How commuting-friendly is the 12.9" iPad Pro?

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by kylera, May 20, 2018.

1. kylera

kylera Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm going to pick up an iPad Pro sometime this year, and I'm debating over the sizes.

My two main uses are annotations on documents, and reading things - comics, articles, novels, etc., The other thing, though, is that I use public transit regularly.

I used to have an iPad 2 before, and I often used it during my trips for reading or games. Half the time, I felt the size was just right, and during the other half, I felt it was not big enough.

Which size would you recommend?

kneehowguys likes this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For heavy commuting/public transport usage.......the benefit of Smaller footprint and weight of the 9.7 or 10.5 inch iPads would easily outweigh the benefit of having a larger canvas. I say go small.

dstrauss and Bronsky like this.
  3. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For a summer job, I was on a very long bus ride everyday and I used the 15 inch surface book 2 and it was lovely. If you're on a bus seated, you really can't go too big imo

If I had to take the subway? Crowded/standing holding a metal pole? Would go as small as possible, would use a phablet or maybe can shove an ipad mini into a big jacket pocket easily.

4. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

What kind of crazy train or bus do you ride that you don't have two inches of room to spare? Do you have to ask for a 10 inch sub instead of a footlong at the deli if you want to eat it on the train?

5. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

12" devices are a lot more cumbersome to hold, especially with one hand, than 10" devices.

6. YVerloc

A lot?
    You should be saving you money for a robotic exoskeleton instead of a tablet.

siddhartth and doobiedoobiedum like this.
  7. Bloom

Bloom Pen Pal - Newbie

What kind of public commute do you have? I used to use the iPad Pro 10.5 on my NYC subway ride for about 15 minutes before the car filled up. It was too large if I didn’t have a seat or if someone was hovering right over me to draw comfortably. The only electronic device I have had no issues with are those that can be held in one hand, like a kindle or phone.

That being said, if you’re in an area where you’ll have a seat and you wouldn’t be taking up too much room with a big ol tablet, then you should be alright. I really feel that the 10.5 was the perfect size for reading, web browsing, movies, and drawing. The 12 is massive, but still pretty light. Just be mindful that you’re holding a $1000 toy, and kind of showing it off in a public space.

8. YVerloc

I sometimes feel like the tablet world has lost it's damn mind. How in the hell is 12" massive? How the hell is 1.5 lbs cumbersome? It's basically the same size as a National Geographic magazine, and roughly the same weight as two National Geographic magazines. If this were 1978, would you go to the news stand at the train station and think to yourself "gee, I'd really like to peruse the last two issues of National Geographic on my train ride, but dammit, those magazines are just too /massive/ and /cumbersome/. I guess I'll get a Reader's Digest instead, that's much more portable".

I would happily mind my own business except that exactly this kind of weird thinking is badly screwing up the market research that is driving tablet design. Those of us who have been waiting patiently for 18 years for a tablet of usable size are being drowned out by a giant army of seeming 105 year olds who are too feeble to hold a cup of coffee

/end rant
    /end rant FOR NOW that is
    /you people are testing me, I tells ya

siddhartth, doobiedoobiedum and JoeS like this.
  9. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Gotta say I've always been confused by this gripe as well. Thinner and lighter looks sleek, sure, but I've always felt that even the old ep121 was an extremely mobile tablet, comfortable in hand. I guess its the difference in the way I use tablets, coupled with my "carry comfort". I often use my lap or a table to draw, I would never draw in a sketchbook just floating in the air, so I wouldn't imagine doing it that way with a tablet either. For reading, generally I would use both hands, and occasionally one hand while drinking coffee with the other. I still understand why we wouldn't call the VAIO canvas extremely "portable" but even that size of slate I can comfortably hold for hours with both hands.

OP is your commute such that you are going to be standing the entire time with only one hand free? In that use case I can totally understand the need for light, though wouldn't a large phone would be the most ideal for that scenario then?

10. YVerloc

Hope you're not recommending a big phone like the Galaxy Note. That's massive and cumbersome. I mean, it's not very portable, is it? If someone got injured from your advice, you'd have blood on your hands, buddy.

/i said 'end rant', not 'end snark'