How is the responsiveness (pen pressure required for click) on tc1100? What factors would affect this?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Rohan, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. piggy2

piggy2 Pen Pal - Newbie

I will be getting the pen next week. I suspect the pen will also need adjustment. However, it's much easier with cintiq pen since the rubber comes off easily. I will report back after I get my hands on it.

2. Rohan

Rohan Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi piggy2, did you happen to receive your pen yet? If so, how is the responsiveness?

3. piggy2

piggy2 Pen Pal - Newbie

The seller could not ship the item until April 1 even though I made the payment two weeks ago. The My guess is that he order the item thru other supplier before sending to customer. At present, I am still waiting for it to arrive.

4. piggy2

piggy2 Pen Pal - Newbie

The cintiq 18sx pen arrived today. As I suspect before, the default click threshold is still bit harder than it should. It's lighter than the default TC1100 pen but harder than the modified tc1100 pen.

I took the rubber off and adjust the middle variable resister by counter clock 30 degree while observing the pressure scale within the wacom tabletpc driver. (hold ctr key and click about) I end up to have the pressure value of cintiq pen 10 less than the modify TC1100 pen but the cintiq pen is already able to register click at very very light touch of the screen already. After some testing, it seem that the cintiq pen is much more sensitive than the modified TC1100 pen in both pressure scale and click threshold despite the fact that the scale value on both is up to 256 max.

The pen feels much close to my intuos3 pen right now. I can draw lines with very slight touch of the screen now. It's also useful that the pen has two side button where I map one as erase and the other as middle mouse click for scroll. The reverse tip of eraser also works but I find it slow to flip the pen for erase.

Overall, it's decent value where I pay 37+9 shipping for the pen. Intuos pen usually cost 60 dollars. However, I did notice that someone actually won one of these pen for 30, 20 and even 10 dollars from the same seller (rose production) while TC1100 still going up for 80 dollars in ebay. The irony is that, after use this cintiq pen, I don't think I would be using the default TC1100 pen anymore.

If you going to modify the TC1100, be aware that the variable resister should be turn counter clock where the notch line end up to be perpendicular to the pen to register max value.

I also tried swap out the old TC1100 nib and put wacom nib. It seem that the default black nib is not well made where there is more friction due to the shape of nib head and the rough edge of body. Just for the hack of it, I use sand paper of different scale to polish the nib into smooth body and tried again, it seems to help. However at present state, the modified tc1100 pen is still no match to this adjusted cintiq pen.

5. piggy2

piggy2 Pen Pal - Newbie

For the adjustment of cintiq pen, it should be CLOCK wise instead of counter clock wise. Sorry for the mistake.

There is total of four variable resister adjustment on cintiq pen, just ignore the 3 that is close to one another and adjust the one in the middle.

6. Rohan

Rohan Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, thank you very much piggy2 for all that information! Great news that the Cintiq pen is very sensitive when modified. Looks like I might be getting a TC1100 and one of those pens :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.