1. The TabletPCReview forum will be read-only (no new posts) for approximately 15 minutes between 4-4:30 p.m. EST on Wednesday as we update to the latest platform version. Please plan accordingly so you don't lose any work.

How Have You "Outfitted" Your ATIV?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by JDTagish, Jan 3, 2013.

1. JDTagish

JDTagish Pen Pal - Newbie

Whenever I get a new device, I find myself looking for accessories right away, because I want to make sure that I can access all available functions and also to test as many part of the unit and make sure that everything is functioning. It's also about making sure that my toys have toys...LOL ;)

Some of the items listed I already had on hand and have been now "dedicated" to the ATIV, which simply means that they live in the bag that holds all of the accessories for a specific device, in this case, the ATIV.

1) Keyboard Dock - this was obviously a purchase specific to the ATIV

2) Sandisk 64GB Class 10 MicroSD Card (The previous highest capacity card I had was a 32GB, but since it's going to live in the tablet semi-permanently, I had to get the higher capacity!

3) MicroHDMI to HDMI Connector - I had this in a drawer. I had purchased it some time ago for a different device and it didn't fit. I stumbled on it yesterday, and lo and behold, it was the right one for the ATIV.

4) Additional AC Adpters - purchased from eBay. I never feel comfortable with only 1. I prefer not to have to worry about power between home and work, so I like one in each location, and then 1 to carry in my bag. In this case, the ones from eBay are much larger bricks, so they will be the stationary ones, and the Samsung one that is smaller will live in my bag.

5) WD 1TB external HDD - I already had this, and it contains most of my media files, so I can access my entire library whenever I'd like.

6) 2 x 32GB generic thumb drive - I already had these also. 1 is dedicated now to the ATIV and holds ONLY the recovery data & restore functions. The second one is to copy files and whatnot from other people if I need to and also holds a few portable apps.

7) Sandisk SDHC Card Reader & MicroSD to Full size SD Adapter - again, already had this from the "olden days" when you needed a special card reader to read a card larger than 4GB. In this case, it comes in handy if I want to be able to copy photos from my camera or someone else's camera, which happens with me fairly often. Since there is no full size SD slot on the ATIV, this is a necessity for me! It also means that even if I use a MicroSD card in my camera that I don't have to pull out my primary card already in the slot to view photos.

8) Pivoting Head USB Hub - I've had a few of these for a couple of years. They're totally awesome, because they can rotate 180 degrees and be "aimed" forwards or backwards. They also have a pivoting USB slot, so if you have a device that needs an odd direction for some reason, or you need to keep 2 things at different angles, it's easy to do. I found them at Fry's a few years ago, and always keep one in my gear bag.

9) Kensington Slimblade BT Mouse with Trackball - the trackpad on the keyboard dock is nice, but if I'm going to be using the ATIV as a laptop replacement, like at work, for any length of time, an actual mouse is quite helpful, and that it connects over BT means that I don't have to worry about losing or keeping track of a dongle.

10) Logitech External DVD Burner - I had this from the netbook days, and it has proved valuable more than once! It's helpful with my regular laptop, if I want to copy a DVD, because I don't have to copy to my HDD first, I can just copy from one drive to the other. It's obviously useful on the ATIV to install software from CD/DVD's or to play a DVD from, if one had a desire to do so.

11) Sandisk Cruzer Fit 32GB Nano USB Drive - Found this at Best Buy. Their price was $52, but they priced matched it to the Amazon price of $22 for me. It's a very tiny USB Thumb Drive, about the size of a Nano USB Receiver for a mouse. My intention is to leave it in one of the keyboard USB drives and remove the drive cover entirely and then just leave the drive in there, to add an additional 32GB of storage while docked.

I actually just opened it and put it in. Viewing from the top of the keyboard, it sticks out about 1/2 of an inch, pretty much like the nano receivers do. But from the bottom, it sticks out about 3/4 of an inch, I guess because of the curved shape of the keyboard. Not sure that I totally love the look of it or that it will stay in quite as securely as I had originally hoped. I guess I'll try it out for awhile and see how it goes. It's just so tiny in general, that I'd be afraid of losing it too easily if it doesn't just stay in place.

This drive also comes with Sandisk's Secure Access Software, which allows you to easily drag and drop files into an encrypted & password protected file area on the drive. It also comes with a 2GB online backup which requires registration through YuuWaa. I'll skip that personally, in favor of my Dropbox, but if you don't already have Dropbox, or want an additional free backup source, then take advantage!

