How happy are you with your X61T?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Dolvich, Jul 16, 2007.

?

How Happy are you with your X61T?

1. Extremely happy!

93 vote(s)
    51.1%
  2. Somewhat happy

50 vote(s)
    27.5%
  3. Somewhat disappointed

19 vote(s)
    10.4%
  4. Extremely disappointed

20 vote(s)
    11.0%
  1. pibach

pibach Scribbler - Standard Member

240g, 4 cell, 2000 mAh

595g, 8 cell, 4550 mAh

2. g2tl

g2tl Scribbler - Standard Member

Macbooks have the worst edge construction, ever.
    The top edges of the palm rest (where you rest your wrist/arm) are so sharp, it becomes unbearable unless you slightly lift your wrists all the time, which is also uncomfortable. I have a macbook, so I know what I'm talking about :p

I guess the touchpad is a subjective thing, but I cannot possibly imagine going back to that from this blessed trackpoint. It's much more accurate and much more comfortable, both short-term and long-term use.

Regarding the battery, I have both and the weight difference is noticeable. It is also more comfortable to use the x61t in tablet mode with the 4-cell battery. Unless I really need it, the 8-cell battery usually stays in the fridge :p
    In terms of the battery life, the 4-cell gives me around 3 hours of light use, which is good enough for most cases. I usually take the adapter with me too.

3. pibach

pibach Scribbler - Standard Member

g2tl, you lucky. Normally this battery lasts only 1,5h.

4. g2tl

g2tl Scribbler - Standard Member

Haha, I'm almost feeling a bit guilty now.
    I used it just this morning for around 25-30min, and used up 15% with the 4-cell.

5. drd

drd Pen Pal - Newbie

Right now, I'm pretty p'd off with Lenovo and Wacom. As always with Thinkpads, the hardware is as good as it gets, and the software is so bad it makes you want to kill yourself, which is alright since you don't have to use the supplied software. But on the Dual Touch issue there are no alternatives, which leaves you knee-deep in Lenovo software. And nobody deserves that. Not even Hitler.

And Wacom's notoriously deficient drivers have evolved to become defective as well. Yay.

If you're thinking of buying it, know in advance what you want to use it for, and try it out - with the specific applications you intend to use. Cause Lenovo is full of surprises these days. :(

6. jblack

jblack Now a Tablet Convert

:D I am very happy with my X61T now that I have it. I found that I had to pressure them very hard to provide additional value if they missed my ship date. The day my ship date arrived, I called to ask what "concessions" (their word not mine) they were going to add for missing it. They then tried to do a song and dance and stall me. I then called at least twice per day and asked to talk to supervisors as I told them I felt they were stalling and I expected significant concessions for them being late. It then shipped within 72 hours of my first request for their concessions. I have a feeling that I caused someone else to be bumped :( sorry.

I have now been using it for a few weeks and although I get frustrated at times getting everything moved over, I find myself really enjoying it. I bought my first Thinkpad 720P in 1995 and have used only laptops ever since. However this is my first Tablet, and although it is certainly a learning process in finding how to take advantage of the table, I find myself enjoying it more every day. In addition to my first Thinkpad, I have also used Dell, Gateway, Sony Vaio, laptops and several very good PDA's. I have found all of them to have their fine points, but find that I am truly glad to be back to the quality feel of a Thinkpad.

I feel certain as I use this more, I am going to become more and more fond and dependent on it.

7. LaptopGuru

LaptopGuru Scribbler - Standard Member

What kinds of problems are you having? What "software" are you talking about -- the multi-touch driver?

I'm using the Lenovo supplied drivers and Vista Business... I have had drivers crash every once in a while (probably twice a month), but it's Windows, I expect it to be unstable and in need of reboot at least twice a week. Are you having a different problem?

8. montevale

montevale Pen Pal - Newbie

Built quality is great. Sturdy. Mean business looking and light
    Dual touch XGA is perfect, no squinting required and once I'm at the office I have it in the dock and hooked up to a large monitor with higher rez (again no squinting).
    The machine is peppy and I didn't even remove any of the original stuff that was installed by Lenovo.
    Exterior buttons work great in the tablet mode and the touch option is so darn useful when all I need is a quick link or a simple button click (no fumbling for a pen for a simple click).
    Writing on the screen with a digitizer pen is as paper/pen like, there are no delays in redrawing of any kind and every corner of the screen is as responsive as the middle part of the screen.

