How is charging and battery life

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by MobileHG, Jan 5, 2013.

1. MobileHG

MobileHG Pen Pal - Newbie

:):)Trying to decide whether to exchange my Acer W510 for the ThinkPad Tablet 2. Two things holding me back unless someone can chip in and give me some real world information. :)

1. How fast does the ThinkPad Tablet 2 charge with the provided A/C charger? I love how quickly the Acer W510 charges so would like to know if the ThinkPad Tablet 2 is the same over the mini USB charging.

2. What real battery life are most getting with the ThinkPad Tablet 2? I'm getting easy 10 hours on my current Acer W510 now.

I read one poster saying that the ThinkPad Tablet 2 was a bit slower than his Acer W510, anyone else can verify if you notice a bit of lag compared to other Atom processors? I don't mind if it is a few blinks. :)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  2. TheGuac

TheGuac Scribbler - Standard Member

I have both. In terms of charging, they both take the same amount of time to charge. I never got 10 hours on my Acer, usually 7-7.5 hours. The Thinkpad has slightly better battery life thus far, but not by much...probably 8 hours although I haven't had it go to 0% yet.

I love the Acer and for the price, it is one hell of a tablet. The Lenovo is built better but the Acer screen is nicer. I have found both to perform about equally. The USB issue on the Lenovo may force me to return it and keep the Acer while waiting for something like the Helix or second generation devices. It really is a nice tablet though (looks pretty sexy) and feels awesome in the hands.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  3. noxxle

noxxle Scribbler - Standard Member

Complete discharge to full takes exactly 5 hours if the tablet is left in sleep mode.

4. MobileHG

Thanks for your response. Like you said, the Acer is priced just right for what you get. I did read about the USB on the Thinad Tablet 2 not working with portable HD and possible external DVD/CD players. I have tested on the Acer W510 and all work, except you do have to have the mini USB cable with you. So I guess on that it would be a matter of whether I would rather have the mini USB cable and have the option to use external USB HD which i use a bit to transfer files quickly or use DropBox or other online to get files to the ThinkPad Tablet 2.

I also like the option of the stylus, but this wont be such a deal breaker because I already have the Samsung Smart PC ATIV 700T with stylus for note taking. Now have to decide. :)

Since you have both, are both pretty much the same size? I see the specs which are pretty much the same. Is the weight pretty much the same? Thanks for your input. I am driving to the Microsoft Store and deciding whether to return or keep my Acer W510. So far I am leaning to keeping the W510.

Another thing I noticed on the Acer W510 is the that Auto brightness works great. On the Samsung ATIV 500T and the 700T it doesn't work well at all. I ended up unchecking it on the 700T.

5. MobileHG

Okay thanks! I haven't tested my Acer W510 but always seems to charge pretty fast.

6. sbl

sbl Pen Pal - Newbie

There are several charging modes based on tpt2 manual when a micro usb power cord is connected to a tpt2.
    The charger in the tpt2 box is 5.2V 2A. I tried a generic 5V 2A usb charger but it couldn't make tpt2 into charge mode. A usb port of another computer couldn't make tpt2 into charge mode either.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  7. philox

philox Pen Pal - Newbie

Charging is slow as hell on the regular ac adapter and you should plan to do it overnight. It is supposed to be much faster if you use the tpt2 dock according to Lenovo.

8. MobileHG

That is what I had seen from Lenovo site under one of the PDF information. It said slow charge with USB but didn't say how slow. I had the Android Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet and that was very slow to charge so wanted some input regarding this. So far decided to keep the Acer W510 but I have 7 more days to return it if I do decide to get the TPT 2.

Thanks again.

9. teiger

teiger Pen Pal - Newbie

Is there a way to charge it faster (with maby a better USB chatger)? Or is it limited with the USB Connection? Dont want to spent 80€ for the docking station, but want to charge it in 2 hours (like the docking station) and not in 5 hours.