How do you think the Slate will fit into your gadget world?

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by jgjackson, Nov 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgjackson

jgjackson Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm wondering how others think the HP Slate 500 will fit into your gadget world. My pre-slate world looks like this:

* HTC TouchPro 2 Windows Mobile 6.5 phone with a 3.7 inch WVGA screen. It's my primary voice and email device. I often skim the news through mobile web sites and blogs through reader.google.com. I'm getting tired of the small size of the screen though. I keep about 1000 songs on it.

* iPaq 210 Windows Mobile 6.1 PDA with a huge 4inch VGA screen. I primarily use this as an ebook reader (Laridian.com) because the screen surface area is so much bigger. Occasional web surfing. All my music (5000 tracks) is on it, but all music players on Windows Mobile are pretty much bogged down one way or another by that much music. It's often used as my MP3 player at home whereas the phone is what I use on the go.

* Gateway C-120x tablet with a 12" 1280x800 screen. This is my real go-to machine for my computing needs: everything from Adobe Production Bundle to Offce, OneNote, and Logos Bible Software, where the bulk of my book library is (well over 3000 books).

* Old self-built desktop system. This is my server. I remote desktop into it from the phone or pda occasionally to access Logos. It used to be my Orb server, but I haven't used that in years. It can also run my Adobe software, but it's currently a couple versions behind. Finally, it has yet another backup of my critical files, besides the USB drives, that can be accessed quickly should another device fail. It also is my Digital Audio Workstation for recording music. Modern systems don't support the PCI cards I use for capturing multiple tracks of audio sumultaniously.

I see the slate as replacing the PDA entirely. Although it isn't quite as portable as the PDA, the few times I think that would be an issue, the phone can fill in.

I also see it replacing most of my mobile uses of the TabletPC. I probably won't be running Adobe software on it, but Logos, OneNote, Word, and FrameMaker are definate. The slate will be the device I take to church to serve as my Bible and notepad. The slate will be the device I work on Bible lessons on and read books on.

I'm not sure what to do about the TabletPC and Desktop systems yet. They are both long of tooth. I need a 64-bit system to run some of the Adobe CS5 software. The desktop will be kept around to be my digital audio workstation. Since portability will no longer be as much of a concern, the question becomes what to replace the TabletPC with. Should I get the 13.3" Fujitsu T-900, get a traditional laptop with an external Wacom tablet, or build a new desktop system? I guess it will depend on how good an experience the HP Slate 500 will be.

I hoping it will be good enough that I decide I don't need any other mobile device since its much cheeper to build a desktop system. But I'm suspecting I'll end up wanting to supplement it with another convertable Tablet or at least a LapTop. We'll see, I hope.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I am really hoping that the Slate will fully handle my mobile computing needs and replace my regular laptop (HP 2730p). I am toying with the idea of building a hot power desktop and foregoing a laptop altogether, which would be a new experience for me, since my last desktop was an Everex 286 upgraded to a powerful 386SX (man, did I just date myself or what - why do you think I have the avatar I do). Seriously, I have been solidly in the laptop camp since the Toshiba 1100+ and until now have never considered straying.

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I want to use it as a digital sketch pad that I can take anywhere and draw or paint in Photoshop. The more common 12 inch wacom penabled tablet pcs are too big and heavy, and the only other active digitizer tablets smaller then 12 inchs are the hptc1100 and the ls800, both of which run photoshop horrid.

4. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It will replace my regular computer (TM2)

5. welly1

welly1 Pen Pal - Newbie

for me it will be an ereader. I need a win7 ebook reader cuz i deal with complex pdf's and on this device i can also take notes directly into word.

6. Tiezep

Tiezep technology enthusiast

not at all.

this web tablet fad will blow over in a year or two,
    -Tyler

7. galingula

galingula Scribbler - Standard Member

My phone is an HTC TP2 as well. It does a hell of a lot, but it's screen is too small for what I need to do. Plus the OneNote integration is less than ideal.

I've never had a lap top, too bulky, and as I'm a front man for several organizations, I don't like having a laptop between me and whom I'm trying to face to face with. I don't know how to explain it, but eye contact and not having technology between me and a person is important to me.

I see the 500 as my first laptop. It's advertised to do exactly what I want in my portable device. OneNote and office, and the occasional AutoCAD stuff. I run meetings, and the pen for OneNote will be HUGE for me. I currently operate with paralegal pads, the small legal pads. I like the size, and I can write and sketch on them. My Slate will replace them. I think its size, and the fact I can write on it will fulfill my desire to not put technology between me and the eyes of the person I'm communicating with. I see this being perceived as a paper note pad, which is great for me. Once again hard to explain.

My concerns are whether I'll be able to rest my wrist on it while writing. And how well the handwriting recognition is

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

If this thing is even remotely operable, it will become my "yellow pad" replacement as well. I love having OneNote and searching the notes without having to convert to text, but even the HP 2740p is too bulky and intrusive in those meetings (plus, the 2740p screen is dim in an office environment even at full brightness).

9. wubbzy

wubbzy Pen Pal - Newbie

Depends how well the Slate performs, but I see it as a complement to my work-issued notebook, high-end home PC, and Kindle reader. I'm a big OneNote fan, and I'm hoping the new Slate will be a replacement for my paper notebook, portable and unobtrusive enough to take to meetings and keep open on my desk for notes and to-do lists.

I also do a lot of PDF reading, so being able to read and annotate will be a helpful feature.

One other thing I like is the idea of a tablet that can act as a portable, but also plug into a dock and be used like a nettop with a full-size monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Let me tell you how to make the 2740 perfectly acceptable as a yellow pad replacement:

1) Use a Fujitsu T-730 for note taking for about a month, then switch back to the 2740 (as I just have) and it will feel positively fly-weight by comparison!

2) Get the latest 2740 with the Boe Hydis "outdoor" screen ($75), and it will be plenty bright and vivid to use in any light

I got this 2740 with 4GB, 160GB SSD, Core i5-540 for $1,500 (HP's way of saying "We're sorry" for 4 defective units in a row!)

I'll manage with the slightly heavy form to get the equivalent of a powerful DTR that you can write on (and do multi touch too, whee!) for less than twice the price of the 2GB Atom Slate. It was even worth it with the heavier Fujitsu.

I know, I know, the 2740 will seem heavy again, especially with the slate battery I'll need to get 6 hrs, and getting $800 off the price is a one-off. I'm just sayin...tablet PCs still have a lot going for them; slates are just, well, $800 yellow pads or netbooks with no keyboard or ports! (For that matter, why not just get a Lenovo S-10 tablet PC for $550 and at least get the rest of the netbook and pocket the $250?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.