12) MicroSD to USB drive - I'm not even sure where I found this, but it's been on one of my drawers for awhile. I actually think it came with a different MicroSD card I bought. You put a microSD card in it and then it just plugs into a USB port like a thumb drive. This would be helpful if I have files on the MicroSD card that I need to be able to copy onto someone else's computer. Just pop it into the adapter, and away you go.

13) Bag - I freely admit to being a total bag whore. There is rarely a bag that I don't like or see value in, so I usually have a decent selection of bags to choose from, from quite small and minimal to large enough to lug my 17" Sony Vaio & "portable" printer, along with paper notebooks and anything else I can wedge in.

In this case, I'm using an older Targus bag that I got for my older black Macbook (which I no longer have) back in the day. I've kept the bag hanging around several years because I liked the small size and minimalistic design of it. It was really too bag for an iPad, but too small for any 8.5x11 papers unless they were folded. But, it's just the right size for the ATIV and ALL of the accessories, except the DVD drive. I don't really feel compelled to carry that with me most of the time.

I will probably switch between the Targus (vertically oriented) bag and my PowerBag (horizontally oriented) Messenger. I love the Powerbag because it actually has it's own battery pack to charge portable devices, including phones, other tablets (since the ATIV doesn't charge via USB the PowerBag won't be able to charge it.) and bluetooth headsets or keyboards. It also has room for paper notebooks as well. The reason I went with the Targus bag over the PowerBag for the moment, is that the Targus bag has a well padded section for the ATIV and another section that has nice compartments to hold most of the accessories, and then a couple of small pockets for the remainder. If it was big enough to fit a paper notebook into, I wouldn't need to change it up, but I will need to some of the time. The PowerBag, being a messenger, has a notebook pocket, but then everything else is just a large open pocket that will require me to find another way to contain all of the accessories so they aren't flying around everywhere.

14) Cases & Sleeves - I ordered the Poetic case from Amazon, which should be here sometime near the end of the month for using the ATIV in tablet mode. I'm not terribly comfortable using it as a tablet without having a case on it.

While in "laptop" mode with the dock attached, I have a vertically oriented green Incase furry lined neoprene sleeve, and a horizontally oriented Targus Phobos Netbook Sleeve. I found them both at Marshalls on clearance for $5 each. I think they were both for netbooks, which explains why they would be at a place like Marshalls.

I have to have both, I just can't stand putting a vertical sleeve in a horizontal bag or vice versa.

For non US folks, Marshalls is a discount store. They sell mostly seconds, factory defect, older or overstock items. Much of it is good quality, but the prices are much less than other stores selling the same brands since they have the "last years" stuff.

Software Upgrades - Windows 8 Pro & Media Center Add-On

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  2. Osiris

Osiris Scribbler - Standard Member

Thats a lot of kit...All I need is the ativ, a case, a hdmi connector and you can call me mcguyver

3. Ravynmagi

Ravynmagi Scribbler - Standard Member

I have quite a few accessories like micro SD cards, flash drives, 2.5 inch USB drives, and such, so I won't get into those. But I did buy a few goodies specifically for the 500T.

64GB Sandisk microSD.
    Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 64 GB MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card with Adapter (SDSDQU-064G-AFFP-A): Electronics
    I actually bought this for the Samsung Chromebook, but then could never find that in-stock, gave up and got something better. So I have 128GB of total storage now. I moved My Documents, Downloads, Pictures, and Videos to the micro SD. Kinda annoyed Dropbox won't let me use it for it's folder.

Samsung Ultra Portable Slim DVD drive.
    Amazon.com: Samsung Ultra Portable Slim DVD+/-RW USB External Drive, Black SE-218BB/RSBS: Computers & Accessories
    Liked this because it runs off a single USB port.

Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000
    Amazon.com: Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 for Business: Electronics
    What a piece of crap. I wouldn't recommend this, the scroll wheel is so horrible, it's frequently clicking when I'm just meaning to scroll. I find myself plugging in my Logitech G700 instead lately.

Plugable USB 2.0 to Gigabit Ethernet wired LAN adapter
    Amazon.com: Plugable USB 2.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Wired Network Adapter for Windows, Mac, Chromebook, Linux, and Specific Android Tablets (ASIX AX88178 Chipset): Computers & Accessories
    I need this at work to, because I can't use the internal wireless network until the computer is on the domain, and I can't get on the domain without a wired network connection. The first one I got from Amazon was DOA, I wrote a 1 star review and about an hour later the manufacture emailed me and offered to immediately mail out a replacement. Which they did and the replacement is working good so far. Pretty nice customer service.

