How long do you think the tx2000z will last?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Ixidor, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maximos

Maximos Pen Pal - Newbie

From a build-quality stand point, how long do you think it will last? Is it built solidly?

I am between the HP tx2000z with the $500 off coupon and a refurb Gateway C140. My goal is to keep the unit for 3 years. What do you guys think?

2. carrot

carrot Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't know how accurate my assessment is, but I've played with the HP tx1000 (which is, I gather, essentially the same computer, but with a different screen), and it feels like a toy. It's very pretty, but it feels plastic-y. My wife's comment was that we couldn't bring it home, because my 5 year old would think it was for her. That doesn't really speak to how long it will last, at least not directly, but I wasn't happy with it.

3. Speed

Speed Programmer + Tablet Lover

I disagree completely - mine has been back and forth to so many places, and barely has a scratch. Its excellently resilient, and I'm very happy (I have a tx1000 series).

4. carrot

carrot Pen Pal - Newbie

Speed's views are likely more valid - or at least better informed - that mine, given that s(he) owns one, and I've only played with one.

5. VirtualKnitter

VirtualKnitter Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree with speed. Although I have only hadita few days I think it seems quite sturdy.

6. alanjrobertson

alanjrobertson Scribbler - Standard Member

Certainly my TX1030 is pretty sturdy - only issue is the slight creaking when gripping over the DVD drive.

Alan

PS - $500 off voucher?! Wish we had those sort of deals here!

7. GJBenn85

GJBenn85 Pen Pal - Newbie

Based on my other HP notebook experience and the TX1000 in retail stores, I think it will last. Yeah, the case is plastic but overall it is sturdy. The hinge is the weakest point and even it feels solid enough to last at least a few years with regular use.

8. Ixidor

Ixidor Scribbler - Standard Member

yes, mine's been very sturdy too. you don't get ripples from pressing on the screen, sometimes even with extreme pressure. Plastic has its advantages over magnesium or aluminum shells. Mine's been through many backpacking trips and even the occasional drop onto the ground and still works as it did when I recieved it in the mail. I'm going to say, at least a couple years. It will last long enough for you to get bored with its design and decide to buy a new one for less than 500 since the prices of such will have lowered sufficiently by then ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.