How do I turn off internal mic?

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by jasoncli, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I asked for a print screen, noone has seen fit to do this, so i'm going to show you where you need to disable the mic.

Playback devices, speaker, properties, levels, & mute the mic.

[​IMG]

2. NeoLibCon

NeoLibCon Scribbler - Standard Member

Dr. Tiger: I don't know how to do screen shots, or I would have given you one. On my computer, under "levels" in speaker properties, there is no mic level. There used to be, but it still wouldn't turn the mic off. Now there is a "PC Speaker" and an "Input Monitor".

Well, good news! You can mute the input monitor, and now the mic is off. Finally.

3. DRTigerlilly

Your computer should have a button called PrtSc that's the print screen button, it might need to be used w/ a Fn key. When you press it you can paste a picture of your screen into a program like paint, or microsoft photo manager.

Alternatively you can also use the Snipping Tool program in Vista.

There are also several other screen capture software available online.

You can then choose to host the image on ImageShack, or Photobucket or similar service or you can choose to upload it directly to tabletpcreview

4. jasoncli

jasoncli Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for all the replies, was on vacation for 2 weeks didnt look at the reponses till now. When I get home I will capture a screenshot of my mic properties, but I am showing a red line through the microphone, and yet I still hear external sound being pumped through the mic to my headset. I havent updated any drivers or tweaked my system too much since I've gotten it, so it is a bit of a mystery to me. I've turned down the volumne down and that helps but if I am tapping on my screen I can hear every tap.

5. DRTigerlilly

jasoncli,

NeoLibCon figured out the variation in the Gateway sound card how to do it, i outlined it using my soundcard which is different.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. jasoncli

jasoncli Scribbler - Standard Member

Excellent, how unintituitive. I thought computers were supposed to make lives easier :) Thanks for the tip.

7. demoman_chaos

demoman_chaos Pen Pal - Newbie

I am having a similar issue with my Gateway tablet laptop.
    My laptop came from the factory with Vista, but I installed XP to dual-boot with Linux. I am trying to disable the mic, not just mute it. The problem is, it uses the same driver as my audio so disabling it disables my audio entirely (the driver is IDT audio).
    So device manager is out, and the same could be said about my ideas (I am out of them).
    Also, the buttons on the screen seem to be not working (the only ones that do is one with a key logo that opens the task manager and the up and down arrows adjust brightness). I would guess there is a way to shut down the mic from there, but I can't say since I can't access the menus.

Does anyone here know something I am missing?

8. ctyinglee

ctyinglee Pen Pal - Newbie

there should be a tablet buttons driver for those and if you're talking about xp if you could try the gtwupd.exe - Gateway Update, version 3.2.0.8
    Gateway Support Drivers & Downloads

or if that doesn't like you it's that driver, and it can be found under gateway support drivers, chose notebook, cx-140 xp, see the dirvers then go to the bottom and select to see the other drivers. as for linux, would windows drivers work for them? if not you're out of luck as I don't believe gateway produced anything for linux unlike dell.

and i apologize for partially hijacking this post, but is there a gateway utility to have the screen brightness setting set? ie whenever i restart the computer it goes back to the mid brightness and i need to hit fn+(down arrow) to reduce the brightness (not through the nvidia graphics gui as this uses a diff algorithm. I noticed this after i reformatted the computer.

9. demoman_chaos

demoman_chaos Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, I'll see what those drivers do for me.

For your brightness problem, there should be an option for brightness in power management or screen properties.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.