How happy are you with your X61T?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Dolvich, Jul 16, 2007.

?

How Happy are you with your X61T?

1. Extremely happy!

93 vote(s)
    51.1%
  2. Somewhat happy

50 vote(s)
    27.5%
  3. Somewhat disappointed

19 vote(s)
    10.4%
  4. Extremely disappointed

20 vote(s)
    11.0%
  1. linda.sheffield

linda.sheffield Pen Pal - Newbie

Extremely happy!

I am not sure why others are finding the touch screen hard to tap. Mine responds to a very light touch. I place my finger on the screen and roll it forward to click my nail where I want the cursor to go. I just got my machine today. Maybe it has an updated driver ? I know nothing about this. It is just a wild guess. The print is not huge, and the screen is not horribly blurry or grainy. This is one fabulous machine. I also cant believe how easy it is to write on it! I want to get a screen protector, but I am afraid I will lose this great pen feel.

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Actually Linda, certain screen protectors can enhance the writing experience.
    It can add further resistance on the screen. :)

3. linda.sheffield

I read every post on screen protectors too...lol:). I was going to get either the WriteShield or the Box... - anyway, I was out shopping today and the only one I could find was the Vizishield?? - or something like that. Although it looks just fine, it is more slick to write on than the naked screen. You sound like you are speaking with knowledge:). May I ask, which one would you recommend for a good writing experience as well as good looks. I have the MV/MT screen.

4. P8RSON

I was given some NuShields to try out last year and have to say for a writing experience they were very good.

Certain protectors can distort the color and the image, making the screen very hard to read and not have a nice writing surface. Once I had applied these I found the image and color to be crystal clear with zero distortion and a great writing surface.

Have a read at some of the Testimonials from NuShield customers.

5. arrows24

arrows24 Pen Pal - Newbie

I ordered an X61T last month. When does lenovo charge your credit card for the purchase? i.e. Once the laptop is shipped or when you sign on delivery?

6. P8RSON

Arrows24,
    I have already answered this very same word-for-word question here.

Please refrain from asking the same question in multiple topics.
    It causes fragmentation and confusion. :)

7. linda.sheffield

Excellent! Thank you so much for the tip:)

8. P8RSON

No problem Linda...

...and as a matter of general interest, after passing this information on to you, I emailed NuShield to ask on obtaining further protectors for the UK market.
    I received a very kind and professional reply, covering all my queries.
    I will be ordering some more for the T4210's & P1610 I have.

Please do let us know how you get on. :)

9. linda.sheffield

They are lovely, aren't they!

They had me measure my X61 to make sure that the X60 protector would fit perfectly before I ordered:). They really are fabulous:).

So, for everyone here, if you order from NuShield, you can order the X60 tablet size, and it will fit perfectly...at least, to the mm:).

10. Zadillo

Zadillo Pen Pal - Newbie

Is there a good summary of what all these "issues" are? I've been trying to read through the Lenovo forum here, but I haven't located everything that I think people have mentioned/hinted at here.

I am almost definitely settled on the X61t (I ruled out the T4220 because I didn't like the keyboard on it), and have ruled out other notebooks because if getting scared away by people complaining about a variety of minor and serious issues.

Does the X61t actually have enough issues that would make it worth holding off on one? My main interest in it would be probably for writing and web browsing, and I'm thinking the tablet functionality could come in handy too for note-taking, etc.

-Zadillo

11. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Administrator Super Moderator

Hey Zadillo,
    No I don't believe the X61t has enough issues to make it worth holding off. Here's the issues I've had thus far:
    -Benzel issue (everyone has it) - more annoying than anything. It's only noticeable when opening the display or going into tablet mode
    -Turbo memory - easiest way around this is don't get it. Definitely not worth the $50.

I can't think of any other issues I have with this notebook.

12. Zadillo

Zadillo Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks Chaz.

What's the benzel issue (trying to figure out what that might be........ sounds like a combination of bend and bezel or something)?

EDIT: Never mind, just read through the forum discussions about this. Yeah, I guess I can see how it wouldn't be a practical issue (unless it could let dust in), but I guess it would at least give me some pause about general build quality - it does seem odd in a ThinkPad to have an issue like that.

Regarding Turbo Memory; yeah, I'd just as soon just not get it.

