How does one efficiently interact w/ file dialog boxes?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by WillAdams, Sep 16, 2015.

1. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Okay, running a variety of application in Windows at work, some Java, some new Office-style, other legacy Windows apps.

Pretty much every one has a different file dialog box for Open / Save.

Some have the Favorites, while others have Places, most lack the file location bar.

Given the situation of:

- project folder is open in Windows Explorer (this folder is a sub-sub-folder of a Jobs folder which has over a thousand customer folders, which is itself several levels deep)
    - app has new file open which I wish to save into the project folder

How does one efficiently transfer that location into the app's File | Save dialog box for those apps which don't support Favorites? Or is one consigned to being Sisyphus and having to repeatedly re-navigate so as to get to that location? The best work-around I've found thus far is the burlesque of putting a shortcut on the Desktop, navigating to the Desktop, then opening the shortcut --- is there no better option? This is a work machine, so any utilities or changes have to be requested through MIS.

(On a Mac I'd have the current project folder in the Sidebar and it'd be a single click)

William

(who is pretty tired of iSheep and other anti-Mac comments, and getting very, very tired of putting up w/ Windows)

Aman likes this.
  2. Aman

Aman Scribbler - Standard Member

I do appreciate your views and hope Microsoft is listening!

I love some stuff which Apple does!Especially the asthetics aspect!

But not everything what Apple does is practical in today's world.

I like Steve jobs very much and the whole industry knows how Apple changed way we experience User Interface on all modern tablets or PCs.

In this bussiness ,there is a golden rule,Successful people will always inspire others to great things and thats what Apple has done with surface and may be that is what Microsoft will do a bit with iPad Pro.
    People who want to be successful but aren't do not help others.

I believe in power of cloud but not many are fortunate enough to have a continuous internet connection or to afford cloud service if they need access of whats available free.

I also believe that in future ,even cameras,all devices will be cloud connected.
    Surface is more relevant today than the iPad Pro.
    As cloud becomes more accessable,iPad Pro may have a better chance to success.

I don't want to hurt any Apple Fanboy,forgive me if you are hurt!

However,I am the victim of Apple products so please understand how much problems we faced with such expensive entry level iDevices.That caused me frustation enough to dislike some iDevices for sometime while almost neglecting what's great in Apple devices.

One of features which windows deserves applause for ,is Smart files.Does iCloud have it????

http://www.7tutorials.com/introducing-windows-81-what-are-smart-files-new-skydrive

How easy it is for anyone to make needed files with proper folder collections,make available accessible offline with Smart files?

What else great about Apple is the services like iTunes U,wonderful collection of iBooks with animations and videos in the books for students and iTunes.
    Although services like iTunes already existed before,it was the iTunes which revolutionised how we buy and listen music today.

Well,Unlike Apple,allmost all microsoft services and apps are available on all major platforms and Apple makes available a lot fewer services avalable on other major platforms.Apple has made iTunes U ,iBooks and related apps so tightly integrated that not you cannot access all iTunes U courses wholely on windows and you need an Apple Eco-System to access them.

Windows is a platform for every developer and iOS is primarily a medium for Apple to make money by tieing users to a Apple Eco-System of devices.Microsoft Band will work with iPhones too but Apple watch doesnot work with surface!
    Apple wants to make sure that many people buy iPads just for iTunes U & iBooks and Preuniversity students is one of their very important target market.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  3. WillAdams

Duplicate, off-topic, unhelpful post.

Typical of Microsoft Windows advocates.

4. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So you are blaming MS for the mistakes those ( mostly ignorant Java programs ) are doing?

But as a solution:
    Click/Tab the breadcrumb line in explorer, suddenly it becomes the path. ctrl-c the marked path, paste it ( ctrl v ) into the apps dialog, done.

Aman likes this.
  5. WillAdams

Yes, since it’s only one Java program and in Mac OS X, I’d just drag and drop, a single action as opposed to:

- click
    - copy
    - move mouse
    - click again
    - paste

6. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Complain to the developer of that Java Program.

7. WillAdams

The Java program developer isn't responsible for the Microsoft Windows interface ``feature'' of dragging to a file dialog box being either a move or a copy command --- does anyone actually do this?

If one does do it, and if one then cancels out of the file dialog are such manipulations cancelled?

What is the purpose of being able to copy/move a file into a file dialog box?