Decalrus Semi Glossy Skin (back only)
    ATIV Smart Pro 500T Skin cover
    The 500T gets too slippery, so I bought a skin hoping it'll help with that problem. I contacted the company asking between the matte and semi glossy skins, which they though had more grip to it and they said the semi glossy was slightly more grippy. Hopefully it'll be an improvement. And hopefully the tablet will still fit in the keyboard dock with it on. Hasn't arrived yet.

Powerbag Gadget Charging messenger bag
    Powerbag Gadget-Charging Bags Deal of the Day | Groupon
    It's the second picture in the slide. I currently have a huge Dell XPS backpack made for 17 inch laptops. Feels weird putting my 11 inch tablet in that pit. Comes with a battery for charging devices, won't do much good with my iPad 4 or 500T, but my Kindle, Kindle Fire HD, and Nexus 4 can use it.

Windows 8 Pro
    Needed to join the tablet to my work domain, so had to buy a Windows 8 Pro key.

4. msgnyc

msgnyc Pen Pal - Newbie

Only thing new I purchased for the ATIV was the sleeve listed below aswell as a 64gb sdxc card. Kb dock came with it. Other accessories I already had that are now used with the ATIV listed below.

Macbook Air Croc pattern sleeve. Fits like a glove.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005X2L162/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1357287529&sr=8-64&pi=SL75

Seagate goflex satellite 500gb wifi harddrive. Was only $99 when i got it. Now its back to $199
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004Z0S7K6/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1357287098&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Gateway Executive stylus w/eraser. I use a felt tip and is only a single not dual click button. My Axiotron stylus broke :'(
    http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/view...mp;index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=18482573824
    Just a few more days and ill get the new Wacom Bamboo Feel stylus. Too bad it appears to be single button aswell

Smudgeguard 2 drawing glove. I had to sew in a microfiber cloth to stop the capacitive digitizer from picking up my hand tho. Thanks to the touchscreen on/off toogle i saw on this forums its not a big deal anymore, but I still prefer to use the glove when I sketch/draw.
    http://www.smudgeguard.com/ordernow.htm

Microsoft Arc Touch mouse
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003UT6C9G/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1357288212&sr=8-2-fkmr0&pi=SL75

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  6. msgnyc

msgnyc Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm. May have to take a look into that. I need a compact adj stand that allows for a very low back angle

7. mnbrennan

mnbrennan Pen Pal - Newbie

Also bought a few bits and bobs for my Ativ.

1) 1TB Western Digital My Passport Hard Drive
    My Passport

2) 64GB Micro SD card

3) 16GB Sandisk Cruzer USB stick

4) Series 7 stylus
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0072O58OK/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

5) Micro HDMI to HDMI connector

6) Tucano Work Out Bag - to fit all of the above in!
    Work_Out for 11

One thing I would like to get (but I don't know if they're available) is a charger that comes straight from the wall, like an iPad style charger. I find the power lead-to brick-to adapter style far too long and inconvenient.

8. swindmiller

swindmiller Scribbler - Standard Member

Someone else on here mentioned using one of these:
    Amazon.com: Conntek 30013 Travler Male Plug Adapter U.S. Male Plug To Laptop/Power Adatper IEC C5 Female Connector: Patio, Lawn & Garden which would give you a big plug to plug into the wall but would eliminate having 2 cables.
    Don't know how it works though.

9. mnbrennan

That looks good. Just trying to find a UK version

10. mnbrennan

Just received my Series 7 pen, so thought I would do a quick write up - not sure if this is the right place but hey.

Link: Samsung Series 7 Stylus - Slate Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

This is a full size pen with one button on the length of the pen, and an eraser on the top. I didn't need to make any changes to the PC, it just worked straight away. It comes with 5 spare tips, and a ring to remove the tips.

The pen is very pressure sensitive - unlike the stylus that comes with the Ativ, you don't really need to press to get it to register, and there isn't much 'give' in the pen to register a hard press. It does work, however, and the pen glides across the screen easily. The construction of the pen isn't something I would call solid, but given the price paid, I really don't mind.

It is much easier to write with a full size pen compared to the one that comes with the Ativ. I plan on writing extensive notes in One Note on the PC, so a full size pen is a god send. The pen is a lot more tapered towards the nib, which makes it easier to see where you are placing it on the screen - something which is a little harder with the bundled stylus. The nib is also longer which helps in this regard.

One surprise is that the eraser end is also pressure sensitive - something which I didn't know before I purchased. This is hard plastic, so I hope it doesn't do any damage to the screen. It didn't need setting up, which is very helpful.

