How important is the ability of a device to be repaired?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DRTigerlilly, May 16, 2018.

1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

With an increasing trend of mobile computers not being repairable, no longer upgradeable and having parts that are glued/soldered together how much does repairability factor into your purchase decision when choosing a device?

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

For me it was a big reason for choosing the X1 Yoga 3rd gen over the Surface Book. Above anything else I really value the ability to take the SSD out of a broken laptop so that I at least get to access my data after I accidentally destroy my system. It happens..

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Same here. I generally choose Thinkpads in part because I know that they are easily repair Obel. They’re easy to open, and many of the parts are modular and can be replaced. I can replace the battery myself, but I’ve actually done. I can replace a solid-state drive. In general, I can access it.

That isn’t the only thing that’s important to me. It’s relatively high on the list.Laptops are inherently sicker anyways, and I really would prefer to have a bit of key travel. So a little bit of thckness that allows me to access the interior is in something that doesn’t bother me. Comparatively, I like my tablet is very light and very thin, and I don’t expect to ever be able to open them myself. So it’s all about usage and compromises.

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I can't think of a trend in tech hardware that I despise more. Besides being environmentally disastrous, it dramatically increases the cost of ownership/maintenance if every time any hardware in your device fails you have to trade it in for a replacement device at a very high price - or pay for extremely expensive extended warrantees. It also deprives customers the ability to upgrade devices as their needs change and/or the cost of things like RAM or SSDs fall, and/or better technology becomes available - eg, wifi chips. All of this in the name of slimmer, lighter devices. I agree with Steve that this can be a worthwhile tradeoff in a $300-$500 tablet that you purchase in large part for portability, but when it simply makes your $2,500 convertible a few cm thinner and 0,75 lbs lighter, though still too heavy to use as a tablet held while standing, there is zero benefit to the consumer. We're talking about lowering weights from 3.5 lbs to, maybe 2.8 lbs, both are light to carry in your bag, both too heavy to hold while standing, or even sitting without a desktop to rest the device upon.

Overall, it seems like nothing but a strategy to make devices look a little sexier (thereby induce some to replace products sooner than performance warrants) and to dramatically increase life-cycle profits for laptops and convertibles industry-wide - except in business class products, which eschew this trend. I have no doubt that revenues from trade-ins, extended warranties and earlier upgrades are the sole drivers of this trend; note the absence of benefits to consumers among those factors.

DRTigerlilly and Shizaru like this.