How does Dell Inspiron 2-1 laptops compare to HP 2-1 laptops?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by daddyfish, Aug 15, 2021.

1. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

I looked at the Dell (european) site at their Inspiron 2-1 laptops and was wondering how does this lineup compare to HP 2-1 laptops? I never owned these before nor do I know anyone that have them. By coincidence we have a lot of HP 2-1 laptops so I know how the Pavilion, Envy, Spectre and Elite lines compare:
    - Pavilion mostly being plastic, mediocre screens and side cooling;
    - Envy semi-metal but plastic inner parts for hinges (unless HP changed something with new models);
    - Spectre being metal and good screens;
    - Elite generally being more durable & reliable (being a business laptop).
    I also know that Dell XPS 2-1 compares to Spectre (or slightly more luxurious).

For instance lets pick the Inspiron 15" 2-1 (Intel 11th gen u-series / Tigerlake) with Truelife WVA-touchscreen and aluminum casing (according to Dell). Ignoring the prices, should I compare this to HP Envy of HP Spectre or is it somewhere between? Does Dell use plastic or metal parts for the hinges? Is the cooling similar to the Envy line?

(ps: I realize this is a rather broad question that some tech sites have tried to cover but I find those articles generally to focused on specs and find the people on this forum much more knowledgeable at looking at the whole picture)

2. daddyfish

Please anyone, with sugar and cherry on top? I was looking forward to some TPCR opinions about this.

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Maybe someone who has tried all tablets under the sun can answer this (calling @dstrauss..)

daddyfish likes this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Sorry guys, but I haven't owned a Dell since the early days of the XPS 15. They just always seemed overpriced to me. I am VERY prejudiced about the x360 as the best laptop I've ever owned, but like all the 2-in-1 devices is too big and bulky for tablet use. You might check out The Verge and Windows Central:

https://www.theverge.com/22264792/hp-spectre-x360-14-laptop-stylus-oled-review-price-specs-features

https://www.windowscentral.com/best-2-1-laptops

daddyfish and JoeS like this.
  5. daddyfish

, yeah that is a good point. I do like having a big touchscreen canvas but yoga style hinge is a bit awkward for 15" and I noticed that if the hinge is not well build it will snap within 1-3 years (possibly at the inside of the hinge if they used plastic parts, like with my old Envy). It does seem like high weight (~2 kg) increase the chance this will happen (which would also explain the high failure chance of hinges of 17" Envy laptops). In that regard for example a Samsung Galaxy Book Pro 15" at ~1.5 kg might be more durable.

dstrauss likes this.