Keyboard - ROCKS!!! I had plenty of laptops and regular keyboards and let me tell you this one is perfect. You just get this perfectly even tactile feedback after every click.

I had a chance to compare it with HP2710 few days ago, not a thorough feature for feature comparison, but just a brief look and feel overview. HP is a nice looking machine, though it felt slower and even the owner was surprised on the peppiness of my x61. Not sure if this is a good comparison as I have 1.8ghz, 4gb ram, 100gb x 7200rp hard drive and the hp had only 2gb of ram and all other parameters are a bit slower. HP is a bit smaller though as I only have an 8cell battery which protrudes a bit from the body (gives it a great grip in tablet mode though). There are a lot of engineers on both sides worked hard to bring both of these units to the markets and it clearly showed when I was looking at them side by side... However the end of the day I felt that the X61 was a more complete and wholesome product.

The only part that is sort of not in times with the current trend is a lack of a DVI connector on the Ultarbase which should have been added for an external monitor as there is definitely a better picture over the DVI vs VGA.

9. hvanston

hvanston Pen Pal - Newbie

Somewhat happy:
    + really like tablet concept ... productivity anywhere
    - customer service; order system
    - they won't admit turbo problem, although I understand it may be Vista & fixed in SP1
    - 15% restocking fee: they are not "satisfaction guaranteed." Will refund without restocking fee only if they messed up or defect; I ordered the sleeve - cheap, bad fit, not easy to use
    - took a month for tech support to get notice that I had an upgraded warranty that was ordered with the PC

Hardware fine, but due to problems with order process will only order from them again as a last resort.

10. Anorion

Anorion Pen Pal - Newbie

Seriously, I felt the same on my first day with the x61t, so I'll forgive you for saying that. Updating the Wacom driver in order to remap the stylus's button, only to see the touchscreen stop working does that to people. Uinstalling the Wacom driver, reinstalling Lenovo's multitouch driver and the Wacom thing (after a couple reboots) onlyu ephasizes it.

BUT!

It turns out Vista is the real culprit, not Lenovo!
    At least I (being a Vista newbee) discovered that you have to first run the driver .exe-file, and THEN find the SETUP-FILE (!!) somewhere on the harddrive (C://drivers/ver32 for me) and run it once again to properly install it.
    After spending 4 hours and calling Lenovo in the process to fix the touchscreen issue, it turns out to be a Windows error afterall. /Shoo Microsoft!

I currently love my tablet and I regret in no way paying a redicoulous amout of money for the top version. I've had 2 IBM-labtops before this one, but tablet just hooks you for studying (solving excercises, taking notes etc while travelling or during lectures). I'm now officially a tablet-addict and never looking back!

11. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

There is Dell and Toshiba...

12. Accurim

Accurim Pen Pal - Newbie

I had the x61t for about 3 weeks. My screen is pretty wobbly and the laptop just comes LOADED with junk and the software is pretty crappy. As it stands right now I probably wouldn't buy another lenovo

13. snots

snots Pen Pal - Newbie

I just opened my brand new $1500 Lenovo X61T 2 hours ago.

How disappointed I was.

The build quality is quite bad -- definitely not what you would expect from a Thinkpad.

The screen feels wobbly, and to top it off my screen is tilted horizontally to one side, by a few degrees. So, one side of the LCD tilts down, touching the base, while the other side tilts up, not touching the base. There is an air gap of about 2-4 mm on the side that is tilted up --> This is noticeable in real life and pisses the hell out of me.

To make it worse, I called them and told them the LCD tilt issue. Instead of immediately offering to ship me a replacement, they are making me go through the entire order process to put in a whole new order, and then they will initiate a return process. What happened to IBM's excellent service, where they would have just shipped me a replacement and allowed me to ship back the bad one?

I am not being unreasonable -- I expect a brand new computer to be good and not have to be put through crap just to get a properly built one.

If I weren't in the market for a portable compact tablet, I would not buy a Thinkpad again.