I would recommend this pen to anyone who is looking for a full size pen for their Ativ.

picture013.jpg
    picture011.jpg

11. JoeS

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  12. JDTagish

They had that MS keyboard with the ATIV at the Best Buy where I got mine, along with an Arc mouse on the display. The keyboard is SO tiny! I reminds me of the fold out out ones from the Windows CE days. I got the Logitech one to use until I got the dock, and I have only good things to say about it. I'd recommend anyone considering the MS Keyboard try to stop in a brick & mortar and put your hands on one to try typing. There is no space at all between the keys and they are not "regular" sized. I'm not saying this is bad, but it was too small for me to type on, and it kinda looks like a toy next to the ATIV.

13. JoeS

Oops.. Well, then I ordered the wrong one.. We'll see how it turns out.

14. JDTagish

YOU might love it! I just know it was too small for ME. I don't have particularly large hands, but I do touch type most of the time, and I found the keyboard way to cramped for comfortable typing. If you get any choice at all, I'd have to suggest that you get the keyboard dock for the ATIV over any BT solution. I know some people have had a few challenges with it, but I'm not one of them, and adding in extra USB ports, a charging port and the touchpad for mousing, it's the best of all worlds, at least to me!

15. JoeS

I would agree if not for the disconnect issues (if you're unlucky, some apparently work fine) as well as the relatively large weight of the KB dock. The 500T KB dock is something like 1.6 lbs, while the MS wedge weighs less than one pound including cover/stand. The MS KB will be something I'll toss in my bag just in case, without adding too much weight. So unless it is truly minuscule, it should be OK. Doesn't hurt that it's less than half the cost of the dock either.

16. JDTagish

Everybody likes what THEY like - I love that about the tech community! If everyone only wanted the things I want, there would be very little innovation...LOL! If you're happy, then I'm happy for you! That was actually part of the reason for the thread, because there are plenty of people who don't want the dock, or can't get one. They can hear firsthand from others about their stuff to help them make their choices. THANKS for sharing! :thumbsup:

17. watchdog

watchdog Scribbler - Standard Member

That Samsung series 7 pen looks like the old pen from the OQO model 2. My OQO died on me long ago but the pen still works. I accidentally broke it in two, but taped it back togeather, it works but tends to be a little off-center now. Does anyone know where I can get the felt tips for the pen?

18. msgnyc

msgnyc Pen Pal - Newbie

for the included S-Pen? No idea. Thei nibs are shorter then the regular wacom styli tips.

For other wacom stylii you can get them for
    $10 from amazon
    Amazon.com: Intuos 4 Hard Felt Nibs 5 pk: Computers & Accessories
    or
    $5+s/h from wacom themselves
    Hard Felt Nibs

tempted to try the chisel tip. Not sure if they fit my styli or not.
    Chisel Felt Nibs for Art Pen

19. Rousing_Dipthorne

Rousing_Dipthorne Pen Pal - Newbie

Grip pens can't use the chisel tips. That's only for the 6d art pens. They used to be pretty good in older versions of photoshop since the pen's feel and chisel shape lent itself to predicting paintbrush behavior when tild/rotation/bearing/etc controls were used but nowadays with the animated 3d brush preview icon you actually see the orientation on screen before the stylus hits the surface which in my opinion is better since it lets me go back to the more comfortable grip pens.

This is all moot though because penabled tablet PCs don't support these controls or accessories. They're only for Intuos and Cintiq digitizers~

I've said this before but I'll say it again: If they could give tablet PCs intuos/ cintiq hardware it would be the digital artists dream come true... but it seems like wacom refuses to let tabletPC manufacters use them as it would destroy the cintiq market (as it should, since the markup is obscene).

As for outfitting my ATIV I'm not done yet, but I did buy a Fujitsu Lifebook Stylus, Nostromo Gaming Pad for macros/ hotkeys, a sleeve for tablet mode, macbook case for key dock mode, and screen protector for now. No links because nothing is final.... I kept everything on the cheap side until I can decide on some quality items first since I want to plan my laptop bags out with the accessories I want to carry with me on the go~

20. msgnyc

msgnyc Pen Pal - Newbie

So the chisel tips wont fit traditional Tablet PC styli at all? Are they thicker, narrower, shorter or longer then the regular nubs? I know none of my styli used for Tablet PCs would support any sort of tilt/rotation or specialized functions of full on Wacom Tablets and the styli for them.

I wish tablet PCs had the same hardware behind them as the cintiqs and intuos. Been wishing that since my days with my tc1100 n motion tabs, but no way would Wacom allow that. Not even on a cold day in hell... They only recently allowed for the increased pressure sensitivity. Lol

I'm more interested in it for the feel and the fact that since the tip doesn't come to a precise point, the onscreen cursor not being perfectly aligned at all times on the screen may not irk me as much because the illusion it is more centered due to the slightly larger chisel tip. Lol

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013