How is the responsiveness (pen pressure required for click) on tc1100? What factors would affect this?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Rohan, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rohan

Rohan Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, I'm thinking of getting a tc1100. The only thing I'm a little bit worried about is that I read in this review here (http://www.tabletpc2.com/Review-HPTC1100.htm) that sometimes you have to press a bit hard with the pen to generate a click (at least I think that's what the reviewer meant).

Can anyone else tell me their experience of how hard you need to press to generate a click on the tc1100? Does it need to be much more than just the pen coming into contact with the screen?

Also, would this be just dependent on the pen used, in which case I could just buy a more responsive pen? Or is it to do with the hardware on the tablet PC itself? Or, can this be altered through software? In the review it mentioned that the problem seemed to lessen when Windows XP SP2 was installed. Are there any other drivers or anything that would help with this?

Thanks a lot for any help you can give me :)

2. wasker

wasker Pen Pal - Newbie

I didn't like the pen functionality in tx1000, to tough for me. Better cough up for tx2000 -- active digitizer is very good.

3. postulio

postulio Pen Pal - Newbie

pretty bad. i have both a tx1xxx and a tx2xxx. the touch screen on the tx1 feels more like a gimmick than anything. there are ways to improve its responsiveness (like installing touchkit and using the screen heavily at first). but it still pretty bad, writing doesnt feel natural due to the coating and pressure needed to apply to the pen. also you cant use your finger (only your nail). im gonna try to sell my tx1 for like 900 to recoup my tx2.

the pen is completely independent from the screen, it doesnt matter what you use, itll be unresponsive. windows xp would not matter, its the touchscreen software thatll make a slight difference (touchkit).

4. Rohan

Rohan Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your responses :) I was referring to the TC1100 though, which does have an active digitiser. Can anyone tell me how responsive the pen is on this model?

5. piggy2

piggy2 Pen Pal - Newbie

I am not sure about other tablepc, compare to other wacom product like intuos2, intous3, the pressure that need to register is higher for sure. I think it's a little too much for comfort

Unlike the driver in intuos tablet where you can change the click register level in software, the wacom tabletpc driver doesn't have it. The only part is where in the drive, one can hold down the control key and press about button and there is a diagnostic menu that you can lower the number that is substrate to the pressure level. However, it only help a little bit compare to wacom intuos driver.

The only fix that is know that one has to use a small flat screw driver to remove the rubber holder that is glue to the pen. After it's done, the switch and the variable resistor is expose where you can turn it to change the pressure level.

Open the wacom diagnostic menu and observe the pressure level and adjust the variable resistor to max value as screen indicate.

However, when the rubber is removed, and put it back, it's bit loose. Try to remove the rubber without push open too much at first place. Alternatively, just cut a pencil comfort grip and slip over the same place.

Overall, it's might be tricky to remove the rubber depend the amount of glue applied which which make it more difficult for some people. I did manage to adjust mine to accept click at fairly light click and just strap some rope on the rubber to make it shrink back the original shape before remove it.

6. postulio

postulio Pen Pal - Newbie

oh im sorry, i misread your title... tc1100 too close to tx....

7. wasker

wasker Pen Pal - Newbie

Same here. :) On the other hand, now you know what to expect from tx1000, in case you'll be looking for it. :)

8. Rohan

Rohan Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks piggy2, that's very informative. So did you manage to make your tc1100 as responsive as the Intuos tablets? Or did you still have to push a bit harder?

If modifying the pen helps, I wonder if replacing it with a different pen would help too? Anyone tried this?

9. piggy2

piggy2 Pen Pal - Newbie

The feel of click threshold can go lower in wacom intuos driver compare to the modified TC1100 pen. However, after modification, the click level feel much lighter. The pressure range of going 0 to 190 seems to be about right while going from 190 to 256 require much higher pressure. Both sketchbook pro and artrage seems to indicate that the pen has good range of pressure sensitivity.

There is an old thread that indicate what pen that is compatible with the first generation of tabletpc sensor board that you can take a look. From experience, I tend to think that thicker pen is more comfortable in both writing and drawing. The size of TC1100 pen is fairly ideal with 11mm diameter. Ironically, before this modification, I did end up winning a bidding in ebay for a cintiq 17sx pen that looks just like an intuos2 pen as alternative. Frankly, I don't think it's necessary after this adjustment.

BTW, there is new wacom sensor board with 512 pressure level that will replace all the existing one. The new HP 2710p is using the new sensor board.

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=14443&highlight=tc1100

10. Rohan

Rohan Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks again piggy2, so when you used the cintiq pen with the TC1100, was that quite as responsive as the intuos tablets? Or did you still have to press a little bit harder with that too?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.