See my post at the thinkpad forums for more on my poorly-built X61T: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=61247

14. sano88

sano88 Pen Pal - Newbie

Okay, so I'm *extremely* happy with my X61T with XGA/Multi-touch. I paid $1000, on the following system:

* Model: 7763B6U.
    * Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo L7500 1.6GHz.
    * Display: 12.1" XGA 1024x768 LCD Touchscreen.
    * Memory: 1GB RAM.
    * Storage: 120 GB 5400rpm.
    * Graphics: Intel X3100.
    * Networking:
    * Modem: 56K.
    * LAN: 10/100/1000Mbps.
    * WLAN: Intel 802.11agn(n-disabled), Bluetooth.
    * Security: Fingerprint reader.
    * Battery: 8c Li-Ion batt.
    * Operating System: WinVista Business.

This turned out to be a fabulous deal. I've been using it for about two weeks, and, being someone who likes to make notes and brainstorm on little pieces of blank paper, have ended up going crazy about OneNote (bought the Ultimate Steal from Microsoft) and have turned the laptop into my main computer. I also got a WriteShield screen protector and 4GB of memory, and an external USB DVD reader/writer.

The computer is a little on the heavy side with the 8c battery, but I'll try a 4c battery in a few weeks and see how that improves things.

My biggest problems have been with Vista, but the system restore, if you start it in Safe Mode (a critical aspect!) works pretty well. I spent a _long_ time killing Lenovo apps that didn't make the cut cost/benefit wise (i.e. took up a lot of CPU and provided marginal benefits). I don't know why so many of Lenovo's apps seem so unstable. However, I like the idea of Active Protection. I also like their hot keys and some of their other options. For instance, I've kept around the recovery partition-- I really don't have the time or inclination to restore from scatch.. Sorry, I know a lot of you guys recommend it.

It did take me a while to put the computer into a somewhat stable running configuration. But now, except for the sleep of death that occurs sometimes, I couldn't be happier. My alternative was one of the recent UMPCs that are floating around. I'm glad I went for something with a little more juice.

15. Mitch0686

Mitch0686 X61t vs. Black Chiney

I voted extremely happy. I've had it for 2 days now, and they have been the 2 happiest days in my life so for. Kinda sad but hey!

16. Spare Tire

Spare Tire Scribbler - Standard Member

I had to return it twice because of dead pixels on the screen, that wasted a lot of my time but now that i got it working, i'm extremely happy about it.

17. drgopoos

drgopoos Pen Pal - Newbie

I just returned it , due to many hard ware issues.. very poor support . may be personal experience..

Extremely unhappy

18. bjc1138

bjc1138 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm very happy with my x61T

I bought my tablet (X61T, SXGA+, Vista) only after reading forums such as this (I didn't get much of a chance to demo tablets anywhere). I bought my tablet for law school and now that I'm half way through the semester I can say that I am really happy with it. I have been using one-note to take class notes as well as to mark-up pdf files (i tried pdf annotator as well, but I can't justify the cost at this time). The small size and light weight of the x61t are also an advantage given the number of books and stuff that I have to carry around all day :)

As for performance, I've had no issues running any of the apps that I have to run for law school (word, one-note, acrobat, firefox). No big surprise there though. I've not tried anything really taxing (unless you consider vista taxing). I'd say that the reliability is just fine, the only problems that I've had involve sleeping/waking up and having the network sort itself out, but I think that's more of a driver thing than an x61 thing. I have not yet had a BSOD on this machine. I've not had to use any of the warranty features yet, but I bought the on-site option. I hope I never have to use it :)

I will say that IMHO, the keyboards on thinkpads have been getting worse over time. I really liked my T20 keyboard, the T42 was a little worse, and my T61 and X61 are a little worse yet (too springy). That's a complete nit-pick though.

As an aside, I highly recommend getting a screen protector. I bought one from photodon per recommendations on this board and have been very happy with it. They also sell some nice microfibre cloths which make cleaning the screen easy and streak-free.

FWIW, even though IBM no longer makes thinkpad in the interest of full disclosure ... I work for IBM.

19. bjc1138

bjc1138 Pen Pal - Newbie

Well .... shoot! I guess I spoke too soon on the BSOD thing. I updated the network driver not long after I posted this ... and now I seem to get BSOD with some frequency :(

I'm still happy with the tablet mind you. I'm just bummed that I have to sort this BSOD out.

20. warakawa

warakawa Pen Pal - Newbie

the last post was made in 2008, what is this thread on the first page?