decayed, and thus 75% of the battery cells have expired, and I'm only running on half of the last battery cell. At best, I can get up to an amazing 25 minutes of run time before I have to run and find a nearby wall outlet. :) Then again, this system isn't meant to be mobile, but a desktop replacement which fits nicely on to a small coffee table. :)

13. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

Where can you find the wear level of your battery accurately? I'm using some program called MHC ( I think ) that's telling me I have 30% wear level on my R1. I've had it since the first week it came out - since October sometime, but I just thought the wear level was a bit excessive

14. Loaf.

I think you mean, NHC and that's what I'm using also. I dont know of any other programs, though it would be nice if there were so I could double check the NHC wear value.

edit: I downloaded a program called batterymon by passmark and it seems the battery wear level reported by nhc is accurate when compared to the levels reported by batterymon.

edit2: does anyone know if its ok to run the tablet without the battery?

15. job

job Pen Pal - Newbie

It's not recommended to run the computer without the battery It can cause damage to it. The wear out of the battery varies from manufacturer. It seems line these Asus 's batteries should last good. Also, you can find the battery recalibration in the bios menu and run it once or twice a year, or it your battery is really bad.

16. P8RSON

Where have you heard this?
    I for one would appreciate reading where you have found this information.

As to the battery that ASUS supply ~ ASUS are the only manufacturer I know of who give a full 12 months warranty on their batteries.
    Seeing as batteries are classed as consumables, this is an excellent warranty and full marks to ASUS in doing so.

17. job

job Pen Pal - Newbie

I read this in this forum:
    http://www.techzonept.com/showthread.php?t=96777&page=2
    and this is what a user says, in Portuguese, from what Asus technical assistant told him:
    "Post Original de spor
    Do mail que enviei disseram-me para ligar para eles...

O assitente técnico da Asus que me atendeu disse-me que nunca se deve tirar a bateria, pois cria um down não sei quê (era um termo técnico daqueles de ficar de boca aberta). Ao fim de +- 3 meses a tirar a bateria vai ser preciso recalibrar a mesma. Já que os técnicos da LG também disseram o mesmo tomei a decisão de nunca mais tirar a bateria."

Let me just say that what said is just part of the conclusion of many users said with their interactions with their laptop manufacturers TA

18. P8RSON

This was written by an Assistant Technician at ASUS.
    As much as I would love to believe him (and the comments of the other posters) I go with experience and usage as my verdict.

We each have a valid opinion job, I respect yours but I will go with my own personal experiences.

I've used Laptops for more years than I'd care to think of and throughout, I've always taken the battery out if I intend to use the machine at a static point for periods of longevity.
    Batteries soon get hot in use and when coupled with a charge only increases the problem.

By taking the battery out I've managed to keep them in good working order, all at no risk to the laptops they came from.

19. job

job Pen Pal - Newbie

Don't get me wrong. Of course we all have valid opinion because from what I perceived from the long topic on the referred forum, diferent manufacturers give diferent advice. If that has to do with the diferent batteries or hardware schematics, or diferent TA opinions I don't know. But as here, in that forum, there are diferent experiences, and in fact there is people that as you, take the battery out when they can. The quoted user only says about his expereince, that his laptop got damaged and the people of Asus said that most likely could be caused by not having the battery at the time. That is said in another place in the same topic. They also led him to observe that most of the laptops have on their batteries support a stand to stay balanced, and that is done because the battery should not be removed. If they say taht so we can wear out the batteries and they have more sales I don't know. I just know that on the topic there are people with opposite experiences, from diferent laptops, not even diferent manufacturers. There is a person who says that the main things we must be carefull is: to avoid recharge the battery before it raches 40% although these Lithium Ion batteries don't have memory so they don't get "viciated"(I don't know the english term); once recharging let it recharge completely (very important); be carefull with heat which is the worst thing for these Lithium batteries.
    I hope I shed some light on this issue which is a great concern for me, because my Toshiba Qosmio battery lasted only 8 months, although they give me a 24 mo warranty on it. I am not an expert, just a concern user who is trying to get exact information about the issue.

20. P8RSON

And your opinions are greatly received job.:)

I hear what you say about certain batteries have the 'moulded stand' built in to the foot of them.
    This was initially a concern for me but in the end I got round the problem by designing a 'false plate' which fits precisely over the gap left by the removed battery.

Each to their own job.... each to their own.:)