How is the t4220 as a laptop?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by kureshii, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whatabout

Whatabout Pen Pal - Newbie

After reading the forums and testing out an X61, I'm deciding between the t4220, a gateway c-140x, or a regular lenovo t61.

I would use the machine about 80% or more as a traditional laptop and when using as a tablet I would not be standing or in applications that would require a particularly light machine. My ideal would be a tablet with a 13.3 inch screen and about 5 pounds.

I tried the x61 and found the keyboard a bit cramped. The c-140x sounds good, but it's almost 7 lbs.

My question for Fujitsu users is if you feel that your pc functions well as your main laptop when not using as a tablet. I don't want to sacrifice the ease and comfort of a good daily notebook for the ability to use the tablet. I prefer a notebook slightly larger than an ultraportable but I would tradeoff a bit for one that is a great ultraportable. Unfortunately, there isn't a place locally where I can see and test the fujitsu.

2. Smoothcrm7

Smoothcrm7 Pen Pal - Newbie

I use this probably most of the time as a laptop for things like typing and playing light games like wc3. This is also my first laptop so comming from a desktop keyboard i was extremely happy with the layout. It is what i would call nearly full sized if not that. it has the pg up and pg down buttons located right next to the arrows as well as the middle scroller so functions very well without a mouse. Overall i love the keyboard, but web browsing with the pen just feels so natural i have trouble using my desktop now = ).

3. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My tablet serves as a laptop when I'm not in school; during holidays it's hardly in tablet mode (unless I'm in an artistic mood). So far, no problems with it. I don't like the fact that the Del key is to the left of the Pause key, I'll rather have it be the upper-right corner key (which the Pause key is occupying), but it's not a big problem. The PgUp, PgDn, context-menu and Fn keys are all well-placed for my use, couldn't have asked for a better keyboard layout.

4. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Unlike the x61, the T4220 (and all other T series machines) has a wider and more comfortable keyboard.

Although I have only used the x61 keyboard for around half an hour, it's personal preferences but I prefer the T series keyboard over the x61.

5. sonrisa

sonrisa Pen Pal - Newbie

I went from a 15.5" Sony Vaio laptop to the 4220. I've been using it primarily as a laptop thus far as school hasn't started yet. I was worried about the decrease in screen and keyboard size. It is noticeably smaller, but it hasn't bothered me much. The keyboard is just a bit more cramped, but I'm getting along with it just fine. The only thing I don't like about the keyboard is that it's quite a bit more noisy than the Vaio's. You have to hold down the Fn button to get keys like Home, End, and Print Screen, but I don't use those often enough to find it annoying.

6. thaluckyspoon

thaluckyspoon Scribbler - Standard Member

The T4220's keyboard is about 7/10th of an inch larger than the X61's. I am coming from a 15.4" widescreen to this 12.1" and I don't feel cramped. It is a little bit smaller but not cramped at all.

I use this in a sort of 20 %tablet 80% notebook right now but when school starts it will probably reverse.

7. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The T4210 may be 12.1", but the keyboard stretches from one end to the other, with only about 1/5" on either side not covered by the k/b. It's the same keyboard on my sister's 14" Fujitsu Stylistic, pretty much a full-sized laptop keyboard. Typical keys are 7/10" wide, with the raised portion about 1/2" wide. That's similar to the external full-size keyboard I'm using right now. I'll take a photo if I can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.