How do you think the Slate will fit into your gadget world?

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by jgjackson, Nov 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

The answer - because it is NOT a yellow pad replacement. I want maximum portability to cart around the office to client meetings, research sessiosn, etc. The Slate can share the same notebooks in OneNoe with mymain computer, so it gets me one step closer to a paperless office. As for the S-10; same problem as the Dell Duo - no active digitizer.

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Lovelaptops - The Lenovo S-10T is only a multi-touch and no pen, I do not need a keyboard or mouse when mobile, and I have Bluetooth Keyboard and mouse for when I'm at my desk at work or home. Add the HDMI out and my USB Universal dockingstations with Video Cards...I can drive 3 monitors just like the Lenovo X200T it is replacing....

With S10T you can't really get good inking on a capactive device....I have tried on my Toshiba W105...really it works for navigation and maybe highlighting...

3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Mea culpa! I did not realize the S-10 was capacitive only. Still a fan of Tablet PCs as long as they are as light and powerful as the 2740 and now with a fantastic screen. I happen to think 8.9" is too small for note taking - I find 12.1" to be a stretch.

Not saying I wouldn't love to have a much smaller device to take along for weight saving and instant on/off; just that well, size - and power - really does matter, especially when you're dealing with W7, which just doesn't perform very well with weak cpus and low memory. Given how powerful and light the Sony Z and new Macbook Air are, I'm thinking that kind of engineering has more promise than underpowered miniaturized devices. Shrink those to 10" screens and you're likely to be under 2 lbs. Finally, I do love the idea of the Lenovo 2-part device shown at CES last January. Wonder if that will ever materialize.

4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I don't know....Windows 7 rums great on Atom CPUs...

I have Windows 7 running on a Toshiba Netbook that has an Atom N280 and 2 GB of RAM (I also put a 128 GB SSD), when I owned a Fujitsu U810 with an A110 CPU running at 800 MHz it ran Win 7 fine and actually inked well.

I find that an Atom with a good SSD is key to performance on Win 7

5. dstrauss

I agree with jnroach - Win7, since beta, has run very well on my Dell Mini 9 with 2gb ram and a 128gb SSD (yes, Supertalent actually made an PCIE connection "T" shaped SSD that has 128gb capacity. The Mini 9 has a first generation Atom - the lowest of lows, and very poor video graphics, but this is a very zippy system. I can't help but believe the Slate 500 will do as well.

6. jgjackson

jgjackson Scribbler - Standard Member

There are always people who feel if they aren't in the 99th percentile of available performance, there machine is underperforming. I remember about 3 years ago seeing a debate about whether a I GHz dual core processor was fast enough for running Photoshop or not. My comment was that Photoshop runs great on an old 200 MHz single core Pentium Pro chip, so I wouldn't worry about any modern processor being fast enough.

I used to be one of those people who spent WAY too much money to have the top-of-the-line machine. After a couple of generations of technology I realized I was actually better off buying cheaper computers twice as often.

I'm not really concerned about the speed of the CPU on the HP Slate. Where it lacks should be balanced by the speed of the SSD drive. I'm more concerned about the ntrig digitizer and stability of sleep mode.

7. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Slate is in my e-dream

8. dstrauss

jg -

I think I finally learned that lesson a few years ago myself thanks to eBay. I could buy "last year's (or two)" technology for less than half price, and surprise, surprise, it ran all my software just as well has the newest hyper-threading data bit gobbling monster on the showroom floor. In fact, my primary need is for MS Office (no Autocad or Photoshop Pro here), and despite migrating form Office 97 through all the upgrades to 2010, it just doesn't tax a 2006 vintage processor very much. My last eBay bargain was two months ago with a $506 HP 2730p, 4gb RAM, 160gb HD, two batteries, DVD slice, and three power supplies (one being a car unit). :D

I think others are slowly learning this "truth" (kind of like NEVER buy your HDMI cables from Best Buy - that $59 high tech "bargain" does no better than the $6.99 cable from Amazon). Cap that off with your other observation - sufficient RAM and a good SSD make things seem much faster than the processor speed/core issue, and you have a recipe for success.

9. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

+1

Look at my list of gadgets...not to mention that after a new battery, the TC1100 is now what I am using full time once again. My primary need is also for Office (Outlook is my PIM and I use it 90% of the time, OneNote 80% of the time, and the rest about 10%) and occasionally PantShopPro X2. If I need CAD I use the family desktop.

How does this ancient 1.2 GHz Centrino handle these activities? I installed RMClock yesterday and I was surprised to find out that it is actually throttled to 598 MHz most of the time and I cannot even tell!

The 1.8GHz HP Slate 500 is overkill...LOL!

10. dstrauss

Man, are you going to take a beating for that quote, or what! Those of us who can remember the 4.77 MHz (yes boys and girls, MHz) of the original IBM PC die laughing at the obsession with i7 + 3GHz speed-boosting processors. :eek: