How do you get to the BIOS

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by jperl, Dec 31, 2010.

1. jperl

jperl Pen Pal - Newbie

Would some one please tell me how to get to the BIOS.
    When I hit ESC on boot, all I see is a protected BIOS with very little info.

2. Juke

Juke Pen Pal - Newbie

Hit F11 when the HP logo appears

3. jperl

jperl Pen Pal - Newbie

Pressing F11 at the HP logo takes me to the Recovery Manager, not the BIOS.

Any other suggestion?

4. fattyboy

fattyboy Pen Pal - Newbie

Use ESC to bring up the start up manager then F10 for BIOS.
    You should a list of option from there as well.

5. dwaynevbrooks

dwaynevbrooks Pen Pal - Newbie

Press ESC when prompted after restarting, then press F10.
    Why do you need to go to BIOS, if you are not able to get to it, you should not be messing with it.

6. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

wow, no one understands what he is trying to do :p (he wants to access a real BIOS, not the "kiddie" bios we can use that has no real options/ tools)

OK, so from what I understand of it, if you want to get to a full bios you will have to use whatever the technicians would use to access it (I'm not sure if it is a seperate BIOS, or a "BIOS unlocker"; but you are supposed to be able to contact them, and they are supposed to either give you the BIOS, or BIOS utility they use; though it is not usually that easy)
    A lot of people have done this before, but HP is a bit inflexible when it comes to tech/ customer support; so I have no Idea if you will get anywhere talking to them.

I think you don't stand a chance to get to the real BIOS, but what the heck, you might as well try, right?

7. sirgrinalot

sirgrinalot Pen Pal - Newbie

In that case you need to use a tool called ezh2o. It was leaked from inside for modifying inside bios. But even if you get the tool and grab the bios from hp's site, I think the new packages are locked and or unextractable. If I remember correctly they no longer work with pheonixtool. And if you did manage to extract the bin, you have to find the correct setting in ezh2o without support and/or manuals. Say you got that far, hope real hard the flash doesn't brick the laptop. If it gets bricked then you have to chance it with the very flakey insyde bios recovery procedure. If unsuccesful in recovery, you are pretty much stuck with a very expensive brick. All in all, I don't recommend it unless you can find a proffesional bios modder to take on the task.

8. jperl

jperl Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks Sirgrinalot and Agent9. What a bummer. I never owned a machine where the owner couldn't get to the bios to change settings. Doesn't seem right that I'm paying for a machine that I can't access the BIOS.

9. wakeupneo

wakeupneo Scribbler - Standard Member

To be correct: You can access the BIOS, but just like on any other notebook today, it lacks most features a good desktop overclocking motherboard has. This is how HP protects the nuts in the US of A, who would kill the machine in no time, then end up crying for warranty.
    There is no such thing as "unprotected" or "full" BIOS. Manufacturers use external tools for finding issues and tweaking how those gears turn inside the notebook :)