How do you feel about purchasing Huawei products?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by lovelaptops, Mar 3, 2019.

1. KlickSter123

KlickSter123 Pen Pal - Newbie

I had Huawei P7 in the past, pretty average option. I switched to Apple and got a breakthrough

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...are you paranoid or something?..>>

...No, I'm realistic about the nature of today's world and the practical limits (and vulnerabilities) of today's technologies.

More to the point, I would think that users who have a responsibility to protect client data would not be in a rush to use 5G until it's had a chance to mature...

3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

You do know I was being "ironic" with my comment - I'm 100% behind you and Huawei, "cheap 5G," and China hegemony scare the bej---us out of me!

4. Steve S

I knew that your comment was intended to be rhetorical...

5. lovelaptops

:hi::newpalm::vbbiggrin:

6. Steve S

<<...One can be forgiven for thinking that whatever threat Huawei might present to individual users is not much worse than a Google or a Facebook. But the thing that makes China different is the sheer scope of their effort; data gathering tasks (we'll be kind and not call it what it really is) are spread across the entirety of the Chinese infrastructure with specific elements focused on specific classes of data...>>

This article from Wired articulates why China's cyber theft should be of concern to everyone:

https://www.wired.com/story/china-equifax-anthem-marriott-opm-hacks-data/

daddyfish, lovelaptops and Lilawyn like this.
  7. lovelaptops

Good catch and point, Steve. Kinda discouraging that you and I seem the only people interested in this topic. I guess the only people who make key decisions about this are the heads of state in Europe and other regions, who are enticed by Huawei's lower cost 5G deployments, back doors and spying risks be darned. If anyone is reading this, I want to amplify Steve's point that boycotting even Huawei's consumer devices is not an issue of whether Hwawei consumer is more or less abusive of consumer's privacy than Google or anyone else, it's that Huawei is, for practical purposes, a state-run arm of the Chinese autocratic government and, at least for Americans, whose government is still resisting all efforts of incursion into our networks by Huawei, it is almost an issue of patriotism and security to avoid any proliferation of Huawei devices or business interests into our marketspace. No, an individual consumer purchase will not have impact on the truly global and truly scary issues at play here, but it's about a mindset. I hate mixing politics with tech talk, but this is an "off topic" thread, as far as I know. And this is devastatingly important and devastatingly scary stuff.:vbeek:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    daddyfish likes this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I would not assume that silence implies a lack of interest. Just nothing to say on the issue. I have no interest in Huawei products. I couldn't imagine buying one.

lovelaptops likes this.
  9. lovelaptops

Be nice if you assess lack of comment correctly - given how seldom opinions are expressed vociferously in this forum ;), Thanks for weighing in.

Bronsky likes this.
  10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I posted more in the Other Android forum about experience we had with the MatePad Pro 5G. TLDR, excellent hardware, but the lack of official Google support makes it way too risky and a hassle for most including myself. Too bad too since they are the only ones producing a tablet that could compete with Samsungs S6 or for that matter Apples iPad range.