-Zadillo

13. hp79

hp79 Scribbler - Standard Member

Somewhat happy

Problems:

-'Tablet input' crashes occasionally.
    -The rubber peice that covers the screw is about to fall off.
    -4 way nav buttons are not really usefull. Hard to press, and feels a bit cheap.
    -After true clean install, and installing all the drivers and apps, the fingerprint reader doesn't work for web pages. It does work for log-in though.
    -MT/MV Screen is little bit dim. I was expecting more than this.
    -Above the hard disk cover, right to the 'enter' key, the plastic part is flimsy.
    -Cannot use windows XP professional with Multitouch screen nor digitizer.
    -Bootup time slow (I would say it's about 5 minutes. Once the HDD stops running, it runs excellent.)

Been using X61 tablet over a month now. True clean installed, drivers and apps up to date. Currently 79 processes running on Vista x64 Ultimate.

Vista x32/x64 Ultimate, 2GB RAM, BT, intel 4965 AGN, intel turbo memory, 7200rpm 100GB HDD

14. krypticide

krypticide Scribbler - Standard Member

Are you using IE or Firefox for the fingerprint reader? If it's just Firefox, you need to install the extension for Password Manager to work.

15. hp79

hp79 Scribbler - Standard Member

I use IE. Is there anything else I have to install? I experienced this problem with both 32 bit and 64 bit Vista.

16. tabletdiehard

tabletdiehard Scribbler - Standard Member

After observing my LCD bezel problem I have to say I am not very happy now. Compared to a regular 12" x61s laptop, this tablet just cost me too much:

$300 more bucks
    1lb of extra weight with me everyday
    a big footprint with a funny, square shape, difficult to fit in bags
    a license of OneNote
    poor built quality (LCD off bezel and popping noise)

My tabletPC experience, on the other hand, is not that thrilling. Sure, I can browse the web in slate mode with my fingers, I can use OneNote as a whiteboard, take notes and draw up ideas, but I just think none of these is worth what I have paid for the tablet. Most of the time I prefer working (or have to work) in the laptop mode, like right now. And I believe many people have the same experience...

17. Dolvich

Dolvich Scribbler - Standard Member

Sounds like at least part of your frustration stems from a lack of tablet usage. How did you initially intend to use the tablet functionality? Is it not performing as well as you thought, or perhaps writing on the screen isn't as useful as you thought it would be?

I got mine for school and while I don't have a lot of uses for the tablet functionality at the moment, I know come September it will be really useful. It would be interesting though to learn more about how people use their tablets. Could be uses that we've never considered.

18. smoothoperator

smoothoperator Pen Pal - Newbie

Lenovorocks, would you return the X61T you have now if you could? I am in a similar predicament and I am considering returning mine (they are allowing me to), I am not sure what I would get if I did return it, but hypothetically speaking if you were able to return your unit what would you get?

19. P8RSON

I have to say, in reference to the amount of time spent in Tablet mode I would agree with you wholeheartedly.

My time is roughly 75% Laptop v 25% Tablet mode.
    However, for me it's enough to warrant the necessity of owning a Tablet but then my uses are most probably radically different to yours.

If the problem concerns you that much then yes, maybe a Laptop would be suffice for your needs.

Maybe next time if there is a next time, have a stronger peek at the Fujitsu. :)

20. tabletdiehard

tabletdiehard Scribbler - Standard Member

I really appreciate your replies, guys.

My frustration is mostly due to the sudden discovery of the LCD bezel problem. I always thought Thinkpad has the highest build quality in all brands, but maybe I was wrong. (maybe someday I'll change my name to lenovosucks...)

About the tabletPC experience: my dissapointment mostly comes from the software. I would be happy if most software provides an inking experience at the level of ArtRage, but the reality is far from that.

Everyone says OneNote is great, but I found the inking experience in OneNote is even worse than Windows Journal. I occasoinally have the problem of failing to select drawings, failing to resize a selection, etc.

Another killer application I thought is PowerPoint. But the inking support absolutely sucks in PowerPoint. It seems to treat ink as a special layer. I cannot even group inking with regular objects and move them together!

Maybe things will evolve over time.

No, I am not returning it for another laptop. I already have an X31 Thinkpad, which works for 4.5 hours on a single charge. IMHO no other Thinkpad has a better design than the X31. It has a nice shape and the palmrest is cool. In the last 5 years the Thinkpad design has not been making much progress... every new product in this line is just getting worse.