How can one downgrade a XE700T1C from Win8.1 to Win8.0?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Jamie-B, Apr 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie-B

Jamie-B Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi guys,

I bought my tablet purely to draw on Clip Studio Paint and stream the process; it did this beautifully under Win8.0, but ever since the Win8.1 update, the processor and/or RAM usage between Clip Studio Paint and Google Hangouts/XStream has shot up so much that everything screws up: my tablet driver stops reading pressure properly; my undo combines the last two seconds of actions into one (rather than being per-stroke); I keep getting erroneous palm input; the Samsung Touch Helper ceases to work entirely; and I honestly don't gain anything except for a slightly better on-screen keyboard. I run all the latest Samsung, Microsoft, Wacom, and Clip Studio Paint updates. I've had enough: if the issue hasn't been resolved in over two years of patches, it will never be resolved. I want to return to Win8.0.

However, my tablet (model is in my signature) came from the factory with Win8.0 (quite possibly a Samsungised version of Win8.0). No disc involved, and the software key is unknown to me as it was all pre-setup. Is there any safe way I can downgrade to Win8.0? I talked to a Samsung service rep in England who said that if I reset Windows, the system would return to being a fresh copy of Win8.1, and that Samsung don't keep obsolete versions of the tablet system to reflash specifically to Win8.0. Any knowledge on this? Was he right?

2. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

Have you tried refreshing Windows (and retaining files and settings)? If the machine came with Win 8.0, the recovery (options in PC Settings) may revert you back to that. Another option is download a Win 8.0 image unto a bootable flash drive and reinstall it. BIOS retains your key, so no worries on that regard. You can then download the Samsung SW software and install all their drivers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Jamie-B

Jamie-B Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for telling me about the BIOS holding the key; that's a relief!

I have two options, then:

1) Refresh Windows from the PC Settings menu: may require an ISO to provide 'missing files', but I haven't tried
    2) Recover to my March 2013 recovery point in Samsung's Recovery software; I can choose whether to maintain user data, though I'm not sure if that is wise if I want to downgrade.

Anybody certain on whether either of these will downgrade to Win8.0?

4. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

If the XE700T1 is like the SP1 I had (which originally shipped with Win 8.0) then using the refresh option from PC Settings will get you back to 8.0. You shouldn't need any image to refresh tho, it's all in the recovery partition (provided you haven't tampered with it or that sorts).

I think I'd put the Win 8.0 image on a bootable flash drive before I try your option 2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.