How do you think the Slate will fit into your gadget world?

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by jgjackson, Nov 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

First off, you did get the bargain of the year with that 2730 purchase! Nothing feels quite the same as getting a true bargain :D

As to everyone else's points about latest cpu tech being overkill for most apps, I have to concede your points are well taken. It's just the combo of netbook hardware and the $800 price point that bothers me. Add an SSD and you're up to $1,100 - not for an instant-on, all day on battery 10" screen device, but for, well, an 8.9" low res netbook without a keyboard. Moreover, I have warned this elsewhere, but beware of getting the first crop of ANY HP product. They're late, they're defect-laden, they cause you to spend hours with tech and cust support and many trips to the shipping depot. I say this out of genuine concern for you all, not to rain on your parade. Your excitement is palpable and I would rather lower your expectations and have you (and me) be pleasantly surprised if they over perform.

Oh, and, if the early reports are glowing, I will have my name on the waitlist!

Best of luck!

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

All points well taken - being on the bleeding edge is really no place for someone on Plavix (ha ha). Especially with an already delay-ridden first crop, it does leave one wondering what's up next - BUT - they have a good return policy ($15 fee within thirty days) and I wouldn't hesitate to kick it back if it stumbles right out of the gate. Besides all that, as Dan or Bronsky said in one of these threads, much more of a delay and we'll get to cast the net at CES for something even better if need be.

3. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

LMAO...like the scene in "Life of Brian"...overkill, overkill, overkill...why it can't get any worse for me now!

4. DaveP

DaveP Scribbler - Standard Member

The Slate will be my note taker during my job as a cube warrior. It will replace my Asus T91MT which replaced my OQO 2 (dead motherboard) which replaced my Motion m1300 (after many years of service). I'll also use it for couch surfing at home.

I wouldn't worry about the speed. Win7 is slow on the T91MT but it is running a Z520 at 1.33GHz with a 249 PassMark score. The Slate has a Z540 at 1.86GHz with a 341 PassMark. I wouldn't expect instant response out of Photoshop but for the TIP and straight inking I think it will do fine, judging from my experience with the slower T91MT.

5. species5618w

species5618w Scribbler - Standard Member

I am evaluating whether it will be a laptop replacement for me (with BT keyboard). I had high hopes for ipad, but while it was a great entertainment device, I couldn't see how it could replace my laptop. Of course, I got bashed on the ipad forum for saying that since apparently nobody needs a laptop. :)